Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Maximum range for moose

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    201

    Default Maximum range for moose

    Thoughts on maximum range of shot to be taken when targeting moose with regards to retaining enough energy for proper arrow penetration to vitals? I had an opportunity for a clean shot at 55-60 yards this weekend and let it go based on this concern.

  2. #2

    Default

    problem with a question like this is its setup specific...along with experience and a host of other factors we may or may not have taken into consideration starting from bh design, weight, flight, foc, blah blah blah...there is no real good answer here.

    The right answer is the very one you excercised imho! making a call based on your own person opinion of your own personal set up. There's a fine line between over confident and being good at something! hats off too you for excercising sound judgement!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    222

    Default

    What he said....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    201

    Default Maximum range for moose

    Good points - thanks. It occurred to me while driving home I should have provided some of those details.

    Going from feeble memory, I recall my setup is a Hoyt Ultramag set at 55 lbs with 30" draw I believe, shooting Easton XX75 arrows w/ 4 blade stinger broad head at 125 grains, and simple/standard basic vanes.

    My comfort level for shot placement in a 3" ring is 40 yards; I believe that I can improve upon this with practice. However, the laws of physics on arrow performance at making a killing shot at a specific range is what prompted my question. Believe me, it was tempting to send one, but the last thing I wanted was to increase the chance for a wounded moose heading down the valley into the weeds and make a mess of things.

    All that being said, any other thoughts? What sort of ranges have folks had good success with while moose hunting?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    problem with a question like this is its setup specific...along with experience and a host of other factors we may or may not have taken into consideration starting from bh design, weight, flight, foc, blah blah blah...there is no real good answer here.

    The right answer is the very one you excercised imho! making a call based on your own person opinion of your own personal set up. There's a fine line between over confident and being good at something! hats off too you for excercising sound judgement!

    ; you best know the limits of yourself and equipment.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Good points - thanks. It occurred to me while driving home I should have provided some of those details.

    Going from feeble memory, I recall my setup is a Hoyt Ultramag set at 55 lbs with 30" draw I believe, shooting Easton XX75 arrows w/ 4 blade stinger broad head at 125 grains, and simple/standard basic vanes.

    My comfort level for shot placement in a 3" ring is 40 yards; I believe that I can improve upon this with practice. However, the laws of physics on arrow performance at making a killing shot at a specific range is what prompted my question. Believe me, it was tempting to send one, but the last thing I wanted was to increase the chance for a wounded moose heading down the valley into the weeds and make a mess of things.

    All that being said, any other thoughts? What sort of ranges have folks had good success with while moose hunting?
    No offense meant to you but can you really shoot 3 inch groups consistantly and with your hunting setup(broadheads) I mean every shot within 3 inches of center at 40 yards because that is great shooting that most cannot do. I commend you for not taking a shot past your comfort level and I really wish more archers would take that position vs the hail mary shot. MOST archers are not as good as they think or claim in my experience(shot many a pro shoot in the states and ran more then one archery shop on top of guiding archers). Your setup would preform fine stretching that distance a bit but just keep in mind past 40 all things seem to magnify so minor issues become major not too mention animals themselves...meaning are they going to take a step before the arrow gets there..ect

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    201

    Default Maximum range for moose

    Ack! Fat finger attack - that was supposed to have been 30 yards, not 40.... I'd say on a typical practice session I can manage that maybe 80% of the time. Not a pro shooter by any stretch of the imagination

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Ack! Fat finger attack - that was supposed to have been 30 yards, not 40.... I'd say on a typical practice session I can manage that maybe 80% of the time. Not a pro shooter by any stretch of the imagination
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with stretching out your distance to maximize your comfort level. with limited info and knowing you are shooting 55# at a 30" draw you are probably shooting 2216 or 2314 or 15 something like that which puts your arrow /broadhead around 475+ which is a good arrow weight IMHO for moose hunting.. there are lots of other factors as pointed out by trad bow but you are on the right track with practice.. I would consider if possibly bumping up your bow weight a bit but to much that your arrows become undersplined.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Never killed a moose with a bow but I have taken a couple hundred deer over the years and if I have learned anything it is that if I can shoot inside a 9" circle at 60 yds in the back yard, my field max range is probably closer to 30 yds. I have made the "perfect" shot at 20 yds only to have the arrow hit an unseen branch at the last minute and miss the deer. I guess I'm just lucky, but it has happened to me many times.

    I teach bow hunting with the Hunter Safety programs and did in AK as well back in the 80's and I always make folks shoot at practice in the positions they will use in the field. A standing shot at 30 yds may be easy, but try the same thing from one knee shooting over a pile of brush down hill...ain't the same as standing. If you are going to hunt from a stand, practice from a stand.

    BTW, I had a student of mine from several years ago called me yesterday to tell me a story of how he got excited about a shot he was about to take on Saturday (opening day) from a stand. He stepped right off the front of the stand and ended up hanging from his safety harness. He said he completely forgot where he was and was concentrating on the shot at a nice 8 pt so much he completely "zoned out" and he couldn't figure out how he got there...hanging from a strap and his bow on the ground and the deer was gone. Never happened to me but I bet he is not the first one to do that.

    Practice the way you hunt and then make sure you realize that the vast majority of us are only about half as good as you think you are when you're in the field.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Long shot, Get closer by stalking or calling, I had the same set up a few years back he sat there at 55 yards and I couldnt do a thing. I did manage to call another bull in to 15 yards but it was todark to shoot. and then never saw them again lol. All in the FMA all within 1/4 form a road too. definately exciting i shoot 52 lbs 560 grain arrow out of my recurve

  11. #11
    Member t-storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    kenai peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    114

    Default

    3 " group at 40 yds is really good. A mooses vitals are much larger than that and I would guess that you would have easily made the shot. I practice at 70 yds often , 70 lbs. @ 274 fps, 27 in. draw,428 grn arrow,with the target being a deer, that way a moose at 50 or 60 yds would be in my comfort range no problem. As for your bow set-up, I don't know the exact calculations, I may be wrong, but I don't believe I would shoot at a moose that far with 55 lbs. . My advise would be to crank your bow up to 60 if you can, also shoot a small diameter arrow like the easton full mtal jacket, gold tip kinetic, or something along those lines. That could be the difference in one lung or complete pass through at the range you were describing. I also set targets up in the woods to simulate hunting situations. Backyard shooting is good but that will prepare much better.
    Hope you get him next time!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Thoughts on maximum range of shot to be taken when targeting moose with regards to retaining enough energy for proper arrow penetration to vitals? I had an opportunity for a clean shot at 55-60 yards this weekend and let it go based on this concern.
    I can tell you that my 61-years of bowhunting (yes, 61-yrs !) have taught me one thing: the heavier the arrow, the better will be the penetration. Broadhead selection is almost as important. I will tell you honestly that I have never hit a big game animal and retreived the arrow: ALL of them were complete penetration shots. If that sounds like BS to you, I will alsos tell you that I won the 1st Alaska Archery Tournament - Heavy Tackle Division, with a 70# longbow and 11/32" wood arrows wth a165-grain field head. That head matched my 165-grain Howard Hill broadheads. I'm sure yu can check that out.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    57

    Default

    First I should echo what has already been said: know your limit and then stick to it. But it is vital to know your set up. How heavy are your arrows, how fast does your bow shoot them? What is the kinetic energy produced by that combo? What is your FOC? Practice shooting as long as you can, 60,70,80 yards and then (as it has been stated) realize that backyard practice doesn't translate to in the field accuracy. I feel confident that I could hit moose-sized vitals at 75 yards, but arrow flight is a long time at 75 yards. Too much can happen for me to feel good about letting an arrow go at that range. I have real problem with fellas who go out and buy a bow, sling enough arrows to pass their test and then let arrows fly nonchelant like there are no consequences if they miss the vitals. Know your set up, know how you shoot it, then practice the daylights out of it. Then, shoot some more. I intend on wearing out my Hoyt from shooting it too much.
    BTW
    Hoyt Vector Turbo @ 67#
    Easton FMJ total weight 507 grains
    Roughly 15% FOC
    Arrow velocity 272fps
    KE= 83f/lbs (apparently enough for African big game, just a dream...)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    201

    Default Maximum range for moose

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions... Was lucky enough to sneak up within 25 yards on one and sealed the deal with a full pass thru double lung shot... 10 slow steps and then laid down. My feet were anchored in the same spot for a bit over an hour to make triple sure it was down for good.

    Felt very blessed that my first archery moose was a quick, clean kill without the panic of a big chase and having to track in the fading light.

    Made for a busy evening but full freezer and happy wife

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions... Was lucky enough to sneak up within 25 yards on one and sealed the deal with a full pass thru double lung shot... 10 slow steps and then laid down. My feet were anchored in the same spot for a bit over an hour to make triple sure it was down for good.

    Felt very blessed that my first archery moose was a quick, clean kill without the panic of a big chase and having to track in the fading light.

    Made for a busy evening but full freezer and happy wife
    Congrats on the moose!

  16. #16
    Member akchase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    42

    Default Maximum range for moose

    Congrats on the moose

  17. #17

    Default

    congrats XL! Good things come to those who wait !

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    congrats XL! Good things come to those who wait !
    How long do you wait for? Am currently trying to do a rifle moose hunt, but my buddy is doing an awesome job of convincing me to take up archery...

  19. #19

    Default

    food for thought.....

    the only person who can convince you to do something is you! if it takes someone else to do it, you'll never stick with it. Bowhunting isnt something you can dabble with and expect consistent results. You're better off all in or taking up something else and saving yourself the headaches! JMHO!

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    food for thought.....

    the only person who can convince you to do something is you! if it takes someone else to do it, you'll never stick with it. Bowhunting isnt something you can dabble with and expect consistent results. You're better off all in or taking up something else and saving yourself the headaches! JMHO!
    Duly noted TradBow...but how am I supposed to know if I like something unless I try it out ("dabble")...just like how I got into hunting a few years ago (thanks to the same friend that wants to take me bow hunting), I will try it out....lets be honest bow hunters are crazy to want to close the distance between them and wild game before they harvest it when you can make a good ethical shot at twice or three times the range without really batting an eyelash...quite frankly I will like to develop the same level of craziness/passion about this method of taking game...The only thing I can do now is to research it as much as possible, get to know something about it, and when I get home in February continue by actually taking classes and getting my hands on a bow...I know it might take me several years to harvest game, but with good coaching and good practice, sooner or later it will happen...now if I decide later on down the road that it's not for me or that I just prefer to rifle hunt, so be it...but at least I would know that I have tried it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •