Thread: 2005 Merc 225 HP 4 stroke............good or bad...?

Default 2005 Merc 225 HP 4 stroke............good or bad...?

I am looking at a used 05 Merc (Yamaha) 225 4 stroke to repower a stern drive boat.
    The motor has 500-750 hours, was run in the salt.
    There is a pair and they were removed for a repower, one is C and the other is CW, one of the motors developed a overheat issue, the other motor was still running OK.
    Apperently these motors often have corrosion issues that require replacing the midsection.....
    Any body running one of these?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I believe that the power heads on those are made by yamaha. Everything else is mercury. I have heard that they are prone to corrosion as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have heard that as well, if the deal come together I would have to replace the midsection, parts I am told, run 2500 bucks. I would be suprised if we put on a 100 hours a year and the boat would not be stored in the water. I am assuming we could get 1000 hours out of this motor if we flushed it everytime we pulled it out of the water.......The deal would include both motors, I only need one..........bit of a gamble eh?
    TR

How hard did they run them? What kind of boat and how many RPMs? Did they run it like a bass boat? If the boat was underpowered, I'd be careful. 2k + hours is a possibility if they took care of it and the boat was adequately powered.

It's all about changing the fluids every 100hrs, and running them at sane RPMs to get max life. I know of guys with 3500+ hours on their Yami F150s who change their fluids religiously.. and others who blew the F150s at 700hrs who didn't change fluids.

They were on a CG boat, they were probably serviced routinely but the price took a big jump (auction) so I passed.
    It looks like I will be using the 350 that came with the boat, if its usable....? Hope to pull it out this weekend and see what it needs.
    Hopefully we can rebuild it...........

Would love to hang a OB on it, sure would free up some space in the cockpit, but more $ than I can justify in this project.....J
    TR

As an ex-coastie, I can say you did the right thing by passing. We were rather tough on things..

I have to agree with 270. Anytime there is a different owner from the operator, there is definite reason for concern. Charter operators that are non-owners can fall into this group as well.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded