Thread: How many bow hunters switch

Default How many bow hunters switch

Was wondering how many bow hunters here start their yearly hunt with the intentions of hunting with a bow then switch halfway through and gun hunt? Not Knocking anyone, because my short hunts are adding up with no meat in the freezer.

Default Re: How many bow hunters switch

I enjoy shooting my bow and the challenge of hunting. That being said, the main reason I bought a bow was for restricted hunts. If I can't get one by the 15th with my rifle I have another two weeks of bow hunting. Not needed this year though
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Congrats on your success, Normally I am done also, this year I focused on getting my 13 year old his animal. Just was not able to pull things together, spike got away from us last weekend and blew 3 stalks on bou. Now its my turn and the wife is giving me a hard time about the gas money compaired to the meat. Thought this question might get some good stories, you know switch to the rifle on the last day and got the moose at 15 yards.....

Because I catch some greif too I usually do things the other way around. End up going on my first hunt of the year with a rifle for sheep, and then switch back to using the bow after getting some meat in the freezer. Got a sheep and a caribou with a rifle this year and also helped with a moose. Now that the freezer is full (and the wife is happy) I am headed to Kodiak on a goat/deer bow hunt. Seems to take the pressure off a little. I have found short weekend hunts to be pretty tough to consistently fill the freezer with a bow, but it is still a lot of fun trying! Good luck!

I'm a diehard bowhunter and absolutely love bowhunting but when it comes to moose/caribou i'm going to use whatever weapon it takes to get my freezer filled, don't want to miss that opportunity. I hunt the early season with bow than switch to rifle later on if I had no luck. Like right now when there is only a week-week and half left of moose season and I haven't had any luck finding a bull moose; the Ruger MKII 300wm is my weapon.

My goal this year was to shoot a moose with my bow unless i found one bigger than last years 46" bull then I was going to trust my 7pm to do the trick. Opening morning we found a couple bulls that inthought about trying for with a bow, then weather settled in and visibility disappeared. Next morning was more of the same with no visibility so I took the bow out trying to call something in close and nothing came, when the fog burned off and we could see we spotted two bulls that were bigger than my 46" bull and the bow stayed in camp and the 7pm got the job done. No easy way to get close enough for a bow shot without spooking them anyway and not responding to calls. Yes I shoot archery or rifle whenever its convenient.

Certanily not trying to criticize you but this doesn't sound too diehard to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I'm a diehard bowhunter and absolutely love bowhunting but when it comes to moose/caribou i'm going to use whatever weapon it takes to get my freezer filled, don't want to miss that opportunity. I hunt the early season with bow than switch to rifle later on if I had no luck. Like right now when there is only a week-week and half left of moose season and I haven't had any luck finding a bull moose; the Ruger MKII 300wm is my weapon.

Any way its bow only for me. I figure this day and age I am pretty confident that I won't starve to death if I don't kill something with my bow. That fact alone puts hunting as a hobby and my hobby is bow hunting. Now, I am not a trophy hunter in fact I have a cow moose tag coming up that I will be taking my bow and If I come home meatless I'm sure I will find some other source to keep my family and I nourished through the winter. Hunting should be about the journey and not about the destination.

The journey is great and I would not have had input if the journey with my wife's hunt, or the journey with my son's hunt would have ended differently. Would not give those journey's up for any amount of meet. That being said you can not buy any meet that tastes like moose. I consider myself a die hard bow hunter and as a die hard I know the limitations of my equipment. I have 2 hunts left for the year one I have decide to expand my limitations and will carry my rifle, the other I will pull my limitations back. Yes it's about the journey, but without a destination are you not just wondering?

The limitationsisn't with the bow, it is with the hunter. Most people would say one Dall sheep with along bow would be a stretch. I have a friend that has shot 3 in four years. Hisdad and another close friend have also shot a ram in those same years. All withlong bows and self-bows with wood arrows. Now to me they are Die hard bowhunters and very dedicated. Die hard bow hunter to me means, not giving up when the tough getsgoing, and accepting the fact you might not kill an animal but you continue on. I'm not trying toknock anyone's way of hunting, I guess I just have a different definition of a"Die Hard Bow hunter"

Olin