Thread: Any signs of Rut activity out there?

Default Any signs of Rut activity out there?

With the weird weather I haven't had much of a chance to look for any signs of the rut starting with the moose. Been too busy cutting trees that were blown over in my yard to include two that cut my power for almost three days! I hope to get out this weekend and see what's out there. I noticed the "termination dust" on Donnelly Dome this morning so it won't be long now.
    Good luck to all and post some pics.
    Steve

A couple in our group is headed out Tuesday night. I was hoping to hear some rut reports too. I wouldn't doubt this year proves a little more successful to calling than last year with the much cooler temperatures. Just hope it sticks around for another couple weeks, then we can have a warm October.

A friend heard definite bull calls (I.e. not humans) last week northside of the Glenn hwy in unit 13.

The younger bulls are starting to pair with cows. Saw 3 groups this weekend that were 2 or more cows with a bull tagging along. The largest bull was 30-40 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    With the weird weather I haven't had much of a chance to look for any signs of the rut starting with the moose. Been too busy cutting trees that were blown over in my yard to include two that cut my power for almost three days! I hope to get out this weekend and see what's out there. I noticed the "termination dust" on Donnelly Dome this morning so it won't be long now.
    Good luck to all and post some pics.
    Steve
    Rutting for bull moose usually - - - USUALLY - - - occurs along about the third week of September.

Saw two younger bulls (forkie and small paddles) following a cow and a calf around this weekend. Now I just gotta have a rifle with me next time

Saw a young paddle bull during lunch today walking licking his lips and had drool coming from his mouth. Either he was mad or starting to rut, I called to him and he got a little interested until he noticed I was in a silver truck and not on four legs.
    Maybe they will be stirring through the weekend and into next week before season closes.
    Steve

Leaving in the morning for a week. Hopefully they are or will be out of their minds by the time my week is up!! I have a buddy that had one grunting but as soon as he answered the bull shut down. Had another buddy shoot a forkie that came in to some raking and breaking.

had a bull slobbering in my driveway two day ago. (note: my tag filled in August). Have seen several bulls looking in the last week on way home from night shift (0600 hrs) So, yes the rut has begun.

Chris

Default Rut

Spent a week in unit 13...no sign of the rut up where we were. saw cows alone and a few bulls alone. No calls

great news for me i should be back next week from the stan and need to fill the ol freezer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Bull I shot this weekend was chasing a cow along with a 3 point bull. Cow ran into the field and they were chasing her around. Very vocal as well. Unit 16
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Bull I shot this weekend was chasing a cow along with a 3 point bull. Cow ran into the field and they were chasing her around. Very vocal as well. Unit 16
    thats what i like to hear I will be up there chasing bullwinkle around in 3 days

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Hunted unit 20A this past week and on Wednesday the bulls went nuts. Necks all swoll up and acting stupid. We saw a lot of bulls grouped up together chasing cows. Called in a few and shot our 3.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859