Thread: Yamaha Outboard Drive Shaft Bushing Removal

Default Yamaha Outboard Drive Shaft Bushing Removal

Yamaha Outboard Owners,

To anyone who has successfully removed a drive shaft bushing, what tool did you use to remove the bushing from the upper casing housing? Part #25 in this diagram: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partview...100TXRX_-_1999)

I talked to Chad at Deweys and he said he uses a hammer puller. So a tried to fabricate a few different versions of one but I can't get the bushing to budge. I tried to fabricate a gear puller as well with no luck. I have soaked the bushing in Salt Away as well and that has not helped either.

With a 3/4 inch diameter opening to reach through to the top of the bushing and a 1/8 - 3/16" bushing edge to grab, limits the use of conventional gear pullers.

I really do not want to drop the upper casing and hammer it out from the top.

Thanks,

Doug

Default Yamaha Outboard Drive Shaft Bushing Removal

Probably a stupid question, but did you remove the snap ring? What is the bushing made of?

You need a slide hammer with an expanding collet puller.

REFAK,

Probably a stupid question, but did you remove the snap ring? What is the bushing made of?
    Yes I removed the snap ring. The bushing is brass encased in a rubber covering.

akgravelpumper,

Thanks for the information. After I posted the original question, I went to US Bearing on International Airport Rd here is Anchorage. They showed me the blind hole bearing puller sets they sell - the tool you described. But I was not ready to spend $200 on the set that I would use once every 10 years. With some more reseach on the Internet and some phone calls, I found out that O'Reilly Auto Parts stores rented a slide hammer and a blind hole bearing puller attachment. After 3 days of dinking around trying to fabricate a tool to remove the bushing, I got it out in 3 minutes with the right tool.

Doug