Thread: Where to Buy Flies, Soldotna or On Line?

Default Where to Buy Flies, Soldotna or On Line?

I am headed up to fish the middle Kenai river starting the last week of September and intend to do a lot of fly fishing for silvers. I need to buy a bunch of appropriate flies and am wondering if I should just go ahead and order them online now or wait until I get up there and try to find some in Soldotna?

I won't be in Anchorage long enough to shop there and am concerned that there may not be much to chose from in Soldotna by the last week of September.

If ordering online is the answer, where would you recommend? If there is a good spot in Soldotna that I can be assured of finding an appropriate selection of Coho flies please let me know that as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I second DannerAK. This site have EVERYTHING you need.

Since I don't know exactly what to order can you help me spend some $$$? Give me some advice regarding sizes and numbers of flies for about 2 weeks worth of fishing?

I have been told that the go-to fly for silvers on the middle would be a bunny leech in fuscia, chatreuse and purple. Do I go with articulated, standard or both? What size should I be looking for? Any other must-have silver flies for the middle Kenai in late September?

Alaska Fly Fishing Goods is the place to shop for sure. Great website and fast shipping as well. If time allowed in Anchorage, visit Mossy's, Mountain View, and World Wide Angler. Was in Mt View Sunday before last, great selection of flies. As for flies, I would be sure to take some articulated leech patterns in pink, fuschia, purple, chartreuse, and black.

Also, the dolly llama is a great silver fly. At this point, it is perhaps my favorite silver fly. Caught some this past week in SW on olive/white dolly llamas. They sell a chartreuse/pink dolly llama as well, called tutti frutti, which could be very effective on silvers. And then there is the pink/white, among many other colors. Very effective pattern for silvers, bows, dollies, etc... and it gets down quick too as it is weighted with a bullet head.

On your way to Soldotna, you will go through the small town of Cooper Landing. Great (but small) fly shop there Troutfitter's. No where near the selection you would finds at Mountain View in Anchorage, but a place you could pick up some flies and such if needed upon your arrival. My suggestion would be to put in an order online at AFFG if you won't have an hour or two to spend in Anchorage. Either way, be sure to have your sink tips with you.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Alaska Fly Fishing Goods is the place to shop for sure. Great website and fast shipping as well. If time allowed in Anchorage, visit Mossy's, Mountain View, and World Wide Angler. Was in Mt View Sunday before last, great selection of flies. As for flies, I would be sure to take some articulated leech patterns in pink, fuschia, purple, chartreuse, and black.

Also, the dolly llama is a great silver fly. At this point, it is perhaps my favorite silver fly. Caught some this past week in SW on olive/white dolly llamas. They sell a chartreuse/pink dolly llama as well, called tutti frutti, which could be very effective on silvers. And then there is the pink/white, among many other colors. Very effective pattern for silvers, bows, dollies, etc... and it gets down quick too as it is weighted with a bullet head.

On your way to Soldotna, you will go through the small town of Cooper Landing. Great (but small) fly shop there Troutfitter's. No where near the selection you would finds at Mountain View in Anchorage, but a place you could pick up some flies and such if needed upon your arrival. My suggestion would be to put in an order online at AFFG if you won't have an hour or two to spend in Anchorage. Either way, be sure to have your sink tips with you.

-Dan
    I really appreciate the advice, thanks! We fly from Anchorage to Kenai shortly after arrival into Anc so shopping in Anc or Troutfitters is not an option. Unless there is a worthwhile fly shop in Soldotna I will have to order online. Sounds like articulated hareball leech is a must, I'll be sure to get an assortment. I guess I'll add some Dolly Lamas as well, what size would you recommend? Also, should I get a bunch of regular hareball leech patterns or just go with the articulated?

Regarding sink tips, I am a very novice fly fisher, would you recommend going with them exclusively or changing it up along with some regular tapered leaders? Also, could you post a link of where to find sink tips from http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com? I can't seem to find them on their site and don't really know much about them.

Why don't you call Mike at Mossy's and ask him to mail you a few flies.

Regular pink head purple body ESL work great for silvers. I mainly use those for silvers and do really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    Why don't you call Mike at Mossy's and ask him to mail you a few flies.
    That's exactly what I did. He was a good sport, very helpful. Looking forward to trying out whatever he chooses and doing more business with him in the future. Great guy, highly recommend!