Thread: So what do you think caused this ??

Default So what do you think caused this ??

saw this the other day, talked with the owner and he said he tied it up here, same spot all year, went home and when he came back couple hours later boat was sunk. I think that the way he had it pulled up that the water swirling under the hull caused the bank to cut out & the hull tipped over with the current enough for the water to come in over the gunnel. Good thing was it didn't look like it got any water in the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Forgot to put in a drain plug.

Thats my boat I just sold!!! The drain plugs on that boat are 3 " and there are 2.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Steve was that on the Talkeetna just below the rock wall?

my guess would be that the gravel bar was already undercutting (or just slumping) and the boat added additional turbulence and tipped the balance in the river's favor.

extreme measures to get the prop down in the water (where they belong)?

I don't know what happened, but I wonder how you go about getting something like that out of the water other than just dragging it out with something stout. Its not like you can just pump it out.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I don't know what happened, but I wonder how you go about getting something like that out of the water other than just dragging it out with something stout. Its not like you can just pump it out.
    Have not talked to him yet to see if they got it out. But the way the river was dropping It might just be high and dry now. The other problem where he parks is Mayha's runs the queens right by there and swamps the banks he said he broke 3 chains he tied the boat up with this year. Because of that

Stupid question time. Aren't boats built to float? I don't understand the undercutting reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Stupid question time. Aren't boats built to float? I don't understand the undercutting reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think that the way he had it pulled up that the water swirling under the hull caused the bank to cut out & the hull tipped over with the current enough for the water to come in over the gunnel.
    What Steve said pretty much the "PERFECT STORM" for disaster

That boat has a high gunnel and the transom was covered up to underneath the seats had to be a heck of a wave and dip

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The other problem where he parks is Mayha's runs the queens right by there and swamps the banks he said he broke 3 chains he tied the boat up with this year. Because of that
    That sounds possible,...those darn Tourist Predators,....
    I knew that "Steve" Guy, back in the 80's,...he didn't care what happened,.... behind him,...

ahhhh, just kidding, he's a really nice guy,....as I remember,...

among the local river folk, (I used to be one, for quite a while) those noise maker rigs were not real popular,....

PS: to be clear, this an attempt at humor, light heartedness,...seriously, hope that owner got it all figured out well
    I have a feeling Potbuilder's original idea is pretty plausible
    but everybody does need to be "Thinking of the ramifications," of Zooming by anyone else's rig,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Have not talked to him yet to see if they got it out. But the way the river was dropping It might just be high and dry now. The other problem where he parks is Mayha's runs the queens right by there and swamps the banks he said he broke 3 chains he tied the boat up with this year. Because of that
    Wow Roger i was thinking about you when i was there but never thought it might be your boat, i stuck around and helped those guys get the boat up on the bank that night, they didn't seem to "boaty" to me and all their ropes seemed kinda thin for what had to be done. They did get some chains and straps that we got on to the boat and the son backed his truck up to the bank to try and tow it up but his 4 wheel drive didn't work ?? so they made some calls and a few of his friends showed up with assorted lines, chains and a chain hoist that only worked one way? His buddy got his truck in next to the bank and with that truck they pulled the boat far enough up the bank to get so it wasn't taking on more water and they bailed it out, my wife was getting cold so we left to go to the hotel for the night. After breakfast on sunday morning, boat sunk saturday night, i walked back over there and it was pulled up on the bank about 100ft downriver from where it sunk, nobody was around so i guess all was well. I think i would of at least had the oil drained out to see if it ate any water. Hope they got it all fixed up and running, they seemed like nice folks.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I see that boat parked down below the bridge where you can walk to the end of the road to get to the river. There is not
    Much of a bank there at all. If that is the boat I'm thinking of. The queens ..... Maybe. I've been around them a few times and the can put up fairly good surf. I don't anything about air boats, I'm thinking he pulled up high on the bank , the water dropped, the wake sucked all the water out, it grounded, and the next wave came over the back ( maybe if indeed it was even a wake ) I really think it was something else
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Roger,
    he was parked up on the edge of the cutbank/channel, when they stepped in next to the boat they slid right down into the water. I'm stickin' with my theory that the water running under the boat was channeled to the bank and it just washed the bank out from under the boat making the upriver side dip and after that it was all over, blub,blub,blub,blub !!! I bet it went fast after that, boat leaning downhill, water running in makes her heavier and heavier on the wrong side(see blub, blub theory).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Got off the phone with him,I know how it sank now a few people said it above. But I do not want to stir the pot anymore then it is