Thread: steelhead fishing

Default steelhead fishing

anyone get out and fish for steelhead...? anchor river or kasliof? any luck? been busy duck hunting and working..

My friends down that way say VERY slow. I was thinking of going down this weekend but I'll probably go to the Kenai instead.

Fished Anchor and Deep Creek on Sunday. Went 10 for 14. Morning and evening were the most fish. I didn't go to my usual upriver spots either.

the anchor is pretty slow with tons of pressure but deep creek has a fair amount of fish in it.

what was the water conditons like? Did you fish deep creek? I like the anchor better than deep creek ive been fishing the anchor forever...shame that river has been flooded and kings are pretty much gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Skybustin28 View Post
    what was the water conditons like? Did you fish deep creek? I like the anchor better than deep creek ive been fishing the anchor forever...shame that river has been flooded and kings are pretty much gone...
    The anchor is pretty blown out im sure deep creek is too. The level started to drop but there is more rain forecasted. My cuz got a pretty decent bow on the kenai today so it must not be to bad up there. Thats where im going for the next few days.

Didn't drive to the upper today. It the middle kenai is blown out. Might be better Skilak to kiley.

Man I can;t wait to get up there. I hope the temps drop, nothing like floating fishng and busting ice to chase a steel. Spent all morning at work looking at reports and pics of KP steelies. Was supposed to go to Kenai to hit the bows and bears, but it might have to wait till I get my Steel fix. Gotta break in the new CP.

heading down to the anchor and deep creek next week on Wednesday, hoping the water will be in good shape.. plan on chasing steelie's then heading up to the upper Kenai with the raft for bows.. any updates appreciated...

tight lines!

You boys do know that the Kenai is running a ft over flood stage right now and climbing right?

yeah I am up in Prudhoe working till Sunday, I have been watching the stream data on NOAA, I seen kenai at coopers landing is nuts, just hoping the rain will lay off eventually so these streams can work on lowering.... I wanna raft the upper Kenai but if the water stays like it is I don't believe that will be on the plan trip... mainly hoping Deep Creek and Anchor are under control to fish for steelie's..

Ferry tickets already paid and I have a bad urge for a road trip, doing laps on the island has gotten old, so I'm going. But half my trip is hunting Black Bears. Hopefully the smaller streams will drop into shape.

any new reports for steelhead on the peninsula? seems late. are there winter steelies in southcentral?

Quote Originally Posted by jbfreyer View Post
    any new reports for steelhead on the peninsula? seems late. are there winter steelies in southcentral?
    Still metal in the creeks.

Ice is closing in fast. I fished the last 3 days at Deep Cr. saw some nice steelies however you can't keep your line in the water due to a constant flow of slush. Im talking 4 split shots and three seconds later the slush pulls your line out of the water. out of every 10 casts one will tick the bottom three or four times but most just sit on top of the slush. I did hook some less picky dollies on leeches and glow bugs but those steelhead are some smart M'er F'ers. Any updates on the Anchor?

Anchor is the same way. Alot of slush and ice keeping the fly from going where it needs to be but the fishing was very good before!

The weather doesn't look like it will be warming up before the end of season on Oct 31st, I think you can pretty much stick a fork in it. I spoke to a friend this morning down in Ninichik and it was in the single digits last night and the slush doesn't clear up anymore in the late afternoon. Best bet for fishing is going to be the Kenai or Kasilof. The weather really messed with the steelhead this year. If it wasn't high murk water it was dealing with ice.