Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Clearwater Silvers

Default Delta Clearwater Silvers

Was stoked last year to find out the fishing on the ClearWater was great fun in early Oct. for Silvers. Have been excitedly planning to do the same again this year but then got to thinking... With the miserable Silver returns in the rest of the state and having no idea where Delta Clearwater silvers come from is the fishing going to be good this year? Wife wants to do an Anchorage run for baby (due in March) gear but I had been telling her no because of the fishing trip so need help to avoid dog-house if the fish won't be in.

the fish come from the yukon

does fish game have silver return numbers like they do for kings and chums on the yukon? Sadley clear water still 3wks away

i dont know but on the plus side even if there is small numbers there is no need to beat the water until you actually see one... and if all else fails you can grab a drink at the lodge

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    i dont know but on the plus side even if there is small numbers there is no need to beat the water until you actually see one... and if all else fails you can grab a drink at the lodge
    well said..

We're kind of in the same boat. It's an expensive trip for us, from Anchorage, with two vehicles, camp trailer and boat, and with fishing as bad as it's been, we're wondering if the trip is worth the cost. Does anyone know how silvers on the Yukon have been? Wouldn't that give us a clue as to what to expect on the Clearwater? There weren't as many fish last year, as in the past, but it was still worth the trip. If there are less silvers than last year, I've got my doubts. Anyone know where we can check silver runs on the Yukon?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...ADFG=main.home

Choose the Yukon River at Pilot Station. They have a coho count and you can view historic counts to see if this year is on par, or not.

106,000 coho through Pilot Station this year compared to 123,000 last year. Slightly less, but probably not significant.

my buddy said they r in nenana alrdy nxt rest stop chena

any word yet?

i suspect its still 2 weeks or so early

as of tuesday they made it to chena and tanana so they should b 10 days out, but with warm weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    as of tuesday they made it to chena and tanana so they should b 10 days out, but with warm weather?
    Haha, I remember fishing for silvers out of DCW a couple years back and it was just a tad chilly!

they are diffently n fairbanks area .found 1 tonite. He was a lone ranger,

my buddy found them this past wknd

Im headed down on wed for a day trip so I will post how it was when I get back that night.

Came home last night after 9 days on the Clearwater. There are silvers, there. Last Sunday/Monday, it was mostly smaller fish, but the bigger ones are there, now, too. We had to work harder to find schools of fish, this year, compared to previous years, and when we found a school, it was smaller than previous years, but catching them is just as much fun as ever! Left yesterday morning when we woke up to 3" of new snow. We had a week of mid-50's but the winds were higher than normal in the afternoons. The Clearwater campground wasn't crowded at all during the week, and just a few more on the weekend. Biggest problem for us was the State pulled out the dumpster, mid-week, and there doesn't appear to be any place in Delta Junction to dump our camp trailer holding tanks. A definite limiter on our visit. Had the pleasure to take a gentleman from Amsterdam out fishing and some guys from Fairbanks. Fun time! Where we used to catch 200 a day, now it's more like 30. We're strictly catch and release on these, and hope their numbers come up. Still, would spend the money and go again, knowing what I know, now.

well adfg is shuting it down to catch and release only as of sat at 12am

Racnooc... thanks for the update.

FYI, Texaco in Delta has an RV dump station. They even let me fill my fresh water tank.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Rocnook pretty much nailed it, less fish than normal but they are in there. I caught more salmon size greyling than actual salmon but still a fun day trip. There is still a little snow on the ground but very little ice in the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast