Thread: Need a grouse/ptarmigan

Default Need a grouse/ptarmigan

Haven't had any luck finding birds anywhere around Fairbanks, I have a 5 mo old yellow lab and 3 mo old Brittany and I'm looking for a frozen spruce hen or ptarmigan to work with them. I'm willing to pay 50 for a bird since I'm having a hard time finding one on my own. Or if anyone has any tips on where I might take them next week for a walk it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

As fall progresses more grouse will be moving about. Have you tried any of the area logging roads early and late in the day? Road to Manley?

Feel free to PM me about anything more specific. Your dogs are pretty young so not to worry. You're doing some great bonding with the pups just being out together in places where they will spend their hunting lives. Enjoy!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the reply, I've tried along roads from CHR, bonanza creek, Tanana state forest across from Skinny dicks. I have not tried the logging roads on the way up to Manley. Ill send you a PM with some questions I have about local grouse habitat. I think I know what I'm looking for after reading your book but I have a couple questions that are a little more vague. Thanks again for the reply!

Couldn't figure out how to PM yet, how do I go about it?