Thread: Moose guts and vinyl gloves on the Knik River boat ramp

Default Moose guts and vinyl gloves on the Knik River boat ramp

Come on guys. Use some common sense and consideration. If you are going to put your moose guts in the river put them ALL the way into the current. Every year there is a pile of bones and guts on the ramp. The first thing a hunting dog does is start scarfing down rotting pieces of flesh.

I got back from duck hunting and my dogs started eating that garbage. No only were the guts there so were a bunch of vinyl gloves and cheesecloth game bags.

Put the scraps and bones in the current. Put your gloves and game bags in the trash.

The gloves should have good prints inside.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sad to read you too have inconsiderate hunters up there who use public accesses as a dump site. It only takes a few to spoil it for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by jake windemere View Post
    Come on guys. Use some common sense and consideration. If you are going to put your moose guts in the river put them ALL the way into the current. Every year there is a pile of bones and guts on the ramp. The first thing a hunting dog does is start scarfing down rotting pieces of flesh.

I got back from duck hunting and my dogs started eating that garbage. No only were the guts there so were a bunch of vinyl gloves and cheesecloth game bags.

Put the scraps and bones in the current. Put your gloves and game bags in the trash.
    I'm always saddened by the slob behavior exhibited in this great state. As hunters we should all set a positive example. Also, your dogs may be at risk for tapeworm and several other parasites that are transferrable to canines from infected moose meat. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...se.specieslist

Had the pleasure of hunting with 2 new folks this year. The four of us had a moose down. The new guys had never taken a big animal before.

After the work was done we ALL instinctively picked up the misc. bloody paper towels, soda cans and gloves.
    Has always been regular practice to police ourselves but was nice to see our unknown guys do the same.

Like to think most hunters do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Like to think most hunters do the same.
    Most hunters do, but the few that fail to do so make the rest of us look bad. For my part I often clean up someone else's mess because I'd rather be disgusted with an idiot than others be disgruntled with hunters in general.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by jake windemere View Post

Sounds more like the work of a road kill salvager. Why would a hunter drag the guts in from the woods only to dump them in the river? Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Sounds more like the work of a road kill salvager. Why would a hunter drag the guts in from the woods only to dump them in the river? Doesn't make sense.
    This happens at least once every year. Mostly its bones, hide, which get really rank, but sometimes its guts also. I always wondered why people would bring the stuff back to the launch to gut or skin a moose...

could be they shot one in the river and didn't know what to do till they get to the ramp. I hunted with a guy in Nenana that was that way. He kept saying we would get stuck if we tried to beach on a sand bar.... or might sink the boat if don't put all in one area. I no longer hunt with him.
    Now, me and my hunting partners moose bag has rolls of paper towels, rubber gloves, hand cleaner, and TRASH BAGS- as well as a few things (like an axe, extra rope, pulleys, snatch block, handsaw, knives, sharpening tools, and game bags, ect) to help handle the animal.
    even though we like to bring em back whole, we are prepared to quarter and haul meat to our vehicle of choice for that hunt. be it truck, atv, boat, or leather personell carriers.

I saw several hunters this year on Chena Hot Springs that looked like they had no idea where to start on their animal. Even had one group wave us down and ask if we had any knives they could use to gut their moose. They were hunting out of a mid-sized 4 door car. looked like they might have had room for the meat in the trunk.....maybe.

Guess you have to start somewhere. I started moose hunting acroos the river and would build a fire to get rid of paper products and even cook a few small pieces of meat while hauling my moose (on my back) to camp.

hope your pup is fine, but you might check extra carefull for evidence of worms. heart worm, or tape worms cysts can kill a dog I have been told.

Chris

I saw this pile at the ramp as well, unfortunately I don't think it was a gut pile. I kicked the top layer and it looked like hamburger meat. I did not see any intestines although I did see 1 small bone. Anyway, the blue gloves were there, but underneath the waste was a white garbage bag and a game bag as well. Fish and game got a call and when I returned later that day, everything was cleaned up.

and don't forget the shovel...This reminds me about a buddy who picked up a young pointer named Huck because his older female was slowing down. He took them out the first time and Huck was undisciplined and difficult to get focused. At the end of his hunt he loaded his older female and then turned to find Huck had disappeared again. He kept calling him and then Huck finally popped up out of the ditch with toilet paper hanging off his nose. My buddy had to drive the Jeep Wagon home with the windows down.

Up on the Denali Hwy two wildlife troopers were cleaning a caribou that was killed and left behind. Someone shot into the herd and hit two but only took one out of the field. Anyways, the troopers left black latex gloves behind. Wasn't a lot, only like 3 or 4 gloves, but just goes to show you no one is perfect out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Up on the Denali Hwy two wildlife troopers were cleaning a caribou that was killed and left behind. Someone shot into the herd and hit two but only took one out of the field. Anyways, the troopers left black latex gloves behind. Wasn't a lot, only like 3 or 4 gloves, but just goes to show you no one is perfect out there.
    If it was truely the troopers they need to be spanked. These guys get paid to do what they do, plus they are the "ELETE of the ELETE"..... They should be fined and made to come out an pick up after themselves.......

I have a love and hate relationship with this time of the year......yes I am a hunter. But as a property owner I deal with everything listed here plus more each hunting season........you guys are complaining about stuff left at public places, try dealing with it on your own property where you live......guess who gets to clean it up, not to mention the problems it causes my dogs. I look forward the end of hunting season every year!! Many hunters are pigs, leaving soda/beer cans, wiskey bottles, trash, shooting signs and killing everything from tweety birds and bigger. I stop by everyone I see, and confront the pigs (pun not intended with earlier portion of thread) when i know they are the culprit......So should all of you ethical hunters, its your reputations on the line, most of these idiots are new to the hunting thing but you'd be supprised how many are experienced hunters.