Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife's first black bear!

Talking My wife's first black bear!

With the decent weather forecast for the weekend, my wife and I decided to head south to make another attempt on her goat tag. Like the previous week, the goats we saw were either nannies with kids or, in the case of a lone billy, in a very inaccessible location where falling would have meant coming off the mountain in a helicopter. (We're not giving up on that one yet, but hoping that some snow might push him down in the weeks to come.) While glassing for goats, we saw three black bears up on top of the ridge within about 300 yards of each other. With reasonably nice weather and time to burn, we decided to climb and see if luck would shine on us.

Three hours later we were above where we thought the bears would be, so after a short break to refuel after a tiring climb, we started poking our heads around rocks to get a view into the chutes below us. Within a minute or two I spotted the back of a bear moving through the grass. We decided to move wide to the side in an attempt to descend to the same elevation rather than shooting from above. Moving one descending spine over, we soon noticed that another bear was in view. This one appeared smaller, though, so we declined to pursue him and descended as planned. That bear eventually spotted us at about 100 yards, but he just sat down and watched the scene unfold. Nearing where we thought we would look over the edge, suddenly I saw that same black hump directly below us, only this time at about 50 yards. Unbeknownst to us, the bear had changed directions and had fed directly towards us. We quickly hit the deck and shed our packs, getting ready for what was to come. Over the next two or three minutes the bear kept coming slowly, its head down as it feasted on berries. We kept getting partial views of its back and head, but there were a few rocks that hid its vitals enough to prevent a clean shot. Soon enough, though, the bear exposed the top 2/3 of its body at about 30 yards. My wife made a perfect shot and the bear quickly hunched up, clearly hit, and ran downhill. I sprinted down to where it was standing in case I needed to make a follow-up shot, but instead found the bear laying motionless another 50 yards downhill. I really couldn't be surprised, though, as this was my wife's 3rd big game animal - taken with a grand total of three shots. Her accuracy in the field puts mine to shame, and I couldn't be prouder!

The bear that watched the stalk ran away when my wife shot, but he obviously wasn't too scared, as he fed back into view 30 minutes later. He came back again an hour into the butchering process as well. I was tempted to make this a double, but after packing her bear off the mountain, I was pretty glad that we just took pictures.

My bride holding what is to become bacon. Love it!

Outstanding on a very nice bear for sure.Was the 7mm08 the gun used?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thats great stuff Brian and congrats to your wife!!! I really like that pic of her sitting with her bear and gear as the other goes over the top.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Outstanding on a very nice bear for sure.Was the 7mm08 the gun used?
    Yep, it was the 7mm-08, which she has now used to take a caribou, deer, and bear. Love that gun!

Great Job!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Thats great stuff Brian and congrats to your wife!!! I really like that pic of her sitting with her bear and gear as the other goes over the top.
    Thanks! It was pretty fun to watch him come back by twice while we were butchering. He'd better get more cautious, though, as if he's still in the area next weekend I might be tempted...

Default My wife's first black bear!

Brian, Awesome job on getting your wife her first bear!! Where are you taking the "bacon in the raw" to get processed?

We're thinking Indian Valley, as a friend recently shared some of his bear bacon from there and it's awesome - though we're certainly up for other suggestions.

Sweet, give my congrats to the lovely wife.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Nice! Great pics!

Is black bear good to eat? I would think it depends on what they had to eat like berries vs. fish. Bear bacon sounds good. Could they be cut up into steaks, roasts, etc. or do they need to be made into something else? I'll parade my ignorance for all to see about this subject, I don't mind if I can learn something.

MRS,Brian, mucho congrats. That sure is a beauty, well deserved after all the climbs you and hubby have made this year.

Great looking bear Brian, congrats to the wife. Good luck on getting her that goat and you guys be safe up there!

Congratulation to the lady, nice bear.

What an awe inspiring set of pics, and story,....Yea,

and Congratulations to Ms. Oakley,....(as in Annie,...the, "one shot=critter down," girl)

Looks like you guys did some serious climbing,...got an approx. elevation for us,...??

and how thick is the hide this time of year, starting to thicken up some, way up there?

I bet that's gonna be Tasty,...up there grazing in the rarified air
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congrat's to the both of you, Beautiful bear, Coat looks nice and full, Pretty good size noggin to??
    That's what my wife shoots also, it's a bad little round.

Great write up and pics Brian. Am sitting int the airport in Denver, headed back to AK and just read your story. That is one nice bear. Tell the better half congratulations.
    Jason

Very sweet for sure, made a plan, worked it and took a beautiful animal! Congrats to you both and thanks for sharing!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nicely done! Congrats to you two.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    Is black bear good to eat? I would think it depends on what they had to eat like berries vs. fish. Bear bacon sounds good. Could they be cut up into steaks, roasts, etc. or do they need to be made into something else? I'll parade my ignorance for all to see about this subject, I don't mind if I can learn something.
    Black Bear is delicious! granted you would want one that has been on the berries and try to avoid the ones on the salmon streams during the spawn season.. Bear can be made into all types of food, burger, chorizo, sausage, bacon, jerky, roasts, steaks so on so forth. when I took my 1st bear last year my daughter refused to eat beef for 2 months all she wanted was bear this and bear that.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast