Thread: ATV storage in the winter

Default ATV storage in the winter

I do not have a garage and I have never lived here in the winter. If I throw a tarp over it and pull the battery out will it be okay? Should I rent a heated garage?

You will be just fine. I suggest adding Stabil to your fuel and run your engine for 15-20 minutes to make sure it runs through your engine.

You can still run your ATV in the winter. I do on the lakes and around the house and even go on a few snow mobile trails on good days. Some snowmachiners get cranky about it, but if you ride like a normal human being, you will not damage those trails as much as a snow machiner that likes to spin out on take off causing a humpy trail. There is no law like alot of private snowmachine trails in the lower 48 that ban ATV's on trails where the Snowmobile Club has exclusive rights to the trails.

All we do is remove the battery or just disconnect the negative terminal and leave the battery in the quad. They will actually discharge less in cold weather. If you bring the battery inside hit it with the charger once or twice in the winter.

Stabilizer? I gave up using that stuff about 20 years ago. IMO it is just pouring money down the drain up here. Have stored boats, atv's, snow mobiles, RV's, etc. The boats, RV's, and atv's are usually stored from Sept till the first of May and I never had a fuel related issue with any of them, ever. Just fill the tank with fresh gas and be done with it.

Used some sort of red stabilizer about 20 years ago in a King Quad (the old blue one's) and it spit and sputtered when trying to start it in the spring. Sucked out all the old gas and cleaned the tank and it was full of a red looking, gritty type powder. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Stabilizer? I gave up using that stuff about 20 years ago. IMO it is just pouring money down the drain up here. Have stored boats, atv's, snow mobiles, RV's, etc. The boats, RV's, and atv's are usually stored from Sept till the first of May and I never had a fuel related issue with any of them, ever. Just fill the tank with fresh gas and be done with it.

Used some sort of red stabilizer about 20 years ago in a King Quad (the old blue one's) and it spit and sputtered when trying to start it in the spring. Sucked out all the old gas and cleaned the tank and it was full of a red looking, gritty type powder. Never again.

My experience is just the oposite. Stale gas, varnishing, gummed up carbs. If I don't stabilze, I would run them dry. I've been running stabil for 13 years and never had one problem. I do my boats, ATV's, RV, Lawn Equimment, scooters etc.... and I fill them full, add stabil and run for 15 minutes. Never had one spit, sputter, or sluggish motor. Forgot to do a lawnmower one year and cost me some money as I am not all that mechanically inclined.