Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo for Sheep hunts

Default Camo for Sheep hunts

What camo Pattern do you guys like and color for Sheep hunting?

I am going to up grade mine this winter and want some opinions! I love the digital Sitka patterns

Kryptek mountain mimick, and or MAX 1
    "f/64 and be there"

I'd agree that the Sitka camo pattern is pretty awesome, but overall for sheep hunting I don't worry too much about camo. I upgraded my outerwear this year and went with the olive color from KUIU - no camo, just a solid color. My wife mentioned that I disappeared into the rocks and tundra quite well. In the past I used some $5 cotton coveralls that were a faded realtree pattern - mostly gray and light green due to their age and abuse. As long as you stick to light grays and browns, I think you'll be fine. Far more important with sheep is simply staying out of sight as much as possible, then moving very, very slowly when you need to cross open terrain. I once slid on my belly across ~200 yards of open ground when stalking a sheep, and though I was in plain view the whole time, they never noticed me. Of course, it took me nearly two hours to cover that distance, which gives you an idea of how quickly I was moving. Patience matters far more than camo - but again, with light grays and browns, you can't go wrong. (Did I mention light colors? Most camo patters are WAY too dark and stick out like a sore thumb on the tundra.)

I agree with Brian- camo is just way overrated on mountain hunts. Stick to earth tones and move around as little as possible.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

For sheep camo, my favorite so far is Sitka. It is light overall color with just enough black to mimic the thousands of small shadows thrown by broken rock. The brand has various pluses and minus, but as a straight up mountain camo, I like it. Other light patterns would presumably work also.

Otherwise, lighter solid colors seem to work well. As mentioned, most of the "forest" type patterns are WAY too dark. I used to wear whatever color I happen to have, including blacks, but have become really impressed with sheep eyesight over the last few years. Now I try to blend in as much as possible to minimize blowing sheep out of the country when I am unintentionally exposed. Nothing works as well as staying out of sight, but sheep pop out of the oddest places, and the camo seems to help keep my profile to a minimum.

Of all the animals we hunt in Alaska, sheep are the ones that are most reliant on eyesight as a defense. I think that should be taken into account when possible.

Yk

Nice! That is the camo I am lean towards i have the rain gear from sitka in it for a few years and Love it! What tripod is that with you Swaro??

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum;
    What tripod is that with you Swaro??
    It's a Gitzo carbon fiber mini tripod. Solid unit for sure. Both the spotter and tripod were my dads (who is the guy in picture).

Yk

Ditto on dark colors being bad for concealed movement. Think black bear on a hillside, you can pick out a feeding moving bear from a long ways away with human vision.

I've seen Sitka camo work in exposed stalk situations for sheep before with excellent results. My partner and I were rocking Sitka Stormfront tops and green H/H bottoms for his ram hunt this year. We even were able to move into posistion on a group of eight rams which had four legals in it. Talk about alot of eyes overlooking some camo. My daughter used Kuiu stuff this year but just a jacket. Other than that it was solid colors from various other hiking gear makers.

Camo can be helpful. Nothing replaces patience, hardwork, and smart approach tactics for rams.

The "outfitter camo" from Cabela's seems to work for me.

Another vote for outfitter camo. I like the microtex. Bullet proof stuff. Sitka's stuff has fallen apart on me too many times, still wearing 8, 9, & 10 year old microtex. That being said camo is way over rated for killing things. Good synthetic breathable materials are way more important. If microtex came in plain colors I would rather have that

Forgot about Outfitter. I've used Microtex with good success for sheep hunting, and still use it for moose. I moved away from it only because the cheap REI softshell pants (in solid grey) seem to dry faster when they get wet. Wouldn't really hesitate to go back though, as it worked quite fine for me.

I have however had way too many Cabelas brand items fall apart on me to really want to buy too much more of it. The Microtex has thus far been the exception.

Yk

Yup, my stuff is Microtex. No real bad luck with other cabela's stuff other than a pack that was a little on the heavy side. Much happier with my Barney's pack.

I had a ram looking directly at me in my Kuiu Vias Camo, and he had no idea I was there. Not sure if it was because I was being still, or he just skimmed over me and I looked like part of the rocks. I saw Kuiu has a new pattern coming out that looks like it blends very well with the tundra. The only type of game where I have noticed camo is very important is waterfowl.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I had a ram looking directly at me in my Kuiu Vias Camo, and he had no idea I was there. Not sure if it was because I was being still, or he just skimmed over me and I looked like part of the rocks. I saw Kuiu has a new pattern coming out that looks like it blends very well with the tundra. The only type of game where I have noticed camo is very important is waterfowl.

And turkeys!

I have only hunted turkeys once....got the best sleep of my life sitting next to a tree waiting for that stupid bird to come by. So I can't attest to camo for turkeys, but they are birds and have better eyes than we do, so I can see it being important there as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Buddy and I had a similar experience. I was in Vias he was in Cabela's Outfitter camo, both worked. But our packs were laying right there and were solid colors so not sure camo really made the difference. Its earthy tones and lighter tones that seem to help folks blend. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ... Patience matters far more than camo
    Quote that.

never was one to worry about camo especially for sheep hunting.. I worry more about quality clothing that will withstand the elements and generally speaking the clothes I like dont come in camo..

what Brian said is priceless info... Patience and go slow...sheep have the best eyes in the buisness

I have used Cabelas Outfitter camo pattern in the microtex fabric. Very nice stuff, quick to dry, silent, will cut some wind and reasonably priced.
    I've used it up in AK for mountain hunts with good results. However great rain gear is a must as you can get pretty miserable and even be in a life threatening situation. Sitka, KUIU, et. al. are very nice but they better be for the price you pay.

Mothwing Mountain Mimicry, Cabelas Outfitter, Kuiu Vias. Of these the Mountain Mimicry is my favorite and disappears in nearly any environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast