Thread: upper chena

Default upper chena

Just curious if anyone's fished the upper chena lately and how its been. How it the river the farther up you get? I've only fished up to about mile 35. Is it pretty wadable farther up?

Thanks dave

You're missing the good stuff, Dave. The further up you go, the more wadable it gets and frankly the better the fishing gets. I'm 130 lbs. and female and I've been able to cover a lot of river on foot. The river's a little higher than it's been much of the summer but it's not at all bad and the fishing is still very good. I generally fish above the third bridge (mile 44) and have my best outings above Angel Creek.

I've been seeing bear tracks surprisingly close to the road in the 40s, so it might not be a bad idea to carry bear spray or a firearm.

Great Thanks for the info. I agree with the bears saw a buncha couple weeks back. Maybe I'll see ya out there sometime I drive a white chevy

The river's a little higher than it's been much of the summer but it's not at all bad and the fishing is still very good. I generally fish above the third bridge (mile 44) and have my best outings above Angel Creek.

Hi mlshore. So I thought the grayling would be about gone from that far up. What would be your guess as to how late you can catch a few this year? And are/will they hit dry flies?

Thanks, Ed

I've caught grayling up the East (middle) Fork through the late moose season, around August 20, on dries. Blue dunns to be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I've caught grayling up the East (middle) Fork through the late moose season, around August 20, on dries. Blue dunns to be specific.
    Ahhh the mighty blue dunn

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    Hi mlshore. So I thought the grayling would be about gone from that far up. What would be your guess as to how late you can catch a few this year? And are/will they hit dry flies?

Thanks, Ed
    They're still up there but it's a lot like spring fishing. If they're not there move to the next hole, and fling flies at anything that looks "fishy" even if you've never caught anything there before. I've caught fish pretty far upstream up until the end of September in the past. Towards the end of the month it got sketchy but streamers started working when nothing else would. I like fishing wet flies and I find that in the fall it's hard to beat a Royal Coachman on the swing. I'm going up for a few hours today and I'm curious to see what it's like. It got down to 23 last night at my house in Two Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Should have said September, not August. Geez darn Mondays!

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I'm going up for a few hours today and I'm curious to see what it's like. It got down to 23 last night at my house in Two Rivers.
    Well, I fished up in the 50s (I dropped visiting family off at Chena Hot Springs - there's only so many times you can go in the ice museum) for two hours this morning. There are definitely still fish up there. I fish the Chena most days from late April to early October and this was unquestionably one of the best days of fishing I've had this year - nearly killed me to pack it in but I don't get to see family that often. The fly-of-the-day was a beadhead soft hackle. I did catch a few on a size 12 Adams but it definitely wasn't as productive.