Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelchina bou hunt w/ pics

Default Nelchina bou hunt w/ pics

My hunting partner and I spent 8 great days in unit 13 looking for caribou and exploring new areas. We didn't see all that many caribou, but managed to take two bulls.

My partner shot his bull at 175 yards and dropped it in it's tracks. I could only get to within 310 yards of my bull. The bull and his cows were bedded down and offered no shot. After settling in and getting my rifle steadied on a dry bag and coat, I made some noise in an attempt to get the caribou to stand up offering a shot. They finally stood up, but I think the wind switched about that time and his cows got spooky taking the bull out past 400 yards before he offered a shot. There was the "thwack" at the shot, nonetheless, he followed his cows over the hill and out of sight. Hmmm. After topping the hill, I could see the cows skylined on the next hill, but the bull was not to be seen. That was a good sign. The bull was leaving a very good blood trail in the snow. It turns out he doubled back and I finished him off at 189 yards. It turns out the first shot was low, taking out the bottom 3 inches of lungs and ribs. Even so, the the bull traveled a good 1/2 mile or more. My partner and I were very surprised to see an animal travel that far with a lung shot. I was shooting a 300 WSM with 180 gr Barnes TSX.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics of the hunt.

Last of the pics.

Nice report!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Great hunt! That's a funny looking pack mule how much weight can he haul?

Nice and Congrats

Those are some Excellent Pics, describing a hunt in detail, with a just few Visuals,....

Nice write-up, also,.....Congrats, looks like you guys had a great time, and some Fine Animals taken home

Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks. On day hikes, my "Labramule" often packs my food, water, gps, spotter and tripod, etc. I suppose the pack weighs 10+ lbs when loaded. It's handy to reach down and get often used items out of her pack w/o taking my pack off. Her reward is boiled meat scraps not fit for grinding .

out past 400yds, before you could get a shot... Is it just the sheep that people whine at shooting past 300yrds? Glad you got your meat.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Nice Bulls! Congrats. Love your hunting partner and his/her pack!

Nice job, thanks for the pics too.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jpost again."

Great write-up as usual! Viva la Labrador!
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats, your pics and write up got me wishing it was next year when I will be up in Alaska hunting bou

"Labramule" That's Hilarious, Nice job sticking with it, Congrat's on two great looking bulls.

Nice 'bou, congrats!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    "Labramule" That's Hilarious, Nice job sticking with it, Congrat's on two great looking bulls.
    Yes! Love that quote! I'm looking for one of those myself right now...

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

Good job and nice caribou you got there! Love the pics with your lab, he always looks very content being out there with you.

JPOST how did you get yours to work for scraps? Mine expects tenderloins, backstraps or good burger at a minimum.

Thanks fellas.

Abel - good one. The pooch does require a soft bed at night or the pouting begins....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast