Thread: What is your preferred woodstove for a remote cabin?

Default What is your preferred woodstove for a remote cabin?

I'm looking at getting a woodstove for a planned cabin which will be about 20x24 in size. What are your thoughts on type, brand, or model for a remote cabin that I will use all year long but not continually. The cabin will be located in the interior, stick frame, with open ceiling and loft.

Our cabin neighbors have a similar sized cabin with a Blaze King Princess that they really like. Talkeetna area, so not as cold as more interior locations.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Our cabin neighbors have a similar sized cabin with a Blaze King Princess that they really like. Talkeetna area, so not as cold as more interior locations.

YEP agree. After seeing several cabins with less expensive stoves and then seeing the Blaze King....... the only way to go. You pay a little more but worth every penny.

Jotul, Vermont Castings, Waterford, etc. Efficient AND pretty. For occasional use cabins there's a unique demand on your wood stove. You'll want it to heat your space quickly and once heated, to maintain that heat evenly and efficiently. That's a hard balance to find.

There are about a bajillion models of stove out there; get one rated for your sq. footage, "efficient", and that you can stand to look at day after day. Far more important is how you set up your chimney, and the moisture content of the fuel.
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by woodchopper View Post
    I'm looking at getting a woodstove for a planned cabin which will be about 20x24 in size. What are your thoughts on type, brand, or model for a remote cabin that I will use all year long but not continually. The cabin will be located in the interior, stick frame, with open ceiling and loft.
    Woodchopper,

My Jotul 602 keeps a 20x30 cabin with half loft warm in fall. But to heat the cabin when its cold-soaked at sub-zero temperatures, I think would take all day.

So, Iím going to install an additional stove: a steel drum stove with a Vogelzang kit to supplement my pretty, efficient, but small Jotul. The kit is about $45 dollars from Northern Tools, and a new 55 gallon steel drum can be found for around $100.

That way Iíll have a four-season setup. I could fire both stoves to go from -10 to 60 in a short while, then run just the Jotul to keep the cabin warm and be able to see the fire.

By the way, its my third Jotul: I think they make a great product. Jotul also makes a practical stove that is much like my 602, but twice as big called the Big Bear.

Thumbs up

Anybody remember these stoves? Do they still make them? An Ashley top-loading wood stove:

Attachment 63345

We heated our home in Michigan's upper peninsula with one of these for years . . the house was about 1000 square feet, story-and-a-half, and the stove was our sole source of heat.

Highly recommended . .

Another vote for Blaze king brand, especially the princess for your application.
    BK