Thread: Toy hauler, inside our outside?

Default Toy hauler, inside our outside?

Wife and I have been talking about moving away from the boat that we barely use and getting into a toy hauler next summer. A toy hauler looks to be the way to go for us but I am conflicted between the inside storage models and the ones with an exterior deck. I would appreciate any insight from folks that own and use them on the benefits/drawbacks of each type.

I had one with inside storage. I liked it because whatever you were carrying was out of the elements and not in plain sight while traveling. it also was like an extra garage. Depending on the one you would end up with, you may have to take the 4 wheelers out to be able to use the camper, which is more of a hassle. Most of the inside storage units seem to be bigger and heavier as well so that might make a difference on what you need to tow it with.

Good points! I have an F250 powerstroke so most all bumper pull trailers should be good to go.

Options seem to be.
    Exterior exposed deck
    Interior storage inside living space
    Interior "garage"

I like the garage concept but would like to be able to put two utility ATVs in it with room to move to either a pair big boss 6x6 or a 6x6 ranger.

I have one with the inside storage. I like having everything inside. My friend had one with an outside deck. Both if ours were total 29 feet but i had more living space because his outside deck took up a lot of space. He sold it after a year and bought one with the inside garage separate of the living area. It was a lot better. It kept any mud or leaks out of the kitchen or bedroom. They also run a lot more money. I can fit my sportsman 550 and 400 in mine without much hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I have 28' Bumper pull Toy Hauler and love it.
    Outside storage is OK I guess, but I like the ability to use all the space as living.
    Mine can hold 2, maybe 3 if they are smaller bikes. Bikes do have to be out to live in it. I haul 3; 2 in the trailer )Griz 550 and 450) and 1 (Kodiak 400) in the truck.
    If I decide to change/upgrade I would go with a 34-36' Fifth wheel. At that size I am only actually adding a couple of feet with whats in the bed so its not waaaaay to long to get in to tighter areas. Having the separate garage means I don't have to immediately unload on arrival and load up last on departure. (Though its not that big of a deal -- I've been doing it for years) That garage space can have beds that roll up or you could put cots in there for extra space. This makes camping on hunting and fishing trips with 5-6 adults not as tight.

I have a 16x8.5 with 5200 lb axles being built for moving my stuff from MD to ID. I'm thinking of using it for my wife and I once we get moved out there to haul two 4 wheelers and some other stuff, maybe 2 Suzuki DRZ's instead. My first thought is put in some fold down plywood beds or use cots inside to sleep on and add propane for cooking and heat but nothing fancy. SLide on awning on the side provides a VERY basic camper/hauler. It has two vents but needs windows for venting and to see what's out side. Not looking for anything fancy, just something I can keep loaded and ready to go when we want to take off somewhere. My wife is OK with the idea but wants to know how others like their "basic" toy hauler.

Has anyone done anything like this? How do you like it and does it work for you? Pictures?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

2011 Keystone Raptor (2012 Chevrolet 3500 diesel), has 18k gross and three axles...needs a one ton diesel to pull it. I love the 14' garage (indoor storage) for my washer/dryer, chest freezer and ATV. Rubber floor with tie downs. Can butcher your kill then mop up the mess. With the garage door down I use the full screen door for a nice breeze. Two queen sized bunks power up and down inside the garage but I have to pull out the ATV for that, the lowest converts to an additional dining room booth/table. Master bedroom with a 3rd queen bed and a 4th above the garage (acessed through living space).

I let you know next summer how many places I can visit...that size may be limiting.

Wow!! That is certainly impressive!!

Got my trailer yesterday and have it painted inside and it looks like it will handle 2 500's side by side and still have room for a little sleeping and staying warm and dry. Looks like I can put in two doors to keep the smell back with the wheelers and not have it in the front....very basic but warm and dry for 2 or maybe 4 with the 4 wheelers outside. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Wow!! That is certainly impressive!!

Got my trailer yesterday and have it painted inside and it looks like it will handle 2 500's side by side and still have room for a little sleeping and staying warm and dry. Looks like I can put in two doors to keep the smell back with the wheelers and not have it in the front....very basic but warm and dry for 2 or maybe 4 with the 4 wheelers outside. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I'd set up the back with cots to erect while the wheelers were out. I can think of very few instances where the wheeler needs to be in at night.

That's the conclusion I came to also. I think the front will be sitting/eating/cooking area and the back half with a fold down bunk on each side. We're putting LED lights in now with that idea in mind and loading for a trip out West so I can be back in time for gun season.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 24' toy hauler with toy storage inside the living area. We are pretty stoked! Thanks for all of the different opinions everyone offered, they definitely helped us make out decision.

I have often wondered, as I see heavy four-wheelers loaded in the rear of toy haulers, how much concern you might have with weight and balance issues. Is the tongue weight of an empty toy hauler so great that adding weight to the rear does not create balance problems? I am just guessing that there is a significant difference in towing an unloaded vs rear-loaded trailer, or has all that been thought out with regard to placement of the trailer axles? Just idle curiosity here...

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I have often wondered, as I see heavy four-wheelers loaded in the rear of toy haulers, how much concern you might have with weight and balance issues. Is the tongue weight of an empty toy hauler so great that adding weight to the rear does not create balance problems? I am just guessing that there is a significant difference in towing an unloaded vs rear-loaded trailer, or has all that been thought out with regard to placement of the trailer axles? Just idle curiosity here...
    No weigh balance issues. I notice no difference in towing my trailer unloaded vs rear-loaded (2x ATV's/probably about 1000lbs total), so my guess is they got it all figured out with axle placement.

I will hopefully bring mine home from anchor-town later this week and am looking forward to sorting out the weight and balance on it. I suspect that a weight distributing hitch will be in order though I know nothing about them.