Thread: Todays Hunt with PG13

Default Todays Hunt with PG13

Last Wednesday I had the pleasure of meeting PG13 out on the hayflats. We got to talking and decided that I really wanted to go after some ptarmigan, and he really wanted to get some ducks. Since he knows where to get the ptarmigan, and I have a pretty good idea on where to find ducks we figured we would help each other out.

We met up at waaaayyyy too early this morning at the parking lot, geared up and started walking in. After what seemed like an eternity we finally made it out to the pond where I had stashed some decoys earlier this week. Unfortunately it took us less time than I figured it would to get out there, so we opted to hang out by the ATV trail for about an hour before moving in to set up.

As the marsh started waking up we were both getting real excited. We heard teal everywhere talking back and forth, and a mallard here and there. Every once in a while a widgeon would whistle, and a crane would start calling. The usually morning sounds on the hayflats in the morning, but it always gets me excited. When the time hit we moved into the pond and jumped a few ducks in the puddles around it, but they would be back.

As we started putting decoys out, the morning flight started, flocks of 15 to 30 birds jetting through the marsh right over our heads, and dumping right into the decoys we had just put out. I had one flock of about 20 or so widgeon fly about 15 yards right in front of me and as they turned the sun hit them just right to light them up. It's an image I will charish for ever. As we finished getting the decoys out and the mojo set up, we were both expecting a lot of birds to come in. We got back into the blind, and I pulled out my phone to check the time...14 minutes to go. Waiting on shooting time is the most painful excrutiating wait ever. Birds flying around and there is nothing you can do about it but sit back and enjoy it. As the time dwindled down and down, finally shooting hours had come.

I don't know why, but it was like somebody flicked a switch and the birds stopped flying. We waited and waited and waited for about 15 minutes, then finally a pair of mallards came in, then some teal, then some more and more and more!

It seemed like everytime we were out retrieving birds they would all start coming in. Especially as I was trying for about 20 minutes to find a downed pintail that I knew was very much alive. I found the bird, but PG13 got to shoot at numerous birds as I was out there stomping around the grass in hot pursuit. I also ended up getting a Blue Wing Teal, as did PG13! We kept having cranes fly over but just outside of shooting range. Finally PG13 says, "Cranes! Coming right at us!". We both duck down, and hold our breath. They are coming closer and closer, and closer, then PG13 stands up and fires at the lead bird. I shot at the trailing bird. The first shot rocked him, missed with my second shot and hit him again with the third! He did the spiral down and landed in the weeds...still alive. We got over there as fast as we could and started looking. All the sudden to my right I see him move his wings and his head pops up. I fired my shotgun at his head and that was all she wrote. When I got up to him his head was pretty mangled, but he was done. Finally I got my first crane!!!

We ended up with 2 limits and 1 crane. I got 3 pintails, 2 GWT, 1 BWT, 1 Spoonie, a Mallard and a Crane. PG 13 got 3 GWT, 1 Gadwall, 1 Widgeon, 1 Spoonie, and 2 Pintails. We had a great day, and I am really looking forward to chasing around some Ptarmigan with him in the future.

IMG_0138.jpgIMG_0128.jpg
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Actually, I mistyped. PG13 had 2 GWT and 1 BWT. We both got one today

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

duck slayer, that must be some hole you guys got out there, remember hearing about it last year also, if i wasn't so old and falling apart i would hit you up for a trip out to it. Bud
    Wasilla

Maybe we can get something going next year when they get that bridge fixed. I can probably get you out there on my quad.

i do have a atv
    Wasilla

Great job!..nice blue wing..only seen a few over the years...seems more are around these days.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That's awesome DS. PG is one helluva hunting buddy. The ptarmigan hunting is heating up and PG knows some great spots, make sure to take him up on that offer to show you into the mountains, you won't be disappointed. Great write up and pics thanks for posting this up.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Way to go DS and PG!!!

Looks like a good day. Unfortunatly I couldnt get out this weekend. But what loads did you hit the crane with?

Blue Box Federal #2 Steel

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Blue Box Federal #2 Steel
    Yeaaahhh buddy! Those used to be my favorite load when they came in the old-school silver boxes. Those + a remington 1100 mag and the ducks were in trouble!

I have been shooting them since I was 14, back then I used my 870 wingmaster. I always wanted an 1100, actually I would still like to get one for some skeet shooting, they are a great gun.

It was certainly a successful day. We limited on ducks (including some that aren't too common), brought down a crane (I guess the #3s with no choke couldn't do the job for me), found someone competent and ethical to stand beside, and completely broke my body down. I was happy Wednesday shooting my first Alaskan duck (similar to Canadian goose?) so to lug 8 back to the truck was a labor of love.

Thanks for the write up, seems like they always end so soon when there are so many good things to remember. I abandoned tailwind for the morning and he made me pay by dropping the hammer on some ptarmigan. Hopefully he left a few tied to the rocks otherwise I won't have a clue where to find them! Rule #1 of trading hunting spots, always go to theirs first, lol.

Best of luck in the marshes folks, there are certainly feathers to be had for those willing to put in the effort. I stayed home this morning, couldn't recover in time. If you get out early enough you might catch the northern lights like we did. This is certainly neat country and walking in by moonlight to shoot ducks with the glow sillhoutting the mountains is a fine way to spend a waaaayyyyyyyy too early morning.

Closing question, have any of you had a muskrat dine on a dead duck before? I had my birds laying in the reeds and muskrat activity all around but never thought one might be eating one of my birds from the backside in. A few bites to the breast but primarily focused on the intestines and company.
    Go Big Red!

Seemed like he was interested in chewing on you for a second too. But I have seen beavers eat salmon on stringers before, I wouldn't put it past a muskrat to chew on a duck. They always seem to like to chew on my decoys anyway. One morning I put my swan decoys out, and about an hour later I look over at it, and see a muskrat sitting on it. No wonder why the birds were flaring!

Yes they will eat ducks,decoys, line to the decoys and your occasional floating shotshell..

I sent my dog on one that was having his way with some goose floaters a few years ago..last decoy that rat chewed
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.