Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peninsula blackies

Default peninsula blackies

Are the bears on the berries yet down on the Kenai peninsula? Im getting itchy to go chase some bears along the highway! Any input would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks

Yes......a few weeks back my daughter and her boyfriend went for a walk by the house here and spooked a blackie that was on some berries on the creek bed.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It seems to me that the first week of September is generally when the berries hit their peak on the KP. Now I'm not sure that this year is going to be a good berry crop or not. If it is a decent to good berry crop then the black bears should be up high this time of year on the open hillsides. Look for red and white tundra with alders or hemlock close by. That's the recipe for a black bear feeding area.

Were at in PA are you from?

Its been another crappy berry year from what i've seen so far, some great high bush cranberries in a few spots but I haven't seen more than about 3 blueberries this year, only a few decent patches of crow berries too.

Huntak59, im from coudersport, it is located in potter county. Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and make it down there sometime this week. Ill let u all know what i find.

I'm from Meadville Pa, go Steelers! And as far as berries go, I found some pretty good blueberry patches in hope way up high.

I was down on the Penn this weekend looking for a black and the only one I saw was still at tree level. I went up high and glassed and never saw one come up to the berries. And it was a bad berry crop.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

My wife took a black bear yesterday at the very top of an alpine ridge (story and pics to come later). There were three adult bears on that ridge within ~300 yards of each other, we spotted another one on the next ridge, and the anus of her bear was bright purple from all the berries it has been digesting. The blueberries are somewhat sparse, but there are plenty of crowberries up there along with some other varieties. Go get 'em - there are bears up high.

Thanks Brian. Thats what i needed to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I'm from Meadville Pa, go Steelers! And as far as berries go, I found some pretty good blueberry patches in hope way up high.
    Just north of Pitt right?...grand parents are from SE. Ligonier PA. Good country out there with great game! deer fell off but bigger bucks. i have opinions on that subject haha

I'm from Meadville Pa, go Steelers! .

that right there explains a lot.....

go Eagles!!!!

go get you a caribou already..
    be safe and have a great hunt..

to the OP yes if you can find the berries you will find the berries...wathc the edges of the thick stuff..

Yep I agree. Deer population is not looking so great in my neck of the woods either. Our bear population exploded though. Last time I was back there I managed to find a nice tastey 4 pt, and a fat sow black bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    that right there explains a lot.....

go Eagles!!!!

go get you a caribou already..
    be safe and have a great hunt..

to the OP yes if you can find the berries you will find the berries...wathc the edges of the thick stuff..
    The wife and work won't let me leave till Thursday. I've repacked my bag 3 times and I'm scheduled to do it again in about... 3 minutes. Haha

Well guys, I appreciate all of your input and tips. I have been researching and reading this forum for 2 years. Today, after 4 blown stalks I was able to harvest my first Alaska big game animal. It is a small black bear, but I Jobbed my tail off for him. im incredibly proud of my bear and very grateful for all of the intel that is on this site. Thanks everyone!!!!!

Congrats..no story? Pics?

WE still live for these on here..

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    Well guys, I appreciate all of your input and tips. I have been researching and reading this forum for 2 years. Today, after 4 blown stalks I was able to harvest my first Alaska big game animal. It is a small black bear, but I Jobbed my tail off for him. im incredibly proud of my bear and very grateful for all of the intel that is on this site. Thanks everyone!!!!!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Pictures, man...pictures!

Congratulations on your first Alaskan animal - that's really exciting to hear!

Agreed! Where the pics?! Congrats to you and don't give up on the rest of the season! Go get a moose or caribou now. Last years I more or less quit after the bear my buddy helped me get and I've regretted it all year! And uh if you want me to go get revenge on those bears you stalked send me a pm with their location!

Go get a moose or caribou now.
    Heck, with the limit on black bears being three, go get another two bears! Now that we've got the bacon and bacon burger from my wife's bear, I'm itching to go get another. We could use more bacon, and that pastrami I sampled at Indian Valley has me wanting some bear hams for that as well.

Thanks everyone! I dont think i have enough posts to attach a picture or send pm's. I started cruising the road and glassing at first light, didn't even see a bear till 10:30. He was up around 3000 feet. He wasn't moving much, so I figured he found himself a good berry patch and hoped he would stick around a while longer. The wind was perfect and I planned to stay in the tree line till I got on the other side of the ridge line, and use that ridge to cover me till i got to his elevation, then swing around the ridge to hopefully find him. Well 2 and a half hours later I start swinging around that ridge and there he is, he didn't move 100 feet. I hit the deck, made my way out of sight, and ditched my gear. Luckily he was a hungry little guy and kept his head down while I crawled to find a good place to shoot. I never pulled out the range finder. I guessed he was around 150 yards. I must have guess right. I waited for him to turn broadside, took some deep breaths and squeezed one off. The 280 rem.did its job and the bear started rolling!!!! He was not big once I got to him. But I could not have been happier. Now its my hunting buddies turn, I hope I have another story for you guys soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast