Thread: Nice point

Default Nice point

My setter, Paxson, pointing a group of ptarmigan.

Paxpoint.jpg
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Cool! Glad Paxson is coming along.

Excellent...!!!

I know this is kind of a bad word to some pointing dog owners, but I wish I would have had a picture of my chesapeake when she started pointing pheasants. I was ecstatic! It's not that I actually trained her to point, but it was the general way I trained her......basically stay/stop for anything she associates with "good". Normally she just busted the brush, but one morning we came back to some fields that had been harvested the night before. We started walking down the checks and all of a sudden she just pointed. Luckily I was right next to her and was able to talk to her....good girl....stay....good girl, etc... She held point, and we walked up, the bird flushed, and she stayed put. It was a hen, but she repeated this I do believe 3-4 more times and a couple were roosters. It was one of the most exciting days I ever had hunting with her.......and there were many.
    Thanks for the memory....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!