Thread: Willow Creek Silvers

Default Willow Creek Silvers

I was reading the reports on AOJ and noticed someone talking about catching silvers at Willow. I thought the whole Knik Arm area was closed to silver fishing. When I looked at the regs again, I see Willow is in the Susitna area and not the Knik Arm area so now I'm confused. Is Willow still open to catching silvers or not? Thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    I was reading the reports on AOJ and noticed someone talking about catching silvers at Willow. I thought the whole Knik Arm area was closed to silver fishing. When I looked at the regs again, I see Willow is in the Susitna area and not the Knik Arm area so now I'm confused. Is Willow still open to catching silvers or not? Thanks for the info...
    Yes Willow creek is open to Coho's. Although it is closed to bait as of Sept 1. Susitna Drainage and Knik Arm Drainage are two different area's. Silvers can only be fished from the Parks hwy bridge down stream. The fish are in spawn mode so why even bother with them. Doubt if you would find any chromer's this time of year. If it were me and it will be soon, I would target rainbows and dollies but to each his/her own.

there are fresh ones coming in the river, but they are far and few between.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Jim View Post
    Yes Willow creek is open to Coho's. Although it is closed to bait as of Sept 1. Susitna Drainage and Knik Arm Drainage are two different area's. Silvers can only be fished from the Parks hwy bridge down stream. The fish are in spawn mode so why even bother with them. Doubt if you would find any chromer's this time of year. If it were me and it will be soon, I would target rainbows and dollies but to each his/her own.
    Good report, but I wanted to post a small correction. The area open to retention of salmon other than kings is actually downstream of Deception Creek. The Parks Hwy boundary applies to King salmon.

didn't see any thing in the river from the bridge down yesterday or at the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Good report, but I wanted to post a small correction. The area open to retention of salmon other than kings is actually downstream of Deception Creek. The Parks Hwy boundary applies to King salmon.
    Stand corrected.