Thread: Info on Thunder Jets?

Default Info on Thunder Jets?

My freind is thinking of buying a thunder jet and I know nothing about river boats any help? He is mostly going to use it in the river, but plans on going in the salt a liitle bit, how do they go in the salt? thanks
    Boatless

We bought ours with the mindset that we would be using it on the rivers alot. Now that we have experienced the salt we spend half our time out there. I have only been out 1 time that I shouldn't have (6 footers) but we managed to get back to safe water without incident. For the most part we haven't had any problems but 3' close chop gets to be slow going.

Default Ditto

I use my North River in the salt quite a bit as well. It does fine but does ride pretty rough if it gets bumpy. 4-5 ft seas and it is very unpleasant to unsafe if don't have a ton of boating experience. Also get a stomp grate so you can clear the jet intake of flotsam. I have not had to do this in choppy seas but since I only have a rake I really can't imagine it being to fun. I will have a stomp grate on mine by July for sure.

Expensive HEAVY boats

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Expensive HEAVY boats
    I have never actually weighed mine but the certificate of origin states the weight at 1800lbs. I wouldn't consider that heavy although I know the larger models weigh twice that. The bigger any boat is the more it will weigh.

Coach curt if your thinking of a stomp grate got to weild air and the Palmer Wasilla Hwy Gary is putting a kodiak stomp grate on my Wooldridge for $550 total.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Coach curt if your thinking of a stomp grate got to weild air and the Palmer Wasilla Hwy Gary is putting a kodiak stomp grate on my Wooldridge for $550 total.
    I'm confused, Weld Air is on KGB and Gary owns Greatland Welding & Machine on the PWH. These are 2 seperate places.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default jetboat in the salt

i run my 21foot northriver out of whittier pretty often as well. can be very uncomfortable in a chop since these boats are designed to run on top of the water. i upgraded to suspension seats and i would recommend trim tabs as well so that you can adjust the attitude of the boat. more nose down into the chop will keep you from slapping mid hull. if you plan on running both rivers and the salt theres no better choice than an inboard jet IMO. downside is you wont be able to run real skinny water in the rivers and the price of fuel will make a saltwater excusion very expensive. 1800 pounds for an inboard jet is very light, my 21 footer is at 2850 before i add fuel and gear.

We love our T.J.! Used it out in Bristol Bay in the rivers, lake and Nushigak Bay and just moved to the Valley so I haven't had a chance to get out yet. I was able to run around in a Thunder Jet for a couple of years for work before I bought one. I stayed with the 19 footer simply to get in and out of the sloughs easier. I would go bigger if I was going to be in the saltwater often. I also ran around in a North River in Bristol Bay. The North River was nice but had a flatter bottom and pounded quite a bit on the choppy lake. Both boats are nice but you'll pay for either. I ordered my T.J. with a steeper deadrise and it rides nice in the chop. Our work boat had a 4.3 liter V6 and was fast and light with a couple of adults and modest gear load. I bought the V8 and hauled around three hunters, a full gear load, and a moose. No problems! A stomp grate is a must and Thunder Jet will install one if ordering new. If buying used, they are not too difficult to install in just a couple of hours. As far as the weight, most of the commercial built inboard jetboats are fairly heavy and they get heavier as you install a bigger motor, a hard top, and all the comforts. Keep it simple to keep it light!