Thread: Support Your Local Fly Shop

Default Support Your Local Fly Shop

This is not so much a post asking questions as it is to spread the word about great customer service. I have a Lamson Guru 3.5 reel on my switch rod that the drag all the sudden went away. I'm talking I went fishing the reel worked great, a week later on my next trip nothing. i went to Mossy's Fly Shop today and told Mike I needed a new reel for my switch rod. After several questions from Mike I was wondering what he was getting at. After a brief conversation I left not with a new reel but the ability to fix my reel. Needless to say I got home and the reel works as if it is was new out of the box. Thanks again.

Loyal & Satisfied Customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    This is not so much a post asking questions as it is to spread the word about great customer service. I have a Lamson Guru 3.5 reel on my switch rod that the drag all the sudden went away. I'm talking I went fishing the reel worked great, a week later on my next trip nothing. i went to Mossy's Fly Shop today and told Mike I needed a new reel for my switch rod. After several questions from Mike I was wondering what he was getting at. After a brief conversation I left not with a new reel but the ability to fix my reel. Needless to say I got home and the reel works as if it is was new out of the box. Thanks again.

Loyal & Satisfied Customer.
    Mike is awesome. Mossy's is always my first choice!

like i have have said before i have no trouble spending money at his store, great guy, great store………too bad there isn't one in wasilla!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    like i have have said before i have no trouble spending money at his store, great guy, great store………too bad there isn't one in wasilla!
    The guys at 3 Rivers are not bad either in Wasilla.

Mossys is the ONLY shop in anchorage i shop. Mike is a great guy and always has good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    The guys at 3 Rivers are not bad either in Wasilla.
    they are actually pretty nice (George, Mike???????), I just wish they offered more.

Just curious if anyone ever stops by World Wide Angler, they have a excellent selection - just in a bad location so not sure if most people about it.

Just curious if anyone ever stops by World Wide Angler, they have a excellent selection - just in a bad location so not sure if most people about it.
    There is some shops that have a bigger selection but I promise you will never find better service than mike. The 2nd time I walked in his store he knew me by name, other shops act like they've never seen me after years. Mike will even send my rods back for manufacturers that he doesn't even carry! That's service! Shop Mossys

Quote Originally Posted by JBrowning View Post
    There is some shops that have a bigger selection but I promise you will never find better service than mike. The 2nd time I walked in his store he knew me by name, other shops act like they've never seen me after years. Mike will even send my rods back for manufacturers that he doesn't even carry! That's service! Shop Mossys
    Dont get me wrong, I personally go to Mike first and agree he has the best service/advice in town by far. I actually tried to hit Mossys today but the shop closed at 3 so I hit the other place because I was in desperation for some new beads for tomorrows trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    After a brief conversation I left not with a new reel but the ability to fix my reel.
    What a package- Experience, knowledge and ethics.

Try to get that at a big box store!

Nine times out of ten I'll have my local shop order stuff for me, rather than ordering it online. Get it just as fast, for roughly the same price, and often without shipping. Keeps the shop in business and the shelves well-stocked so I usually don't have to order.

Living off the road system, I make it a point to spend time in all the shops when I visit the big city. The reception is always better at Mossy's, and the folks that "hang" there are as helpful and friendly as he is.

Here's another test of road system shops- Call them up to buy something. Quick, friendly and hassle-free with Mossy's, but not so anywhere else.

i have had better customer service at mid town walmart than wwa, i left disgruntled the first time i went in but everyone has a bad day, mabey the dudes dog died and he just lost the boat in the divorce settlement. my second time in there i left with none of my questions answered and a feeling like i wasnt in the cool club because i wasnt wearing a simms visor and a patagonia button up shirt. needless to say i went straight to mossys and stocked up.

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    i have had better customer service at mid town walmart than wwa, i left disgruntled the first time i went in but everyone has a bad day, mabey the dudes dog died and he just lost the boat in the divorce settlement. my second time in there i left with none of my questions answered and a feeling like i wasnt in the cool club because i wasnt wearing a simms visor and a patagonia button up shirt. needless to say i went straight to mossys and stocked up.
    I have felt the EXACT same way every time I have gone in there, just didn't want to say it. I know stores sponsor certain forums and I wasn't sure about this one but I avoid that place at all costs!

Quote Originally Posted by JBrowning View Post
    I have felt the EXACT same way every time I have gone in there, just didn't want to say it. I know stores sponsor certain forums and I wasn't sure about this one but I avoid that place at all costs!
    Honestly, it was pretty much the same thing when I went there. I asked the guy if he knew what beads were hot on the Parks. He told me he didnt know because he had been hunting and left it at that...

Yeah the people that work there amaze me……….. and they're way to proud of their stuff, over priced and crappy service!

Wow and I thought I was the only one! I will never go back there! Mike at Mossys and Eric at Mt View are my go to guys! They got what I want or get it for me. Always willing to chat it up! Couldn't ask for better customer service! It's so good that when I'm not fishing my girlfriend asks what I did all day it's a scramble to say something other than I spent all day at Mossys or Mt View! Haha
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Here in the valley, there is only one option; 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle. Luckily the guys in there are very helpful and far from snobby. I recently sent in my simms boots for what turned out to be a replacement. They loaned me a pair of boots while mine were in transit. When the new boots showed up, the upgraded model didn't fit right. Tom and Mike swapped me for the right size without batting an eye. They have also showed me how to tie specific fly's that they have in their rack and given samples for buying supplies. It's good to have them open 6 days a week and willing to talk fish and help feed my addiction!

I have had great service over at 3 rivers as well. I was looking for some fingerless gloves but the ones I wanted were not on the shelves. They ordered them for me and within a couple days called me up to pick them up. Living in Wasilla at the time it sure beat driving to Anchorage.

Default Local owners. Local knowledge. Local traditions.

Kaveman - appreciate this thread, thanks. All of the local fly shops have much to offer, and more at stake. We are fortunate to have several. One point I'll add to those already posted. Well maybe two:

1. Small local fly shops have the best stories.
    How many times have you been in the store and overheard a good fresh fishing trip story? That's how I first heard the magic word, "Yakutat".

2. Gift buying is soooo much simpler.
    My wife, bless her, asks me sometimes about my wishes for an upcoming gift opportunity: "have you given it any thought, Dear?", she says. "Ooohhh yeah!", I can reply with confidence. It's easy to be simple and specific: "Lamson Guru 3.5 reel", "9ft 5W [Brand, model] rod is sure nice too". At a big box store, they've sold it, or rearranged. At a local shop, it's still there and the staff there likely remembers you stopping in to look at that item (repeatedly).

BTW: Stand in front of the mirror and practice this scenario. Look, chance favors the prepared, right? Year after year, this is behavior you want to appreciate (and encourage). You both win here. But her motivation (in part) is to make you happy. The better you express HOW happy you are, it stands to reason, the better you encourage and support this fine, noble tradition.

And speaking of traditions, when Dennis McAfee retired (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...fee-s-Fly-Shop), or whenever I see familiar faces in fly shops now, I remember the good advice, stories and products I've associated with them over the years. You get to know people in these shops.

Good thread. Thank you.