Thread: Hilleberg Nallo Wind Noise?

Default Hilleberg Nallo Wind Noise?

Overall I know the Hilleberg Nallo structurally holds up well to the wind but I'm wondering how much wind flap and noise you get in mild or average wind. I've been seriously considering a Nallo 3 but with such large distance between poles it seems that a little wind would create a lot of wind flap and noise. Any insight?

I spent several nights in a Nallo GT (2 or 3 can't remember) a few years back with a fellow forum member on a sheep hunt. I thought there was quite a bit of flapage. I wear earplugs at night so that helped. The Tarra I have gets some flappage at the vestibules but I don't think it's as bad. I still wear earplugs though. I used to have a TNF single wall with internal poles and that thing was silent. Drum tight.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Temp change causes the fabric to get a little flappy but never bothered me. I know of two now that we're demolished in storms on sheep hunts and luckily both groups survived but it is definitely not "bomb proof". I am not going to get rid of mine but when it dies I will get away from tunnel shelters for above tree line.

Pitched into the wind, they aren't bad at all for a three season tent. Nothing like a full four season dome tent, but quite liveable in my opinion. You can usually get them pitched and guyed out quite taught. Tail into the wind really works well.

I would imagine they would be really noisy and probably prone to collapse if pitched with an exposed side, but that goes for almost any three season. I've weathered a couple of good blows in my dads Nallo 3 with no ill effects.

A good snow dump will require that you knocked the snow off a couple times during the night (can be done from the inside for the most part). Pitching into the prevailing wind is usually not that hard with experience. If you really want solid "pitch anywhere and forget it" tent, then tunnels (or any other three season) are not for you. I personally find them more than exceptable.

Yk

I just had my nallo 3 pitched on a snowy ridge where the wind blew a steady 30mph with gusts to 60+ and i didn't experience any wind flap what so ever. Maybe it depends on the direction the tent is pitched in relation to wind direction that caused or didn't cause wind flap? My tent was staked very well with all the guy lines tight as well.

The only piece of fabric on the tent that will flap is that raised vent on the top of the front door. It has two loops to be able to attach guy lines to those, i would suggest doing that to have a quite and even more rock solid tent

We had pretty continuous winds on 4 days of a 10 day hunt in the Brooks this year. The Nallo3GT my wife and I used was not near as noisy as the 12 man kifaru that out other partners were in. The nallo is definately not bullet proof.

We had to repair one of the ground loops at the main entrance of the nallo when I was water treating it and getting it ready to put away for the winter. I can't see using it as a spike camp though - too heavy with the ground pad, etc.

Has anyone used the nallo without the inner tent - use it like a vestibule only for spiking it out?

If its a Hille you want in the 3 man flavor don't discount the Saivo. It's crossed pole design tightens the patent up very, very well leaving smaller spaces.

I've had mine in 30mph winds and there was little flappage.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I was seriously considering the Nallo but am just not convinced. I had a Big Agnes three season bite the dust last summer in a big blow. Seams like about once a year I find myself camped out in some decent winds and can think of a few times camped in extreme winds. Right now I'm looking for a two man that is light enough to carry on solo trips but will battle the wind. To really battle the wind I'd need a four season but finding a four season light enough for solo trips is hard. Yes there are some single man four seasons for four pounds but I'm just not big in the one mans and absolutely have to have a decent vestibule. I was considering the Nallo because you can get a tent that is light enough for a solo trip, yet has room for two and has a great vestibule. The only catch with the Nallo is that it isn't too hard to find someone posting about a tent collapse.

Any other suggestions? I was looking at a Terra Nova Ultralight Quasar at AMH a couple days ago. Really nice 3-4 season tent, 5.5 lbs, great guy outs, but really small vestibule space. I like the Hilleberg Jannu but it's getting fairly heavy for solo packing. I'd like to stay 5 lbs or under and would take a light 4 season or a 3 season with good wind resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I was seriously considering the Nallo but am just not convinced. I had a Big Agnes three season bite the dust last summer in a big blow. Seams like about once a year I find myself camped out in some decent winds and can think of a few times camped in extreme winds. Right now I'm looking for a two man that is light enough to carry on solo trips but will battle the wind. To really battle the wind I'd need a four season but finding a four season light enough for solo trips is hard. Yes there are some single man four seasons for four pounds but I'm just not big in the one mans and absolutely have to have a decent vestibule. I was considering the Nallo because you can get a tent that is light enough for a solo trip, yet has room for two and has a great vestibule. The only catch with the Nallo is that it isn't too hard to find someone posting about a tent collapse.

Any other suggestions? I was looking at a Terra Nova Ultralight Quasar at AMH a couple days ago. Really nice 3-4 season tent, 5.5 lbs, great guy outs, but really small vestibule space. I like the Hilleberg Jannu but it's getting fairly heavy for solo packing. I'd like to stay 5 lbs or under and would take a light 4 season or a 3 season with good wind resistance.

How about this it can be had in green i know where one is http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...ail.cfm?id=736

This is a bombproof tent with a good vestibule the tent is event fabric.http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...ail.cfm?id=876
    http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...ail.cfm?id=878

I am trying this out as my solo tent this year http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...TOKEN=16667302

That Integral designs MK2 Lite looks pretty nice. With vestibule it weight in at 5 lb 12oz. This could be an option.

This looks good the weight is amazing for a two person there are good reviews on this tent. http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-quantumelite-tent

Shane you might check out the rab mountain bivy timber smith has in classifieds. Pretty sure it's the same tent & heck of a deal Rab bought out integral designs I thought

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on an REI Arete ASL 2. I've been shopping around for a couple of weeks and plan on heading out for a five day solo trip starting Wednesday so I was kind of out of time. Not the perfect tent I was looking for but actually gives me more of what I wanted than most of the premium tents I was looking at. Trail weight is around 5lbs 12oz which is a little heavier than optimal but it packs down smaller than most others, which is worth something. I like that it has pole sleeves and you can leave the fly attached to the body and set up the tent with the two already attached. I'll be keeping my eye out for my optimal tent but this should get me by just fine until I find it.

That Rab mountain bivy still looks pretty tempting. That's a smoking good deal.

The Rab is a great tent but that model does not have a Vestibule that i can find.You could use a siltarp with trekking poles for an entrance cover.