Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Year's Sheep Gear

Default Next Year's Sheep Gear

I am starting to think about what gear I want for next year's sheep season. I have all year to buy it so I am starting to do the research now. I am thinking I want to try an internal frame pack this time around. Don't get me wrong, I love the Barney's pack, just want to see if there is a better option out there. I was looking at the Kuiu 7000, but I have heard their carbon fiber frames have problems with cracking, and the straps can break. I was also looking at the Kifaru Long Hunter, and KU5200.

I have a friend that bought a bunch of Kifaru's game bags, and I guess they failed pretty bad on him. If they don't make game bags very well, I am kinda weary about their packs. Anybody have any problems with them? I really like the idea of 2.5 pounds on the KU5200 pack, but am kinda worried about durability. If they shaved that much weight off, where did they sacrafice strength? 5200 kinda seems small too. I would hate to be hiking a sheep out and have my pack explode on me, because it can't handle the weight.

The Long Hunter seems like it's tough, but weighs in at 7 pounds 10 ounces, which is one less than my Barney's pack. But the Long Hunter has a bigger bag, and I would like to upgrade the size of my pack. The Hunter bag I have now, just seems to be too small.

Any opinions, likes or dislikes you guys would be willing to share on the packs will help out my decision a lot. If I am going to spend $600 - $700 I want to make sure I get the right one.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I would hold off on buying a KUIU pack till this years test dummies report on how they have fared. The concept is a good one but did not work out last year.

Kifuru packs have a great reputation from everything I have heard and been able to find. There is a lot of info on this forum about Kifaru packs. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forum.php

What was your buddy doing with their game bags? From what I have seen of them they are more of a meat bag for the inside of your pack, they don't allow airflow like a game bag does.

This is another option that is new on the market but looks promising. I am curious to see how it performs with real world testers.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/products.html

I hate to interrupt your daydreaming about new packs, but I would council patience.

As you get a few more packpack hunts under your belt, you will develop a "style" of hunting and gear organization and start to figure out how much volume YOU really need, what type of pockets you like, etc. That makes it much easier to figure out these semi-custom pack options before you drop that $600+. You buy one now, I think you run a high risk of re-buying in a few years as your methods develop and you pack a sheep or two out of the hills. You won't NEED to ask on an internet forum, because you will know what you want.

That Hunter bag you have now is a good one, and will be a solid pack for you for many years. Might just run it as-is for a little longer.

Personally, I ended up modifying a Barneys pack to exactly suit my style of hunting. It now comes in at 7 lbs even, and works perfectly for me. However, I didn't do that until after I had a number of trips logged to figure out what I liked and disliked.

Just my opinion...

Yk

Bought a Tenzing TZ 6000 for my hunt this year. Worked great for a ten-day hunt with two guys. Recommend taking a look.

Just got back from the hills.Woke up looking at 6'' of fresh snow and waiting for the other guy to start the fire and bring you coffee!!!
    That kind of morning...
    To make a long story short...the Granite Gear Flatbed packboard was super with a drybag.
    it's basic but lots of potential.

I used a Tenzing 5000 for my caribou hunt and thought it was great. That being said...I would hold off until after the SHOT show in January where everyone unveils their new products for the year.

I would take a look at the following, looks like a lighter version of MR.
    http://www.stoneglacier.com/index.html

I have used Kifaru packs for years and also their game bags and have never had any trouble.

Sheep 2010

Sheep 2011

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a barneys right now and love it.. But i may shell out the cash to get the stone glacier, looks like the latest and greatest. For packs i have a hard time trusting an outsiders (outside of alaska) pack design. Kurt is a more hardcore hunter than i will ever be after reading his stories. So in theory, if the pack is good enough for him, its good enough for me

I am tempted to pick one up for wondering the istans. The load shelf would rock for hauling body armor to and from the helo pad.

I have it on good report that the first batch of Stone Glacier packs was suppose to arrive in Bozeman today. They aren't going to be for everybody, but I'm sure interested in hearing some field report from next season.

Yk

[QUOTE=mtnclimber;1174414 Kurt is a more hardcore hunter than i will ever be after reading his stories. So in theory, if the pack is good enough for him, its good enough for me[/QUOTE]

Where can I read his stories at? Tried googling him but not much came up. I did find a guide outfit that has a picture of him up on their page with that big dall he got.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Where can I read his stories at? Tried googling him but not much came up. I did find a guide outfit that has a picture of him up on their page with that big dall he got.
    Hey bronco, Ive read his story of the 44 incher in eastmans magazine which gave short stories of his other sheep as well. And I've heard some of his other stories from friends. The one in eastmans though is a great read. He's on the cover of the mag, so it'll be easier to find, sorry I can't remember the year/issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I have it on good report that the first batch of Stone Glacier packs was suppose to arrive in Bozeman today. They aren't going to be for everybody, but I'm sure interested in hearing some field report from next season.

Yk
    I'm pleased with my Barney's pack and don't expect to drop another $600 for a pack until this one is mostly worn out, but I'm pretty intrigued by those Stone Glacier packs. Count me as another who will be eagerly awaiting field reports.

Steve, which one do you like better, the KU or the Long hunter? I am leaning more towards the KU due to the weight. Does the KU have a way to strap your rifle in as well?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Steve, which one do you like better, the KU or the Long hunter? I am leaning more towards the KU due to the weight. Does the KU have a way to strap your rifle in as well?
    For the weight that I can carry the KU5200 is about the only pack I seem to use these days. The Kifaru gun bearer can be attached to any of their packs and about any other as well. I must tell you, that some hate the gun bearer, but mine is must have on my trips.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for all the advice, and information. I have a few months to make up my mind. But I am leaning heavily towards the KU5200. I want to give it a little time, and like others have said, see some of the reports from all this new stuff. Still got to get a lightweight solo tent, and a few other things as well. I just want to start the research now and be ready to go on Aug 10th.

Thanks again!

I think Luke is using the T1 if I recall correctly. I appreciate the light weight of the KU but I couldn't spend that much on a pack made of that light of fabric no matter how many folks say it holds up. I would sacrifice a couple extra pounds for more robust construction.

http://kifaru.net/timberline_standard.html

The KUIU Icon is a sweet looking bag! Side pockets for storage instead of just one big bag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast