Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike McCrary- Seventy North

Default Mike McCrary- Seventy North

Curious to hear some experiences of those who have flown with Seventy North into the Brooks in the last year or two. Im thinking about booking a trip with him for Sheep and have done some searches here but im looking for some more recent reports. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you had a negative experience. Oh, and if you feel the urge to divulge the location of the exact drainage where you shot your sheep or the coordinates of an area where you saw alot of legal rams feel free to send that info along as well!! Thanks fellas.

Steve

Steve,

I just returned from flying with Mike for the 11th year in a row. He's safe, smart, fair and does everything he can to get guys in and out with game.

Don

Flying out with him tomarrow for bou I will let you know but I have never heard a bad word about Mike and that is very unusual. Everyone highly recommends him. He has been great to deal with so far.

I used Mike, Bob and Seventy North to fly my wife, kids, and I into the Brooks Range summer of 2010 & 2011. I would not hesitate to use them again. Outstanding service! I fly for a living if that adds any validity to my recomendation.

I just finished a very successful hunt that I got flown in by 70 North. They do everything in their power to be as accommodating and hospitable as possible. Great people for sure. Someone else that's flown with them often and to include sheep hunts is AOD member/mod Stid2677. He'd be someone I would hit up. I think he's hunting the Koyukuk right now though.

AZinAK

Steve,

I also have nothing but good things to say about 70 North, Mike and Bob know the country well and between the 206 and Helio will safely put you out there and get you back. Of course actually being successful is always up to the hunter's determination and skill!

Flew with Mike several years ago and would do it again. He wasnt in a good situation at the time but the man jumped threw hoops to make our hunt happen. PM me if you have questions.

Thanks for the reply's guys. The only thing that didnt give me the warm and fuzzy when I spoke to him on the phone was he didnt seem to want to talk about the different areas I could fly into too much. I told him the area I was thinking about then asked what he thought and if he would recommend any other areas and his response was "no, basically the way I work is you tell me the drainage you want and i'll take you there". Im not asking for him to pick an area for me but just alittle feedback since these guys fly the area daily and guys like me wont see it at all until im flying in for the hunt. I figure he might be more open for discussion once I book a trip with him but in the mean time I contacted Kirk with Yukon Air and spoke to him for a bit last night. Kirk seemed very knowledgable and was willing to discuss areas but I wont know until next month if his schedule is open for next year.

Default Mike McCrary- Seventy North

It sounds like 70 north is not wanting to do anything that could be construed as "guiding"- pointing out animals, telling clients where and how.

70north does not know you from Adam. You could be an undercover dude setting a trap.

Steve, this may sound counter-intuitive, but Mike's response to your asking him to recommend any other areas, his position that you tell him where you want to go (for sheep) and he'll get you there, is one I wish more air-taxi operators practiced. Think about it....
    Best,

I know the laws of what a licensed transporter can and cannot do, and by no means and I saying anything negative about Mike's services. In my experience with air transporters they are pretty open about the areas they fly into and will answer specific questions about the area im interested in. I never asked Mike where the Sheep were or whats the best areas for Sheep, I can talk to a biologist about that, you guys are assuming those were the questions I was asking!!

Great guy book with him early for he fills up fairly fast, I have flown with him four or five times in the last seven years and always went out of his way for us... Cant say enough good things about the dude...

My wife, brother, uncle, and I just got back from our first trip with them. Bob sure can fly that helio. Very accomodating and nice pleasant folks. We were focussing on Griz. We got two Griz. Took 6 caribou (could have shot hundreds), and passed on several sublegal sheep and possibly a couple legal sheep.........

Most folks have great things to say about 70 North and Mike. He is a good pilot, and you have to love that helio!

Without trying to sound "negative", I did witness them dropping 4 parties (8 guys) on one strip and another 3 parties (6 guys) on another strip a few miles away from that for sheep. Certainly did not help any of their odds for getting a ram, and most did not. This was just my observation for what it is worth.

In response to arrow1, if you tell mike where you want to go he'll take you there, those guys may have told mike that that is where they wanted to be. I'm glad mike won't pick a drainage for you, he sees some good sheep and spots and I'm glad he'll keep my secret. I've only flown with them once but I was very pleased. If my pockets were deeper I'd do it again.

In response to sambuck12, dropping numbers of hunters like that in any sheep area is poor taste regardless of where they wanted to go. Is that what you want for your "secret spot" the next time you spend the big $$$ to visit? Think about it. I can tell you their customers had...

We've flown with him for caribou last year and sheep this year. I'd do the caribou fly-in again, but the sheep, not so much. You can PM me for details if you'd like.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Steve,

I also have nothing but good things to say about 70 North, Mike and Bob know the country well and between the 206 and Helio will safely put you out there and get you back. Of course actually being successful is always up to the hunter's determination and skill!
    me too!... espessally when bob only thought you would have a Bou or two... and you pop 7 on him... kids had a great time with them
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow1 View Post
    In response to sambuck12, dropping numbers of hunters like that in any sheep area is poor taste regardless of where they wanted to go. Is that what you want for your "secret spot" the next time you spend the big $$$ to visit? Think about it. I can tell you their customers had...
    Agreed, I know with the carrier I use, they will not drop you on a strip if they've already put someone else there, even if you ask for that spot.

I sent you an email regarding the sheep hunt.
    Thank you

RP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast