Thread: Moose: With dawn and dusk changing so rapidly...

Default Moose: With dawn and dusk changing so rapidly...

Would you;
    A: Go out while dark and sit in the dark through early morning?
    or
    B: Go out at first light and sit through early morning?

In short, how long would you want to be in spotting position before first light?

I try to get out while its light enough to walk but still too dark to glass...usually about 30-45mins worth of that. You could go earlier but I've never thought it really helpful- particularly if you've scouted where you're going and know the best way to get there. Stay longer in your spot too- I've noticed the last few days that moose are moving more later in the AM with the rut coming on.

Waiting too long is a worse deal- this AM I spotted some caribou, pursued them a couple miles but unfortunately couldn't close the distance enough to seal the deal. I got back to my camp just about the time the "neighbors" got up for the day. Heard 'em griping to each other that there weren't any caribou!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

What I have found the best thing to do is be in your hunting spot a minimum of one hour before it starts to get light and do not leave.......... I have seen moose show up at all times of the day.

Default Moose: With dawn and dusk changing so rapidly...

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    What I have found the best thing to do is be in your hunting spot a minimum of one hour before it starts to get light and do not leave.......... I have seen moose show up at all times of the day.
    I'll be hiking back about 2 mi. That means using my headlamp, that light going through won't "bother" the moose?
    New hunter, sorry if the answer is obvious.

Use a headlamp with a green lense and it won't spook the animal. Get out 1 hour before first light and sit quietly. It will come.

I had a real good little moose hot spot for quite awhile. Because it was so hard to get into in the morning (dark), I would set up a tent about 1/4 mile away and just stay there. But, even though I had my "spot" I would get up and get ready, but because I ran into moose quite often on the way to the "spot", rather than run into a potential legal bull and take the chance of not being able to see it, I just would wait at the tent until I felt I could see well enough to be able to tell if a bull was legal or not should I run into one.

I have always worried about passing up a legal bull (or any animal I'm hunting) because it was too dark to see going in......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

moose are not deer they move when they feel like it... more depends on the weather.. and rut....hot days they dont move much...rut they are either looking or doing what the cows are doing...

I go out at light and sit till dark..

There is no secret formula for moose hunting....sometimes you sit, sometimes you walk, sometimes you see them at twilight, sometimes midday.... some spook easy, some you can walk right up on.... the only sure thing is, if you aren't in the woods, you won't see any! Persistence pays off.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I think 4merguide nailed it well. The more eperience one gets on a given hunting area the more one will know the "whens" and "wheres" about any game species. After I find an area I want to hunt I look over my approach options and then go accordingly. I have always liked being in position about 20 minutes before shooting light on most game species, but if I am going to bump game I will delay entry until I can see to shoot.
    I don't believe lights have a major effect on game, noise is more a problem. I have used green and red lenses and it may help, I do try to shine my lights down more than all over the place.
    Moose seem to travel on their own schedules unless temps are very warm. When the rut is on all game animals throw the clocks out the window. My rule is ya can't kill'em from your bed so spend as much time afield as you can.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

We like to get out early, most moose we have seen have been the 1st two hours of light, but we have seen them all through the day and evening. When the weather is cool, they will move around more. If it gets hot, be sure to get up early and stay out to dark. You can skip the middle of the day and catch up on some sleep if it is hot. If the weather is drizzly and cool, then no sleep and out as much as the old bones can take it. Getting to your hunting spot early can't hurt if you know the way well and it is a short walk. It is harder to keep quite sometimes though. If there is hunting pressure, then the moose may be more nocturnal and the early morning may be the only way to get them before the rest of the hunting masses even gets out of bed. Getting up before dark is really hard sometimes. We admittedly miss the mark often, especially if it was a late night. Good reason not to drink much in camp at night too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we got another just before dark one this weekend... i think 95% of the ones i have skinned are late in the day moose...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    we got another just before dark one this weekend... i think 95% of the ones i have skinned are late in the day moose...
    i should add.... we often bed the moose in the morning,,, that we shoot in the eve.. knowing where they are is a big thing to have in your pocket
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here