Thread: Looking to build a remote steer/throttle for my outboard tiller

Default Looking to build a remote steer/throttle for my outboard tiller

Need help. I had the concept already before I started using google. I am going with the method I have always heard called a "whip stick", basically a control stick at the center seat, push forward on the stick to make the motor turn left, pull back on the stick to make the motor turn right, vice-versa, whatever, and a twist grip on it for the throttle, just like an outboard tiller or motorcycle handlebar.

You can see it in your mind right?

What I want to do is sit in the middle seat, with my wife beside me. That should simplify trim issues in our small boat quite a bit.

Did I mention I want quick releases on it so when the going gets rough I can disconnect it and run the boat from the stern seat?

I can see the thing in my mind. A pivot point for the control stick, some cable, some turnbuckles, some pulleys, a couple hooks. I can even see pulling the handlebars off a junkyard motorcycle to get a stick I can weld to with a factory made doohickey to hook the throttle cable to.

What I don't have the foggiest clue on is what kind of cable? How thick? How big a pulley do I need four of? Or maybe six. How much leverage? Do I put the pivot on the stick halfway up? A third? Three quarters of the way up? Seems like brake cable off a bicycle ought to be enough for the throttle cable, may need to go stouter for the motor turning elements.

Do I just have to wing it?

FWIW the motor on there now is under ten HP and I don't see going over ten in the future. 17' Grumman canoe.

Thanks.

Perfect!! Thanks.