Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Heck, .375 with Muzzle Breaks should not be allowed

Default Holy Heck, .375 with Muzzle Breaks should not be allowed

Just got back from the range and some guy three table's down had a .375 with a muzzle break. I am very serious when I say that those things can damage the ears of people next to them, even if we are wearing hearing protection. I had to back off and wait until this dude finished. I should have offered to shoot the gun with him standing 20 feet to the side of it. Seriously lethal to everyone BUT the shooter. It really made a huge impact on me and I will forever take inventory of what others are shooting around me.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Just got back from the range and some guy three table's down had a .375 with a muzzle break. I am very serious when I say that those things can damage the ears of people next to them, even if we are wearing hearing protection. I had to back off and wait until this dude finished. I should have offered to shoot the gun with him standing 20 feet to the side of it. Seriously lethal to everyone BUT the shooter. It really made a huge impact on me and I will forever take inventory of what others are shooting around me.
    YEP!! Most hearing protection only reduces noise by 25-30db so even ear plugs combined with ear muffs would only give you a 55-60db reduction in noise. A 375 probably is putting out in excess of 180db; Anything in excess of 75-80db requires hearing protection. Most people can't stay on a range long with a magnum cannon, just back-up and drink a coke until they're gone and finish your rat killing.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Last spring I was at the range when the guys next to me and my kid set up an AR. It was short and the muzzle only went about half way to the end of the table. This put it right next to our heads sitting next to them. Hot brass on the back and noise right in the left ear. I had plugs and muffs on and could barely handle it. My kid had to go sit in the truck until they packed up.

I have taken a couple of guys duck hunting and when they show up with a 3.5 inch semi auto sporting a ported extended choke tube I make a point of them only shooting in one direction - away from me. If there is a crossing shot out front its mine.

I'm all for people having whatever gun they want, but if you pick an ear-damaging canon, then have the decency to think about other people.

Most, if not all firearms are in excess of 120 decibles, so hearing protection is required. I always try to be aware of what other people are shooting next to me at the range, and position myself accordingly. I'll put up with a rifle with a brake much more readily than poor, or dangerous gun handling. I think noise is a lot like heat, or pain, some folks can put up with more than others. I can't stand rap , but gunfire is music to my ears.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Holy Heck, .375 with Muzzle Breaks should not be allowed

Theres always kansas whitetail?

I've gotten into the habit of doubling up with ear plugs and muffs at the range. The louder guns don't seem to bother me with this set up.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    I'm all for people having whatever gun they want, but if you pick an ear-damaging canon, then have the decency to think about other people.
    Not sure what you want to happen -- Not allowed or some decency? Those are 2 entirely different things.

If you want to talk about rude behavior at the range, that can be a long list. Common sense is not common, nor has it ever been.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Just a product of a bunch of people forced to use the same place at the same time. You probably annoyed someone else there in some other way and they someone else.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You should see if the range could provide plywood screens so the sissy shooting the muzzle break could put them on each side of his table so he could enjoy the full benefit of the reflection of concussion leaving the rest of the range comfortable.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I mentioned a similar experience in anothe rpost.
    Yukoner Ted and I were up at the range, and while we were fiddling with scopes, the young fellow next to us, with his gal, let one go with his 416 Weatherby with a brake. Yee Gods!
    I only know the cal. as he saw fit to come over to us and show us his "big gun". He only mentioned this to Ted as I was off cursing and swearing behind the line with my ears ringing.
    Common courtesy (and sense) would have told him to mention to us what he was shooting and to give us the option of moving off the line.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You should see if the range could provide plywood screens so the sissy shooting the muzzle break could put them on each side of his table so he could enjoy the full benefit of the reflection of concussion leaving the rest of the range comfortable.
    Yea partition screens could help but I would rather take the blast than wonder what somebody I donít know was doing with their gun on the other side of a thin hunk of plywood! Plexyglass would be fine as would some consideration for to those around when shooting. I used to test 50bmgs at Ben Avery range in Phoenix every Friday, the brake on a 50bmg will knock the partition right over onto the guy in the next lane! Nobody minded that though for just the 5 rounds pre gun I did, people would show up just to watch and feel the thump even . . . get their Friday morning going good.

Bottom line though, put a bunch of alpha personality types (i.e. gun guys) in one place trying to do their own thing all at once and there will be a lot of guys annoyed about something or other before very long at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't understand the breaks on them anyway, with a decent recoil pad they don't kick hard enough to warrant one any how?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Not sure what you want to happen -- Not allowed or some decency? Those are 2 entirely different things.

If you want to talk about rude behavior at the range, that can be a long list. Common sense is not common, nor has it ever been.
    I'm not sure what YOU think SHOULD happen.

PacWest seems to want those who insist on brakes to have some consideration for others. (Decency, Courtesy, whatever you wanna call it.) I rather think that's the ONLY acceptable answer, since we surely don't want the Gubmint to BAN them.

That would create another avenue to restrict guns. Maybe, that's what you're suggesting.

However, I can see Shooting Ranges, banning them from there premises, or Hunting Guides, refusing to accept them on their guided hunts.

Anyway, it is IMO, a Great Dilemma.

Again, courtesy seems the only practical solution, if there is one. As much as I HATE'EM, and I mean HATE'EM, I'm trying to be more tolorent of them. Yeah Right.

The NEW Smitty???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You know, maybe a specific set of tables designated for the excessively loud rifles wouldn't be a bad idea. It might cut down on the wait time for a bench for some of us and/or increase the wait time for others because if your gonna label a specific group as special you'd better darn well not park in their spot. It may cut down on those unexpected moments for some but may cause some frustration for others forced to wait for a bench while they can clearly see open tables.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Here's one better: ask the range to set up a table with ten (10) auto tires bolted together to form a tube and set on a 2x4 rack. The fellows with breaks on their rifles would shoot through the tube. The tube and table associated with that position would be set up so the individual would have the muzzle about one foot (or more), inside the tube. The tires would absorb the concussion, everyone would be able to see who is doing what, and most everyone would be happy-happy joy-joy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I agree that we should not only have some courtesy, but probably some rules too. I get annoyed by:

Those muzzle brakes.
    Those unbraked Weatherby magnums.
    Ported marlins
    Unported short marlins
    M1 Garand clips flying in the air.
    Ruger Alaskan 454s fired fast double action.
    SKSs and AKs tossing brass across my line of sight.
    M16s spewing brass all over me.
    SBR 223s and 308s going off.
    Same with Glocks and 33 round magazines.
    50 BMGs.
    Fat guys at the range in crop tops (wait never mind thats me)

Best we all stay home.

Insert irony smiley here.

Because they are worthless, the opinions expressed are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm not sure what YOU think SHOULD happen.

PacWest seems to want those who insist on brakes to have some consideration for others. (Decency, Courtesy, whatever you wanna call it.) I rather think that's the ONLY acceptable answer, since we surely don't want the Gubmint to BAN them.

That would create another avenue to restrict guns. Maybe, that's what you're suggesting.

However, I can see Shooting Ranges, banning them from there premises, or Hunting Guides, refusing to accept them on their guided hunts.

Anyway, it is IMO, a Great Dilemma.

Again, courtesy seems the only practical solution, if there is one. As much as I HATE'EM, and I mean HATE'EM, I'm trying to be more tolorent of them. Yeah Right.

The NEW Smitty???

Smitty of the North
    I expressed NO opinion regarding muzzle breaks. I simply asked for clarification on his two completely different statements, one of which was the title of this thread "should not be allowed." Your reply to me is very peculiar.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

The tire tube thing is actually not a bad idea and could easily and cheaply be put on several lanes. I use plugs and muffs when the noisy guns are on line and it helps quite a bit.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I expressed NO opinion regarding muzzle breaks. I simply asked for clarification on his two completely different statements, one of which was the title of this thread "should not be allowed." Your reply to me is very peculiar.
    I found your post a little odd, too.

I thought you were Disagreeing with pac-west, and I was Agreeing with him.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast