Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Boots for Bear Hunting...Neos vs Hodgeman?

Default Hip Boots for Bear Hunting...Neos vs Hodgeman?

I need hip boots for my bear hunting trip. I'm contemplating buying a pair of the Neos hip Overboots. Or should I go with the traditional Hodgeman hipboots? I like the Neos because I can quickly change into them without taking off my danners.

What do the professionals say? Or rather, anyone who has experience with both boots. I've used both but never on a bear hunt.

HipBoots

Get LaCrosse, Big Chief, insulated, ankle fit hipboots.

Quote Originally Posted by HipBoots View Post
    yep,most popular footwear in all of the bear camps I've been in

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    I need hip boots for my bear hunting trip. I'm contemplating buying a pair of the Neos hip Overboots. Or should I go with the traditional Hodgeman hipboots? I like the Neos because I can quickly change into them without taking off my danners.

What do the professionals say? Or rather, anyone who has experience with both boots. I've used both but never on a bear hunt.
    Where are you hunting? I've not used slip over waders, but that is entirely due to the terrain where I hunt. There are a few places where a good hiking boot will suffice, but for everywhere else hip waders (LaCrosse are great) or knee boots get the call. I'm sure there are areas where going back forth from waders to hiking boots is helpful, but I think it sounds like a better idea than it actually is, at least that's the case here in SW AK.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Which ever ones you can run the fastest in! For me that is the LaCrosse ones!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I am gonna say lacrosse... the whole changing boots only works on paper especially when bear hunting is concerned.. Things happen QUICK once a bear is spotted and I assure you, you are not going to want to miss a chance at a bear to change slip on boots...
    however if you are talking interior that could be different and a good hiker may suffice...

Well, I know the Neos are super fast to put on. It takes about the same amount of time to put on a pair of jeans. They do have a good tread, vibram soles. I like that I can pack these along, not feel the weight, and whip them out and be ready to go within a minute or two. Only negative, they aren't as tight fitting as a Lacross hipboot.

I'll be hunting on Kodiak Island, which I know is wet. But I think I will be spending most of my time on a hillside looking up a couple of drainages...so I don't think I'll need to wear hipboots for that. But I know I may have to cross a creek or two.

Granted if I were to be doing a lot of hiking, I'd want a pair like the Lacross boots. I do love Lacross...

decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Well, I know the Neos are super fast to put on. It takes about the same amount of time to put on a pair of jeans. They do have a good tread, vibram soles. I like that I can pack these along, not feel the weight, and whip them out and be ready to go within a minute or two. Only negative, they aren't as tight fitting as a Lacross hipboot.

I'll be hunting on Kodiak Island, which I know is wet. But I think I will be spending most of my time on a hillside looking up a couple of drainages...so I don't think I'll need to wear hipboots for that. But I know I may have to cross a creek or two.

Granted if I were to be doing a lot of hiking, I'd want a pair like the Lacross boots. I do love Lacross...

decisions decisions.
    It sounds like you already know what you want and for good reason. Get the Neos and be happy about it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It sounds like you already know what you want and for good reason. Get the Neos and be happy about it...!!!

Pretty much, but I wanna make sure there are no negative experiences with those...Just doing ma homework.

I am a bit lost on you coming on here asking for help with this when it is appears that you live on Kodiak and have hunted on Kodiak? Don't you know what you are getting yourself into as far as the lay of the land and what terrain you will encounter? I have hunted Kodiak twice and wore hip boots, knee high boots, and Lowa sheep hunting boots. The one bear I went after I wore my Lowas because that is what I had on at the time and didn't have time to change. That being said I didn't notice any creeks or water while making that stalk or the hike back with the bear hide on my back.

I've had my Neos for 3 seasons now. I wont buy them again for a few reasons: They are very blousey and thus are a bit noisy. I've found the soles to be more slippery on wet rocks and lastly they started to leak, just lightly, during their second season and a bit more this year. In the past I've had some LcCrosse boots last 5 seasons and found the dimple style soles to have great traction. The Neos are light an easy to carry around but that was not offset by their shortcomings. IMHO

Thanks Eagle, that was exactly the sort of comment I was looking for. I know the Lacross are a proven product but I wasn't sure about the Neos. Thanks for sharing!

Not throw a monkey in the wrench but I've been trying out the new Cabelas Tundra boot/waders and like them very much. They wear like a lace-up hunting boot with a roll up not so breathable top. I say not so breathable because they were a little wet inside after packing my wife's caribou, packing my moose, and wading upstream 4 miles and back down. My paints were damp but not wet but the inside of the waders were slightly wet. I wear wool so I never noticed. They support better than the ankle burleys I wore out and are much lighter. They worked great for kneeling in the swamp quartering my moose and keeping most of the blood off my pants. I plan to wear them on my Kodiak hunt with a 3/4 Helly rain jacket. Only draw back are the laces getting caught on stuff. Covering them with Neoprene wading gaiters solved that issue.

I have had great luck with Neos. I used them extensively crossing many glacial river braids while walking in sharp shale between the crossings. I felt much more comfortable on the rocks and bouldering with my mountain boots under the waders than I would have in a lacrosse style boot, especially with a heavy load on my back. I didn't expect them to hold up, but they did. I was impressed with them. They are fairly light, but are substantially tougher than some ultra light brands. There are not very quiet, but I find most waders to be noisy.

My son and I are going on a boat based black bear hunt out of Homer next spring. I'm trying to figure out the best footwear. I imagine there will be a lot of glassing from the big boat and/or skiff. I also figure on hiking in to do some glassing as well. I see this is an old thread and was wondering if there are any new perspectives. I can see the overboots being a pain. I can also see hiking in hip boots would not be the greatest plan. Just wondering what has worked for you guys that do your bear hunting or even your deer hunting with a boat as your primary method of transportation?

Over many years of boat based hunting my crew have all gone to breathable wading pants with cleated wading boots like Korkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Over many years of boat based hunting my crew have all gone to breathable wading pants with cleated wading boots like Korkers.
    This. Korker has a very aggressive carbide stud available for wet grass or sheet ice. I like simms for the wader because of comfort, breathability and warranty. They are worth the extra money.

KLNhunter: FWIW, I've been using Simm's G3, or their Headwaters Stocking-Foot Chest Waders, along with their G3 Wading Lug-Boot, w/Alumibite Cleats, these boots offer "Very" Good Ankle-Support as well, and you can kneel-down, sit-down, anywhere it's Wet or Muddy, and keep your "Ass" dry, You can also Layer Dress under this arrangement, for different Weather Conditions, I've found that this arrangement keeps a Guy feeling pretty good, when others are "Miserable" Wet & Cold, well you get the Idea.
    Anyway,,,, that's my "Story" and I'm sticking to it.
    TG
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Thanks gents. I've got a pair of the waist highs, but will have to pick up a new set of boots (will check out those G3) as mine are currently felt--no good for climbing and illegal for AK. I'll get those set up for my son. I've got an old set of Cabelas Bog Busters hip boots I climbed all over Kodiak Island with a decade ago. If I can't find any great deals before we go I will probably make them work one more time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HipBoots View Post
    Yep, 100% what this guy said. I hunted bear, moose, caribou, and yes even sheep and mt. goat in my big chiefs. Not always the most comfortable, but definitely the toughest, most versatile, and able to keep up with the demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast