Thread: Kodiak Goat Success

Default Kodiak Goat Success

Left Kodiak with Andrews Air on Friday, setup camp on the lake and just messed around ding some looking from camp. Did find 3 goats right from camp, but they were across the lake in the wrong unit. They must've known it too as they stayed there all week, out of harms way. Day one we hiked up to a saddle to glass the valley below, goats to the left, goats to the right, oh the dilema I had. Well I was hoping to get one with the bow, the herd on the right was in an area where I could hopefully get within 30yds, where the rest, well, they we're in the great wide open. We dropped our packs and made our way up high above them and out of sight. Well we ended up going way to high and out of sight, never saw them, looked at every grass spot I saw on the way, slowly peeking over the ledges, they were gone. So we dropped down and slowly made our way back. Walking back we bumped right into them, they were right where I saw them earlier in the day, we went to high and just couldn't see them earlier. Now they're down wind of us, we hunkered down and figured might as well get a good look as they're leaving in a minute. Well they hung out, but didn't spook off, we got a good look, some cute little kids in there, nannies, and a nice billie.They started up the mountain, I figured night a well give it a shot and started running to beat them to the punch. I didn't lead them enough and got there in time to watch the last half of them walk right by me at 20yds, which was worth it. I let them get out of site and we made our way back to camp, we had a good idea of what was where now and where the goat I wanted was. Went back up Sunday morning, but the weather changed on the way up, I never thought that would happen in Kodiak,and we got chase back to camp for the day. Woke up Monday morning, good weather, partly cloudy and wind seemed right. We headed up for the 3rd time, got to the saddle, goats to the left, but nothing to the right, we'll I'm going that way anyway, hopefully they're in the bowl on the far side. Nope, hour n half later, no goats in the bowl, but 3 good goats way up high on a peak above it. Well that heard has to be here somewhere, so we climb the last 400' to the top, take a look at the other side. Get to the to, loving the view, then, the 3 goat up top move into the bowl to feed, and out of nowhere, 5 more white dots appeared, how the heck do they do that? So we get the glass out, yup, there he is, time to go. So we grab our gear and make our way down out of site. Well we get to where they're hopefully making their way too, take a look, they held up, actually making their way back to where they came, way out of bow range. Looking at the weather, it ain't going to be pretty tomorrow. My bud has my 300, I grab it, and put the sites on the billie and send one that way. He jumps and makes his way to a cliff about 60yds away and holds up. Get a good look, I hit him low, was hoping I missed due to where he's sitting now, this ain't going to be pretty. Send another one, right through both shoulders, be lays down, sweet!!!! He's gonna stay right, o, o, there he goes, 60' off a cliff, head first, then but first, head, butt, then roll 100yds to where he started in the grass and to the snow. Well the deed is done, time to start the work. Get there, just as I figured, one of the horns is gone, but he's a beauty of a billie. I start skinning as my buddy goes looking for the other horn without any luck. We finish the packs up and start the long hike back over the mountain. Since my bud has a back issue, which I knew about, he's carrying my gear as I pack the hide as well as all the meat out. We take a break and drop the packs at the saddle, abut half way back and I tell him I'm regretting leaving the meat on the bone. We get back to camp just as the rain starts the last light fades. The next morning while getting a meat rack built the wind kicks up bad, lays the tent down, blows one of the poles apart, it goes through the fly. We set out to relocating camp in the wind and on/off/on rain. Get everything moved, get the meat covered with a tarp and spend Tues/Weds stuck in the tent, checking to make sure the meat is still there every time the rain stops. Thursday morning arrives, clear blue skies and a light wind, finally. Check the meat, it's dry, could believe it. About 0830 a trooper flies in, he saw us on Monday but we were hunting. Checked the meat, saw he liked the rack and meat all looked good, said it was a real nice goat, which I liked, measured out at 9" and roughly 8 yrs old with big bases. Before he left I asked if he;d call Andrews on the radio for us, see if they could get us today as we're supposed to fly out tomorrow and he obliged us. Well we packed up everything except the tent, hopeful. We started a fire and picked some berries as I was going to do some tenderloins for lunch, heard a faint noise up the valley, a plane?? It's red, and yellow, it's Andrews, flying right by, no, wait, he's below that ridge, he's turning, I'll be ****ed, he's landing!!! I rush to get the tent broke down, while my bud puts out the fire, and starts getting ready to load. About the time I walk back with the tent their loading the last of the meat, only thing left is me and the puppy. We left the lake, flying towards a beautiful clear blue sky, ready for a hot bath and chocolate cake!!!!

IMG_3531.jpgIMG_3566.jpg

I have a bunch more pics, on my Facebook account,maybe this will work....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7195127&type=3

That is a cool hunting report and nice billy! Love the pics of your dog, he? sure seems right at home out there with you hunting goats.

Abel,

Congrats on a nice goat.

Randy

Good story. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up. Keeps thoes of us at work dreaming of better days.

Great story and a nice billy. I am going to Kodiak next week for goats. Was this a drawing permit or regristration?

It was a draw hunt, pup loved it, although he wasn't huge fan of the plane ride, especially trying to get out, has an issue with heights. But he's liking the goat meat at home here tho

Right On Abel & co.

Great story, Great times with friend,...and "Best Friend," and the "Variable Friendliness of Kodiak weather,...
    and some fine meat in the freezer there

Congrats, and thanks for taking the time to tell us all about it, fantastic
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

ABEL, what a great picture of the Pup and Goat, nose to nose. Thanks for the writeup.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story. I had the same experience with a trooper last year. He landed on the lake once and took off and came back about 2hrs later as we got closer to the lake. He jumped out the alders and introduced himself. He checked out our meat and horns. My buddy had the goat's fries on top of the bag. The troper said "If you took them, you probably got the rest of the goat." He was a nice guy. He gave us a couple of bug nets as we were getting tore up.

Great post, congratulations! Nice having your hunting buddy with you! Did he get a bonus in his dog dish?

Ya, that pup spoiled stupid, he knows he gets whatever we kill. Wouldn't touch his bowl last night until there was a chunk of goat in it.

Very cool man, I'd love to take my Malamute hunting but he'd chase every goat off the mountain before I'd have a chance to stalk! Ill be off to Center Mountain in a few weeks chasing goats, hopefully I will be as successful as you with a nice Billie. Good job and nice old goat you got there, congrats!

Hey, i recognize that pup!! Great story and glad to see that you can shoot almost as well as you can fish!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Very cool, congrats sir!!!

Great write up and a great hunt!

I concur .......great all around hunt !