Thread: Wall Hanger

Default Wall Hanger

After quite a few unsuccessful hunts for black bear in PWS, moose, and Haul Road caribou, my wife now has a trophy for the wall.

We went into a new area for us, a strip at what we thought was an abandoned mining claim in 20a. Turns out there was another miner still on the claim, and his party showed up the morning after we did. Took him by surprise, so he was a bit miffed initially, but then they all became friendly when we assured them we would try to deconflict. They gave us some great advice about where/how to hunt the area, so on the third evening after an early supper, we sat and saw the ONLY moose we saw the entire trip, including the drive to/from Fairbanks.

He's no stud, but my wife made a great series of shots, then shook so hard I had to notch her tag for her. We butchered until 1 am, one light failed (extra batteries in camp), hauled one load out, then after about 3-1/2 hours sleep, got up and finished the job and hauling. Lots of yummy tender meat (tenderloins last night) and a nice European mount for the wall!

P9040014.jpgP9050025.JPG

Good job working out difference with your knew hunting partners and helping your wife connect on her moose, every animal taken is a trophy and that smile on your wifes face packing her moose antlers out after no sleep says it all!

Great job my wife is ready to start hunting this next year! Ill be glad to have her as my hunting Partner!!!

Congrat's Better watch out, my wife shot here very first whitetail that I'm still trying to beat.

Tell the wife congrats on the moose
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Very nice. My wife got her first and only moose last year.

Right on...!!! Gotta love those earrings while out moose hunting....!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great job to both of you. Any animal taken with your wife is a real trophy. You guys that have your wive's hunt with you are very fortunate.

Thanks again

Congrats young lady! Sounds like it was handled very well all around...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks all. She can handle the hard work, but dislikes getting cold and absolutely HATES feeling dirty. As with the earrings, she always reminds me she's "still a girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Thanks all. She can handle the hard work, but dislikes getting cold and absolutely HATES feeling dirty. As with the earrings, she always reminds me she's "still a girl!"
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Wall Hanger

Good on you and your wife! My wife has finally agreed to go with me next year. I believe we are going to try for some unit 13 caribou. I'm pretty stoked to finally go hunting with my best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post

my wife made a great series of shots, then shook so hard I had to notch her tag for her. We butchered until 1 am, one light failed (extra batteries in camp), hauled one load out, then after about 3-1/2 hours sleep, got up and finished the job and hauling. Lots of yummy tender meat (tenderloins last night) and a nice European mount for the wall!
    This is such an Excellent post of a "Team hunt,"
    short and to the point,
    and So Descriptive of what is certainly a really Great Hunting Couple, having the time of their lives out there

Thanks for posting it all, and "Great Job, (or is it unreal luck?) finding that girl,...!!"

Hope you write again about your next adventure out there

I'd actually be Really Interested in more of the story on this hunt,....you've got some serious "Way with words,..." Really
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !