Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a critical election year - Can we have the P&R forum back for the next 2 months?

Default It's a critical election year - Can we have the P&R forum back for the next 2 months?

Seriously, just 2 months. Turn it on, let's discuss the politics of the day and you can lock it down again on November 7.

Pretty please?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Aren't there plenty of other places to argue over such things?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes there are.

Care to name one or three?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Discuss, discuss, discuss- Not argue IO!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Default It's a critical election year - Can we have the P&R forum back for the next 2 months?

That would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Discuss, discuss, discuss- Not argue IO!
    Sorry, my bad. I guess I chose my words based on previous experience here. Have never, that I can recall, witnessed a civil political discussion here, only childish argument involving copious insulting name calling and innuendo; last occurrence being only ~48 hours ago. And it's not that I'm overly sensitive, it's that too many people are incapable of civil discussion without resorting to sophomoric insults. As such, I wholeheartedly agree with the site owners policy of no political or religious debate. I think the site is the better for it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

JOAT, there are 69 forums on this site (OK, 68, because the women have their own by invitation... go figure). Even with that many forums, you can be sure that folks with delicate sensibilities would just have to go to the P&R forum, like a moth to flame, and, after viewing a thread or post that they don't agree with, would complain like children when they got their feelings hurt.
    My question and plea continues to be: if the women have a forum just for themselves by invitation, why not a P&R forum by invitation also? It would be a forum where you have to obey the rules or get thrown out and you have to man up and not whine when your toes got stepped on.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Seriously, just 2 months. Turn it on, let's discuss the politics of the day and you can lock it down again on November 7.

Pretty please?
    Pretty please, I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    why not a P&R forum by invitation also? It would be a forum where you have to obey the rules or get thrown out and you have to man up and not whine when your toes got stepped on.
    Without thinking on it much, that idea sounds like it might have merit...

You dirty bunch of so and so's..... Sorry, couldn't help myself. I was just warming up , in case.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

The purpose of Outdoors Directory is to exchange information about the Alaska outdoors. While we realize that both politics and religion connect us, identify us and permeate most of what we do, and that it is therefore impossible to completely separate them from who we are, our decision to avoid targeting those two topics on this site is final.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The purpose of Outdoors Directory is to exchange information about the Alaska outdoors. While we realize that both politics and religion connect us, identify us and permeate most of what we do, and that it is therefore impossible to completely separate them from who we are, our decision to avoid targeting those two topics on this site is final.

-Mike
    I like the policy, Mike. Let's keep this a haven away from all that political garbage where we can talk all things Alaska outdoors. This is one of the only places I visit physically or on the web that I don't have to see or hear about politics and I enjoy that.

Such a board can't exist so that you don't "have to see or hear about politics"? Thus implying that if it is written down on some obscure, remote board within the site, that you "have to" go read it?

You know, I really don't like the "Out and About" board. And it has nothing to do with Alaska Outdoors. But rather than making the site remove that board that I don't like, I just choose not to read it. And that allows those who do want to read all that trash to go have at it. It's pretty cool being able to choose for myself what to read and what to ignore.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ...You know, I really don't like the "Out and About" board. And it has nothing to do with Alaska Outdoors. But rather than making the site remove that board that I don't like, I just choose not to read it. And that allows those who do want to read all that trash to go have at it. It's pretty cool being able to choose for myself what to read and what to ignore.
    Personal responsibility and ownership of one's choice emanate from the "C" side of things, whereas victimhood and a preoccupation with being offended come from the "L" side.
    Anyway, gotta go. I have a busy day lined up of trying to keep people from voting and actively trampling the poor, and women.

Personal responsibility and ownership of one's choice emanate from the "C" side of things, whereas victimhood and a preoccupation with being offended come from the "L" side.
    This is actually a pretty good example of why it's a bad idea. People are complicated and as often as not you've actually got a lot in common with people you disagree with about political issues. I can't see any advantage to creating a forum that's 1) off-topic, and 2) where people are just going to insult each other. We've got the comments sections in newspaper websites for that.

Regarding the women's forum: it has been consistently sticking with outdoors topics. Nothing political, nothing off-topic. It's been great!

Lightbulb Other places . . .

Here you go . . register, and argue away to your heart's content:

http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/forum/index.php

I DISAGREE. And perhaps it's not that the "L" side of things is "preoccupied with being offended", but that folks on the "C" side of things are just (apparently) more naturally inclined to be offensive!
    #Resist

Hence the reason for no p/r forum.

Wink Opportunity knocks . . .

No excuses . . anyone wanting to indulge political discussion can visit the Web site I referenced above. Here are just a few of the political threads currently under discussion. Lots of participation from both sides of the divide.

Republicans/Democrats Race Politics

Romney vs. Obama

Dialectics and Exceptionalism and Whatever

Democrat states

Obama the petulant leftist

I proclaim him Saint Clint of Eastwood

Democrats are toast

Feel free to jump in . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast