Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Seat/Looking for a Hunting Partner

I have a fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me mentality. If they take advantage of the offer and don't know what they are doin I would like to think I'd be able to pick up on it quickly but hey can't find another partner if I dont put out the word you know? Just openly offering, if nobody takes me up on it thats their perogative I guess! Thanks for the humor anyway.

Zach

Anyone hunting through the 25th around Fairbanks? I'm relativley new and would like to get out but don't know much about the areas that are still open to hunt. I have all my own gear, except a wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by greenspeed View Post
    Any interest in some upland bird this weekend in the Sutton/HP area? I haven't been out since August and the way this weeks been at work I need to go get some birds.
    Going to try and go on Sunday, Planning on up the Glenn past Sutton, and going to try for a last ditch effort to fill my moose tag too

Any experienced moose hunters out there near Fairbanks want to help an active duty soldier fill his moose tag? I'm on leave till October 9th. I'm not looking for charity. I would like to meet experienced outdoorsmen and make some local acquaintances and friends. I have a truck, atv, gear, rifle, am bow hunting certified, pretty good outdoor knowledge, and hardly any local area knowledge. I also volunteer for the local search and rescue. Feel free to pm me if want to talk about getting together or if you could point me in the direction of a good area, I would appreciate it a lot.
    Thanks, Kyle

Hey guys, I spent about a month in AK this summer. I am from west Texas, something I know most Alaskans scoff at. I am a Hay producer and a carpenter. I make a living from the land and work with my hands everyday. I am in excellent physical condition. currently working on my PPL. I love the land, and I love to hunt. If my lucky stars line up, a move to AK is in my near future plans. I just registered for this forum after seeing how good responses have been. I am definitely coming back after winter and hopefully for good if possible. I am not super wealthy, so i could not afford to pay for guided hunts and try to learn from them. I am not a trophy hunter, I am an outdoorsmen. I want to learn the land of Alaska, different approaches to different hunts, best locations, how to be prepared for different situations. I know that experience is the best way to learn, but in the time being, i would like some instruction and different reading materials that would be helpful until i can make it back. If someone with great experience would like to take me in, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Anybody want to get after some birds?

Thinking about making a bird hunting day out of my unexpected day off tomorrow...I've seen quite a bit of geese still as of late, maybe hunt the palmer area out by Jim Lake? Still planning on rereading regs and quick peek at the google maps, never hunted anything bigger than grouse before.

trip postponed...fractured my hand rebuilding my deck tonight

Wish soemthing like this was in the Bowhunting forum

Default Need Partner P.O.W. Island Black Bear in June 2014

I am seriously considering applying for the nonresident drawing to hunt Prince of Whales Island for Black Bear in Early June 2014. I know this sounds far off but I believe non-residents have to apply this November to get the tag. I would like to find a partner that is seeking a similar self-guided adventure and we could plan and hunt together. Would like to go to a remote area, possibly by air but not opposed to water taxi or using my 16 foot cataraft with motor. I am a die hard bowhunter but have nothing against rifle hunters. I would likely look into passing the baiting class and set up a tree stand on a bait station. We could also use the cataraft (in calm seas) to motor along off shore a ways to locate bears on the beaches, then go ashore and sneak back to them on foot.

I have done many remote self-guided Alaska hunts for deer and caribou, although I've only been to Prince of Whales once which was on a fishing trip with the family. I have all the equipment necessary including a sat phone and bear fence. Most of my hunts have been on Kodiak so I know what it's like to be rained upon day after day which could be the scenario on P.O.W. I am a 47 year old shop teacher from Woodland, California. I stay fit by running year round. I can't take off work to do a hunt so I'd have to fly up immediately after school lets out in early June. I know that is a bit late and the hides may have rubs by then, but I am in it more for the adventure and experience than the trophy.

I follow all game regulations to the letter of the law and practice fair, ethical hunting and expect the same of my partner. If you are interested in doing a 10 day hunt like this or have any knowledge or helpful suggestions you could share, send me a Private Message.
    Thanks, Brian

I am a big game newbie heading to unit 13 Paxson side 8-12 Nov. I have wheeler. Would like to wheel in then hike in and setup a base camp with tent. Need a battle buddy if anyone interested. If not I will stay at the motel and adjust plan. I hear the bou are getting close enough to Paxson for a daily ATV trip, anyway. I'm new to butchering big game, but not to cold wx camping or hunting. Send me a PM if interested or questions.

Well, a buddy from work wants to stay at the motel. Thanks anyway!

Looking for a partner to call coyotes and foxes starting in Jan or so, hate to buy license and all that for one month of use. I recently moved here from Ky and the cabin fever is killing me...lol I brought a few of my calls with me and I'm excited to get out and try here. Any info would also be appreciated, I'm in the anchorage area. Picking up a new rifle in a few wks only thing i brought with was a 7mag and my shotgun. Intersted in hunting everything i can get a tag for this spring and also love upland bird hunting. Thanks,

If you can't find anybody, you can still go out and call, just leave the rifle at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbuster0006 View Post
    Looking for a partner to call coyotes and foxes starting in Jan or so, hate to buy license and all that for one month of use. I recently moved here from Ky and the cabin fever is killing me...lol I brought a few of my calls with me and I'm excited to get out and try here. Any info would also be appreciated, I'm in the anchorage area. Picking up a new rifle in a few wks only thing i brought with was a 7mag and my shotgun. Intersted in hunting everything i can get a tag for this spring and also love upland bird hunting. Thanks,
    If you are interested in hunting for everything you can get a tag for this spring...just get your hunting license the first of January and you'll be good to go for the year.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If you can't find anybody, you can still go out and call, just leave the rifle at home.
    Why does he need to leave the rifle at home? What he is saying is he is planning on waiting till Jan so he can buy a 2013 hunting license that is good for 12 months instead of buying a 2012 license that only has one month left on it.

No sense in calling in animals without a gun and educating them. Then again I don't call so I could be wrong in this regard.

Looking for a partner to call coyotes and foxes starting in Jan or so, hate to buy license and all that for one month of use. I recently moved here from Ky and the cabin fever is killing me...lol ,
    I read that as, he wants to go calling now, and he want a partner in Jan. Why else would he need a license???

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Why does he need to leave the rifle at home? What he is saying is he is planning on waiting till Jan so he can buy a 2013 hunting license that is good for 12 months instead of buying a 2012 license that only has one month left on it.

No sense in calling in animals without a gun and educating them. Then again I don't call so I could be wrong in this regard.
    I kinda misunderstood his post a little, he wants to do the calling, and someone else gets to do the shooting? Seems like there would be some of your buddies there on base that would be interested. If you are nonresident PCS ( permanent change of station ) I think you can get a special resident rate on your hunting license now, or wait till you are a 'resident military' and you may qualify for a free license, I'm sure you must know this already. There are probably lots of fox & coyotes right in your area JBER, and they had a problem with wolves trying to eat peoples dogs on the one trail/road folks used for hiking...not sure which one it was, but I think it was on base property somewhere.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I kinda misunderstood his post a little, he wants to do the calling, and someone else gets to do the shooting? Seems like there would be some of your buddies there on base that would be interested. If you are nonresident PCS ( permanent change of station ) I think you can get a special resident rate on your hunting license now, or wait till you are a 'resident military' and you may qualify for a free license, I'm sure you must know this already. There are probably lots of fox & coyotes right in your area JBER, and they had a problem with wolves trying to eat peoples dogs on the one trail/road folks used for hiking...not sure which one it was, but I think it was on base property somewhere.
    No free license for active duty military and you can not hunt predators on post and you can not trap on post. But you are correct there are plenty of varmints to chase if you were allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    No free license for active duty military and you can not hunt predators on post and you can not trap on post. But you are correct there are plenty of varmints to chase if you were allowed to.
    I may be wrong about the 'free' license...but you can get a Recreational Permit for hunting fox, coyote & wolf on base property.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast