Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feds Planning a 35lb fish limit at the border.

Default Feds Planning a 35lb fish limit at the border.

I got a story from a friend today that is on his way back home from a summer in his camper in alaska, when he went through the border the Feds gave him a hard time about the 100 lbs or so of processed frozen fish he had and questioned him why he had so much, they wanted all the details of where it came from and told him they are planning on a 35lb limit per person in the future. When he asked them if they had any answers to the declining fisheries they stated that one of the biggest problem was the Asian trawlers in international waters and that there isn't anything they can do about it. Pretty sad news, has anyone else heard about a weight limit for the private transporting of fish?

Do you mean the Alaska/Canada border? Wonder what they will do about people flying in? We never crossed into Canada with our #150 worth. They would have had a fit if they had seen what a couple of the guys from the lodge where we stayed took home to Ohio (300# each).

I just took 63# of halibut, ling and rock fish to Revelstoke, B.C. last week. No problems, no questions, no nothing at the Customs desk in Kelowna.

We had a discussion on this subject a while back.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-annual-limits
    It's too bad it went south and got locked.
    I haven't heard about this 35 lb limit law they are planning but I support it 100%.
    I am guessing it is to prevent this:
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...1&slug=2348553
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I was initially opposed to limits, but now I'd be in favor of it. That article that Kasilofchrisn linked to is very informative. Time to crack down on these fish pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    We had a discussion on this subject a while back.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-annual-limits
    It's too bad it went south and got locked.
    I haven't heard about this 35 lb limit law they are planning but I support it 100%.
    I am guessing it is to prevent this:
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...1&slug=2348553
    Thanks for the link. I've seen the same kind of folks and I suspect this kind of activity is more prevalent than most people believe. But bring is up for discussion and it seems to be poo poo'd, if not shouted down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Im still currently a non-res and I like taking fish home but I wouldnt be opposed to a limit. I do think 35lbs is very low though and if I did not have the opportunity to work here in AK, it would almost certainly make me look at other states/countries to go and get some fish for the winter.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Just to clarify I think most Alaskans do not in any way mind a nonresident taking some fish home with them from their visit.
    How much they take is what is really in question.
    Those taking several hundred pounds or more and doing illegal things with it such as bartering or selling it.
    I also think the border crossing is where the worst culprits would most likely be caught. Those hauling RV loads or trailers loaded with canned or frozen Alaska sport caught fish as the article alludes to.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

This all bull.

First off-what border?

Because there is no such restriction coming into Canada never has been and none is planned.

Secondly if you fly out of Alaska you don't clear US Customs anywhere-why would you on a domestic flight?

I too have met some folks who make you "wonder" if they're up to no good.
    35# doesn't seem like the right number to me though...as legitimate folk paying good money for a charter might average more in just one trip.
    While I wouldn't be against an "export" limit I'd be interested in knowing how they come up with whatever the number should be.

Ive thought about those charters as well.

One good king from Kodiakcombo might be too much even after its filleted.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I too have met some folks who make you "wonder" if they're up to no good.
    35# doesn't seem like the right number to me though...as legitimate folk paying good money for a charter might average more in just one trip.
    While I wouldn't be against an "export" limit I'd be interested in knowing how they come up with whatever the number should be.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ive thought about those charters as well.

One good king from Kodiakcombo might be too much even after its filleted.
    Yeah no crap what if someone catches a 200lb halibut sorry you can only take 35lbs you have to throw the rest away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Yeah no crap what if someone catches a 200lb halibut sorry you can only take 35lbs you have to throw the rest away.
    He asked the Feds that same question and they said you will need to let it go or give it away. Looks like the classic example of a few bad apples ruining things along with the help of proposals that get over exaggerated leading to a lost resource to non residents in the future.

And so goes our growing government restrictions in the united states of politics.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

There are no federal requirements for transporting legal sport caught fish across any state line. There are import rules if taking sport caught fish to the European Union...their rules, not ours. That being said, there must be way more to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    This all bull.

First off-what border?

Because there is no such restriction coming into Canada never has been and none is planned.

Secondly if you fly out of Alaska you don't clear US Customs anywhere-why would you on a domestic flight?
    the border leaving alaska past tok, the Feds stated they were working on getting a 35 lb limit for the future. They had campers and motor homes pulled over and checking for fish so it appears the good part is they are doing their jobs and monitoring and looking for abusers, my friend is retired and has spent the last 3 summers in alaska and said with a 35 lb limit it wouldn't be worth it to come back up. I don't know if the 35 lb limit will happen or not, that is just what he was told by the guys with the guns and bullet proof vests.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    the border leaving alaska past tok, the Feds stated they were working on getting a 35 lb limit for the future. They had campers and motor homes pulled over and checking for fish so it appears the good part is they are doing their jobs and monitoring and looking for abusers, my friend is retired and has spent the last 3 summers in alaska and said with a 35 lb limit it wouldn't be worth it to come back up. I don't know if the 35 lb limit will happen or not, that is just what he was told by the guys with the guns and bullet proof vests.
    Last time I went through there, the border was manned by Canadian authorities, not Feds. Not sure what changed, but again, it's been quite a number of years since I've been through there. I still don't buy the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Last time I went through there, the border was manned by Canadian authorities, not Feds. Not sure what changed, but again, it's been quite a number of years since I've been through there. I still don't buy the story.
    Well I didn't make it up just repeating what he told me, he said it was harder getting out of alaska by our guys then coming up through the Canadian border from the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Well I didn't make it up just repeating what he told me, he said it was harder getting out of alaska by our guys then getting through canada
    Not saying you made anything up, just saying I don't by it. If a federal employee did in fact say this, he did it on his own. There are no federal requirements for transporting sport caught fish across state lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Not saying you made anything up, just saying I don't by it. If a federal employee did in fact say this, he did it on his own. There are no federal requirements for transporting sport caught fish across state lines.
    I didn't say there were at this time, he was just told they are working on that for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast