Thread: My Alaskan Nightmare...

Default My Alaskan Nightmare...

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry to say that I feel the need to alert others to a situation regarding ######### (our former guide) skipping out on his clients henceforth.

I had booked ############ of ######### Fly Fishing early this year to fish for 4 days on the Kenai from September 17-20th and had prepaid him in advance as I have in the past without incidence. *Having fished with #### successfully every year since 2008.

Unfortunately, I’ve come to learn today through various sources, including my Alaskan fishing buddy Norcal Bob of this Board (who was set to float with #### this Sunday the 9th, but is even more screwed than I at this point) that #### flew the coup and is no longer residing in Alaska. In addition to leaving clients stranded this week, he threw Bob under the bus (who’s flying in Saturday), and me scrambling to salvage my days if possible. He’s absconded with everyone’s money. I am out upwards of $2000, others more.

After looking at the scenario I can say that I am less angry that ##### walked away with my $2000, as money can be replaced, but I am totally stressed that I now have/had to scramble to salvage the week I had planned. (Am bringing two Alaska virgins to the Kenai Peninsula and wanted to show them the great times I have had.) Adding to this stress is the knowledge that if I had known and had time to plan for such a contingency I might have had an opportunity to try and book someone else before the peak of the season when all the guides are fully booked. I have been fishing with #### for over 5 years, who despite being somewhat flaky at times was once a great fishermen/ and hardworking guide. I am saddened by the fact that he probably needs some serious help (rumors suggest some dark demons) and am even more deeply saddened that our friendship has completely ended at this point.

On the brighter side, Mossy’s fly shop, D-Ray, and Dave Wilson all get my major thanks for working/assisting Bob and myself in looking to secure a few guided days during our weeks to salvage what remains of our trips. Please support these hardworking guides and fly shop. Every time I have seen them on the water they have shown their professional qualities. Mossy’s gets my special thanks for also hooking us up with John Kluck on the Naknek in 2010. I would recommend John highly to anyone thinking of fishing the Naknek with an independent.

Hopefully if others see this in time and were in the same boat as us, they may have the opportunity to fix whatever remains of their vacations/plans. I am saddened to say that I have put upwards of 10 clients in touch with #### over the years, who will also be disappointed to learn of his sudden departure.

If anyone has advice on DIY for the upper would appreciate that. Thinking about renting a boat and rowing/guiding my friends there, but need to know who does Shuttles from Jims back to Sportsman's. We will be staying in an RV, so we might be able to tow. Any specific advice on logjams to avoid? Its been a few years since I've fished in there in the braids.

Thanks,
    -Tristan
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-06-2012 at 21:57. Reason: Negative info not allowed

Wild mans does shuttles, just stop in the store before you head out. As far as log jams and such I'm not too sure, I've Been on other water the last couple weeks... Keep positive though, even without a boat you will catch a ton of fish and have a great time. Maybe try the Russian, it's been awesome lately and the friends from out of town should enjoy the bears! And I am terribly sorry to hear what happened, I hear horror stories like this every year or two and it really saddens me, if you want some more info (guides, tackle, etc) feel free to PM

Tristan,
    I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. There used to be a forum sponsor that rented rafts in the Kenai area. It wasn't Blue Moose although I am sure they provide a great service they just arn't in the area you have mentioned fishing. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the place. "Dan at the Rock" a forum regular has used them in the past and always had good things to say about them. Good luck and I hope you can salvage at least part of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    Tristan,
    I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. There used to be a forum sponsor that rented rafts in the Kenai area. It wasn't Blue Moose although I am sure they provide a great service they just arn't in the area you have mentioned fishing. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the place. "Dan at the Rock" a forum regular has used them in the past and always had good things to say about them. Good luck and I hope you can salvage at least part of your trip.
    You have a couple of options for rentals. Alaska Raft & Kayak here in Anchorage has rentals. you can find their info as a sponsor on the rafting forum. The other option is Alaska Canoe & Campground in Sterling. (907)262-2331 They have packages as well. Both are reputable vendors. As far as shuttles go, as mentioned, Wildman's has a service and there is another company offering shuttles for the upper this year also. Good luck!

Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground rents raft drift boat and does shuttles. One stop shop so to speak. Aside from that, he is the finest fellow you will meet in AK. Salt of the earth. Google his business and give him a call. He salvaged my trip to the Upper Kenai last year.

Dan

Yepper Max is good people at Alaska Canoe give him a shout eh! Mark also does a great job at AR&K either way you would be taken care of.

Sorry to also hear about your trip plans :-(

BMR

Thanks for everyone's help!

Max's number 907-262-2331

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692