Thread: Proof of sex for moose

Default Proof of sex for moose

I'm heading out tomorrow to Tok for my moose hunt with 40 mile air. Sitting here in the hotel going over the regs to make sure I didn't miss anything and had a question regarding leaving proof of sex naturally attached to rear quarter until butchering or processed for storage. How do you guys do this? The organ has to stay attached until I drop it off the meat at delta meats?
    thanks in advance

The first thing I do when skinning a moose or caribou is to tie off the penis and remove the skin leaving the penis attached to the ham. The second thing I do is to cut around the anus and tie it off with string. The reason I do this is because this area can be very nasty and the possibility of contaminations is high. After I have finished working on the back end I wash my knife and hands or put on new gloves. I have also found if I start skinning a leg first, I will be tired and do a poor job when it comes to the butt end.

I don't do anything fancy with twine but will say you just have to man up, grab the junk, skin it carefully and leave the shaft attached to one ham. I turn it in to my butcher that way and wouldn't be surprised at all if it is ground up in one of these packages of brats in the freezer... A female is a bit more of an "intimate" experience and takes quite a bit more care IMHO but the idea is the same.

When you skin out that first hindquarter, simply skin out the penis tube and sever it at both ends, leaving about a 4-5" section attached to the hindquarter. You don't need to leave anything with hair attached! And be sure to let your hunting partners know what it is; some over-zealous hunters looking to trim excess weight off the quarter may mistake the tube for a piece of fat and cut it off.

The reason I leave this piece attached to the first quarter I pull is because it's easiest to remember when I'm not so tired, and we skin that area for the first time. You don't need to leave a piece of this on each hindquarter, just on one of them.

I do this with all my meat animals any time we are restricted to a single sex. I have confirmed the validity of this method with ADF&G and with the Troopers.

Additional meat care information can be found on our meat care pages AT THIS LINK.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    When you skin out that first hindquarter, simply skin out the penis tube and sever it at both ends, leaving about a 4-5" section attached to the hindquarter. You don't need to leave anything with hair attached! And be sure to let your hunting partners know what it is; some over-zealous hunters looking to trim excess weight off the quarter may mistake the tube for a piece of fat and cut it off.

The reason I leave this piece attached to the first quarter I pull is because it's easiest to remember when I'm not so tired, and we skin that area for the first time. You don't need to leave a piece of this on each hindquarter, just on one of

-Mike
    +1 what he said.... Best of luck you should have a great hunt hope you get a big one....

Mike,
    Do you have a method of leaving the vaginal orifice on the meat of a cow without leaving any hair? I have done half a dozen or so now both bou and moose and can't fathom a way.

Sorry about the negative nellie. That ***** attached. You will get it on your first try,oh hell, bring it in your pocket if you mess up.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-16-2012 at 15:19. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    Sorry about the negative nellie. That ***** attached. You will get it on your first try,oh hell, bring it in your pocket if you mess up.
    Tundra,

There have been issues with this, with some hunters who have been told incorrect information. When this first became a requirement, some hunters were leaving the entire sex organs, hair and all, attached to one quarter. And bringing it out "in your pocket" isn't an option as the regs require that it is left "naturally attached to the meat". Since it is only attached to the meat loosely by fascia, it's easy to make a mistake if you don't know what you're doing. So it's certainly an appropriate question.

LuJon, I don't have an answer to your question as I have not dealt with that one. If it was me, I would follow the letter of the law by leaving the whole tube, including hair. I can't see any other way to meet that requirement. At least with a cow it's not as much of a scent contamination issue as it is with bulls.

-Mike
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-16-2012 at 15:20. Reason: referenced edited post
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Skin out the udder and split it so there is evidence of "milk sack" on both hindquarters. If possible, do not leave evidence (proof) of other female organs that may contaminate the meat.

I got checked on the cow I took south of Delta, and the Officer was satisified with the skinned udder on both hindquarters.

If possible I would leave proof on both hindquarters, don't leave yourself open to any questions if the transport company can only fly a limited amount of weight at a time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Tundra,

There have been issues with this, with some hunters who have been told incorrect information. When this first became a requirement, some hunters were leaving the entire sex organs, hair and all, attached to one quarter. And bringing it out "in your pocket" isn't an option as the regs require that it is left "naturally attached to the meat". Since it is only attached to the meat loosely by fascia, it's easy to make a mistake if you don't know what you're doing. So it's certainly an appropriate question.

LuJon, I don't have an answer to your question as I have not dealt with that one. If it was me, I would follow the letter of the law by leaving the whole tube, including hair. I can't see any other way to meet that requirement. At least with a cow it's not as much of a scent contamination issue as it is with bulls.

-Mike
    Fair enough but if don't know your way around an animal enough to ask that, and no offense,thats the least of your worries.

And further more, as you stated, if you make a mistake, the only logical recourse would be to pack it out. I guess thats a perfectly acceptable option.
    If we all lived or died by the letter of the law, I'm so not picking a fight, but your response confuses me. To the OP,theres plenty of sex to leave,
    just pay a little attention. Its quite obvious.

And further more, as you stated, if you make a mistake, the only logical recourse would be to pack it out. I guess thats a perfectly acceptable option.
    If we all lived or died by the letter of the law, I'm so not picking a fight, but your response confuses me. To the OP,theres plenty of sex to leave,
    just pay a little attention. Its quite obvious.
    Simple to some, not so much for others. The regs say it must remain "naturally attached" to one hindquarter. So carrying it in your pocket isn't going to work. As to the confusion involved, I remember when this regulation first started. I was in a well-known and respected meat processor's place during the fall season and saw three moose hanging on meat hooks (well, not the entire animal of course, it was the quarters and such). All three had the entire sex organs, hair and all, attached to the hindquarter. I asked the owner what the deal was (I knew about the regulation and was trying to see if ADF&G had given him information I did not have). He told me that ADF&G was now requiring that the entire organ was left on the meat. I told him that I had called the Department and had received clarification that you only needed a small portion (skinned out) attached to one quarter. So even experienced meat cutters with close to 50 years on this can make mistakes.

In the subsequent years we have preached this message many times and I think we are now in a situation where it is common knowledge to most of us. But for the new hunters (or those new to Alaska), they're just like we were in the beginning.

I think these discussions are a great thing, because it helps us get the word out.

And for those who are new to all of this, you might take a look through our MEAT CARE PAGES for more details on this and related issues. Proper meat care in field conditions is not difficult, but it does require a conscious effort and attention to the basics.

Best regards,

-Mike

I believe the reg is, "proof of sex must be naturally attached". I also believe, that for a male animal, proof of sex could be one testicle. You do not have to leave the penis attached.
    The reg also only applies to meat still in the field. Once the meat is out of the field it will soon be processed for consumption and reproductive organs are not required to be left attached.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Depends on where you are hunting. If you are hunting a permit that is an antlerless permit and you can shoot claves you are not required to leave the proof of sex attached. Proof of sex is only required in a sex specific hunt, since a calf can be either male of female it is not required to be left attached. I had a friend catch a trooper with this last week after he got wrote a ticket, the trooper called him back and told him to rip up the ticket.

Fair enough but if don't know your way around an animal enough to ask that, and no offense,thats the least of your worries.
    usually take the whole thang out and grind it in with the burger

Default Proof of sex for moose

I dropped a hind quarter of a small "meat bull" caribou A buddy gave me off at the butcher to get made into burger and wieners. Driving away it occurred to me that I had left the penis attached to the meat..... Wieners indeed...

Just leave testicles attached. If you don't want to skin things out just wrap em up with a plastic bag.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's just a testicle, there's really no reason to wrap it up.