Thread: Buffalo bore 30-30 loads

Default Buffalo bore 30-30 loads

I just noticed that buffalo bore has a couple of 30-30 loads on their site... Does anyone have any experience with either of them?
    the heavy 190gr load looks pretty interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by proffett View Post
    I just noticed that buffalo bore has a couple of 30-30 loads on their site... Does anyone have any experience with either of them?
    the heavy 190gr load looks pretty interesting...
    I must state up front that I haven't used these specific .30-30 loads. Now, what I have used is factory loaded .303 Savage with 190's on an Idaho mule deer, and it made a dead animal real quick. Seems like the fellers who used to belong to the "Hot Stove League" thought highly of the penetration and "killing power" of the heavy .30 caliber bullets at around 2000 fps. Again, I haven't used the Buffalo Bore ammunition, my only experience with bullets in that weight range and velocity was favorable in another cartridge and rifle.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would have no interest in the lead-free loads, but the heavy load IS "interesting".

They are certainy SPENDY, and I dunno if they are that much better than a 170 grain Remington FLs 170 grain Core-Lokts.

I'm a 30-30 man, and I can see ONE legitimate use for them. That would be "BEAR DEFENSE".

The heavier bullet MIGHT give you an edge over standard loads as regards penetration.

If they shoot your sights, they'd be cheaper than buying a 30-06, or beeger gun.

I loaded some 190 grain Hard Cast bullets, in 30-30, but the Gas Checks hadda be down past the necks to meet OAL length requirements. They would work, but I didn't like that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

54 dollars for a box of 20. Never thought I'd see the day were a box of 30-30 would cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    54 dollars for a box of 20. Never thought I'd see the day were a box of 30-30 would cost that much.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=66

It's $59.76

You could get 3 boxes for less than $180.00 .

I spoke too soon. For the price of 5 or 6 boxes, you could get a 30-06.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I think the last box of Federal 30-30 ammo I broke out for the boy to shoot had $9.00 on the price tag. $60 for 30-30...just wow, of course the Hawk bullets probably costs $1.50 a piece.

Will it make enough difference in the mild mannered .30WCF to justify the cost? Who knows but the 30-30 has a lot of class as is and any attempt to make it more versatile is a good thing in my opinion. Of course, when people want a better 30-30 they generally want a .35Rem or .375Win and just don't know it yet.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think the last box of Federal 30-30 ammo I broke out for the boy to shoot had $9.00 on the price tag. $60 for 30-30...just wow, of course the Hawk bullets probably costs $1.50 a piece.

Will it make enough difference in the mild mannered .30WCF to justify the cost? Who knows but the 30-30 has a lot of class as is and any attempt to make it more versatile is a good thing in my opinion. Of course, when people want a better 30-30 they generally want a .35Rem or .375Win and just don't know it yet.
    Okay, I found the 190 grain FP bullets on Hawk's website. $37.50 for 50, (75 cents each)

Hornady 170 grains are $23.49 for 100, (23 cents each)

I hate math. My head hurts.

Smitty of the North

There's bound to Beee, some Dawgies in that Numberrr,,,, when the Saints go Marchin In.
    You can't out-give God.

Start to reload and make whatever you want. Lee single stage set up will do it just fine.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Start to reload and make whatever you want. Lee single stage set up will do it just fine.
    Yes as long as you get one of their O type presses NOT their cheap little C press, I couldnt tell ya how many of these Ive killed sizing brass . . . I even snapped one sizing 38s. Lee replaces them free but what a pain to send it back over and over. Mine has been a dedicated de-priming station for years now, works great as long as I dont try to size anything with it.

Get one like this:
    http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-...ger-press.html

Not one of these:
    http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A lee reloading kit and some 180 grain hornady round nosed 30 caliber......you'd have one heck of a 30-30 load. flatten the tips a bit with a file if you'd like. Don't worry about expansion......it'll expand.

Or, for a measly $200, you could get your rifle rebored to a 35/30-30 and shoot 220 grain speer flat points, or get it rebored to 375 Win and shoot 255 grain barnes originals. You'll push faster powders and get similar velocity but with bigger bullets.

[QUOTE=ADfields;1175226]Yes as long as you get one of their O type presses NOT their cheap little C press, I couldnt tell ya how many of these Ive killed sizing brass . . . I even snapped one sizing 38s. Lee replaces them free but what a pain to send it back over and over. QUOTE]

You're probably right Andy. I resize on an RCBS Big Max on anything that needs to be full length resized and use the Lee "C" for bullet seating on stray ammo or when working up loads. I have had good luck with the Lee 4 hole turret for rifle.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    You're probably right Andy. I resize on an RCBS Big Max on anything that needs to be full length resized and use the Lee "C" for bullet seating on stray ammo or when working up loads. I have had good luck with the Lee 4 hole turret for rifle.
    Dont get me wrong, I aint bashing Lee, I like Lee and they stand behind everything I go all gorilla on just great but they do have some stuff that aint so hot to watch out for.

Their cheap C presses are sure handy little things for a lot of jobs, just can't take the abuse of resizing for very long. I use mine for knocking out primers almost exclusively but just the other day used it to seat some long bullets. (Ya know VLDs on 7mm RUM is too long for a Hornady prograsave, they hit the side of the die as it rotates the long critters around to the seating die . . . this messes up everything and brakes off the little pawl that does the rotating making for a far less enjoyable time at the bench! <big sigh>)

Lees turret presses are great little gadgets and a heck of a value. Personally I think the Lee turret press complete kit is about the best value going for someone just starting into reloading. You even get an press activated powder measure in there and its only $104! Add some dies and your under way for about $150.
    https://fsreloading.com/lee-deluxe-4-hole-turret-press-kit-90928.html?utm_source=google_merchant_center&utm_m edium=datafeed&utm_content=CSE&utm_campaign=google _merchant_center
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona