Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting assistance

Default Hunting assistance

Good Evening Everyone,
    I am new to Alaska, I got assigned to JBER in March of this year. I am interested in hunting for moose, caribou, and bear. I'm trying to navigate the hunting regs, so far only a few questions. If anyone needs a hunting partner/helper to show me the ropes that would be greatly appreciated. My leave is form 20 Sep 12 to 06 Oct 12. My cell # is 907-315-7949. email is wambach_joseph@msn.com. I live in Wasilla, so hopefully it won't get to expensive, please remember I'm in the service.
    Thank You
    Joe W.

Welcome to the forum and GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and GOOD LUCK !!
    Thanx, I look forward to seeing all posts.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    I live in Wasilla, so hopefully it won't get to expensive, please remember I'm in the service.
    Thank You
    Joe W.
    Joe I totally do not understand this last sentence of yours. Are you trying to say that since you live in Wasilla you are poor? And that since you are in the military people should take pity on you?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Joe I totally do not understand this last sentence of yours. Are you trying to say that since you live in Wasilla you are poor? And that since you are in the military people should take pity on you?
    I was thinking the same thing bronco...

Also if you got there in March, your just now looking to go hunting??

They're circling ur wagon Joe, better think up some good comebacks

I smelled blood... only reason I came in here

ohh wait branco is here... that explains everything

I live in Los Anchorage I envy your living in wasilla at least there they limit the amount of tundrawookies allowed into their bars.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    I envy your living in wasilla at least there they limit the amount of tundrawookies allowed into their bars.
    Have you been in those bars? Not sure there is a limit on tundrawookies that go through the doors anywhere in Alaska. I have heard that the "Last Frontier" on Muldoon is a good place to stop in at.

No, no pity. Just that you take into consideration the expense of hunting. I gave my location so people would know where I'm located.

No, no pity. Just that you take into consideration the expense of hunting. I gave my location so people would know where I'm located.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but everything in Alaska is expensive, including the hunting. The cheapest hunting by far is small game which there is a good amount of and a good way to get started in Alaska. This will get you out in the field observing other wildlife and having a good time.

You have some decent to excellent bird hunting(ptarmigan and grouse) in Hatchers Pass and along the Glennallen Highway between Palmer-Eureka. There is also some good rabbit(snowshoe hare) hunting in those same areas as well as out along the Knik river. Plus you just might get the drop on a fox, coyote, or wolf while you are out there looking for birds and rabbits.

If you are into duck hunting there are plenty of opportunities right there in Wasilla/Palmer area.

greyhound you are closer than us in Los Anchorage to prime quality hunting areas just FYI jump on the hwy heading towards fairbanks lots of great areas less than a hour from your house

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Yeah man they pay us extra for it being expensive up here, its called COLA, look in the left column of your LES under entitlements.

Aside from that you live in Wasilla....you want to trade mortgages??

Buying chicken and beef at the grocery store is a cheaper option, so maybe thats a better route for you if your balking at the expense of it now and have not even made it out into the field yet.

Jeez, I wuz buying coke zero with COLA.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I didn't consider that, but it sounds like a good alternative.
    Thank You

Jeez, I wuz buying coke zero with COLA.
    Do they even make that anymore?? I would suggest Pepsi as the better option..

Forum tip, if you click on 'reply with quote' it will show exactly what post you were replying to.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but everything in Alaska is expensive, including the hunting. The cheapest hunting by far is small game which there is a good amount of and a good way to get started in Alaska. This will get you out in the field observing other wildlife and having a good time.
    Even the milf hunting and partaking in the infamous "Alaska Hogging Association" tends to get expensive... I suggest you get drunk before you head out on either of those two adventures

If you want to go the cheapest route in hunting Alaska be sure to mentally prepair yourself for packing some miles on your PTC's (personal troop carriers .. ie boots) you can get into some very very good hunting locally (around 30-1hr drive away) you just have to be ready to put forth the effort to take a quality animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Do they even make that anymore?? I would suggest Pepsi as the better option..

Forum tip, if you click on 'reply with quote' it will show exactly what post you were replying to.
    Yep, they make it, thanks for the tip.

Good Evening Everyone,
    I am new to Alaska, I got assigned to JBER in March of this year. I am interested in hunting for moose, caribou, and bear. I'm trying to navigate the hunting regs, so far only a few questions. If anyone needs a hunting partner/helper to show me the ropes that would be greatly appreciated. My leave is form 20 Sep 12 to 06 Oct 12. My cell # is 907-315-7949. email is wambach_joseph@msn.com. I live in Wasilla, so hopefully it won't get to expensive, please remember I'm in the service.
    Thank You
    Joe W.
    Just want to let you know that if you want to hunt moose, the bulls are about to head into the rut. That being said, if you start to drive up north and happen to see what looks like a "moosie" spot. There is a good chance you could get out and call a bull into you. You may want to look up some moose calling videos online and give it a try. Believe me, it works if there is a bull in the area. And if you drive up north, there could be a legal bull darn near anywhere. Something to think about anyway.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

After a year residence you can get on the gravytrain and put in for the Nelchina caribou hunt. The expense is mainly gas and you can join thousands of other Alaskans driving the Denali glassing for caribou. It's cheap and productive.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast