Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pistol caliber good for ....... moose attack?

Default What pistol caliber good for ....... moose attack?

Tongue in cheek post for the perennial pistol for bear protection threads.

This guy had a camera, he didn't say what caliber. Luckily he didn't get hurt. If you watch the video through, you can see the little bull does look unsteady on its feet:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/182443166...tcmp=obnetwork

My personal favorite is the Striker 12 gauge shotgun with its 12 round drum magazine loaded with 00 buck. This will put the hurting on anything in no time. Plus I feel pretty manly carrying it around with my tactical 2 point sling while fishing the Russian river.

To complete this ensemble you need to be fully decked out in 5.11 Tactical clothing.

I had a moose attacking my dog in the kennel and charge me last winter. I had my .45 with me and a double tap was all it took. Troopers came and filed a report
    Felt kinda guilty afterward.

did ya see that hand cannon on Pawn Stars-that's what you need
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Heck didn't one of the mushers kill one with a axe one year? I thing getting all primitive on them is the way to go, carry a big axe around and no one asks questions
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I had a moose attacking my dog in the kennel and charge me last winter. I had my .45 with me and a double tap was all it took. Troopers came and filed a report
    Felt kinda guilty afterward.
    DLP Moose that's awesome I'd a felt kinda guilty too! Oh those pesky moose

All joking aside, a big pissed off moose scares the crap out of me.

I know a guy who lives off way off the road system and he kills at least one moose a year on the trail to his cabin as the moose charges him and he has to defend himself. He carries a 40 cal pistol and says it works fine.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I guess I don't spend much time worrying about a moose attack, but I'm pretty sure that would change if I lived in the midst of them. Big ungulates are just predictable enough to provide a false sense of security, but there is plenty of potential for them to become aggressive and hurt people. In the video: The speed and reaction time of that bull is just breathtaking. With no defense, he becomes a crippler or killer. This may be a tongue-in-cheek thread........but it's a good reminder of what can happen when we deal with animals which outweigh us by a factor of 5 or more.

Last September this guy walked right up to me and passed by at 5 yards. I was rolling video the entire time, but was frankly uncomfortable. I had zero cover near me...sitting on a hummock in the open. I'll rethink that behavior in the future!

'11moose from video 023.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    My personal favorite is the Striker 12 gauge shotgun with its 12 round drum magazine loaded with 00 buck. This will put the hurting on anything in no time. Plus I feel pretty manly carrying it around with my tactical 2 point sling while fishing the Russian river.

To complete this ensemble you need to be fully decked out in 5.11 Tactical clothing.
    Do you need the 5.11 drawers too? Or would going commando suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Do you need the 5.11 drawers too? Or would going commando suffice?
    Either commando or under armour drawers are required.

Hey . . . . . are you guys just being silly ???

moose injure more people per year then brown bear and black bear attacks combined http://animals.howstuffworks.com/ani...rous-moose.htm I don't think thats based on car inicidents, I think most people see a moose and think "lets see how close we can get to it" while those same people see a bear and think " get my gun, if that thing sees me It's going to kill me!" people need to give any wild animal that is larger than a Dog its space.

On second thought I think a broad sword or battle axe will be much more effective against a charging moose! One swing and good bye head, then I have no reason to worry about a moose stomping me to jelly.

Yep much better than "peace through superior firepower".

Plus everyone loves a good beheading or hanging.

On second thought I think a broad sword or battle axe will be much more effective against a charging moose! One swing and good bye head, then I have no reason to worry about a moose stomping me to jelly.

Yep much better than "peace through superior firepower".

Plus everyone loves a good beheading or hanging.
    You know Bronco, Im glad you brought this up, I just returned from chow and was pondering this exact quandary while eating a slice of cheesecake for dessert and washing it down with some delicious sweet tea.

However I was thinking more along the lines of a lance, with or without a trusty steed would have to be answered though....your thoughts??

Someone killed an aggressive moose with axe a bunch of years ago during a Yukon Quest. I think it was Charlie Boulding.

You know Bronco, Im glad you brought this up, I just returned from chow and was pondering this exact quandary while eating a slice of cheesecake for dessert and washing it down with some delicious sweet tea.

However I was thinking more along the lines of a lance, with or without a trusty steed would have to be answered though....your thoughts??
    Well it sounds like you had an enlightening dinner that brought some fresh ideas to the table of discussion. I gave your lance idea some thought and don't see a need for the trusty steed. We could just go about it the same way Native Alaskans did back in the day. You take the hilt of the lance and stick it in the ground and place your foot on it and let the charging moose impale itself on the lance tip. Walla you have a skewered moose. Brilliant I think.

Well it sounds like you had an enlightening dinner that brought some fresh ideas to the table of discussion. I gave your lance idea some thought and don't see a need for the trusty steed. We could just go about it the same way Native Alaskans did back in the day. You take the hilt of the lance and stick it in the ground and place your foot on it and let the charging moose impale itself on the lance tip. Walla you have a skewered moose. Brilliant I think.
    Ah yes like in the scene from Braveheart where theyre getting charged by limeys on horseback!
    Yes skewered moose, then all we would have to do is attach some kind of handle to the hilt of the lance so we can turn it while roasting it over a fire. Very Brilliant.

Ah yes like in the scene from Braveheart where theyre getting charged by limeys on horseback!
    See you are all over it!

The post is tongue in cheek, just because the posts about bears never stop. I certainly don't underestimate the problems moose pose. I friend DLPd a moose after it commenced stomping his dogs. And looking at the video it really shows how fast and dangerous a moose can be - even one with a potential disease.

If you youtube moose charge/attacks there is one of a guy bow hunting a pretty huge bull. At less than 10 yards the thing charges - lightning fast. I'll see if I can find it.

I think Susan Butcher axed one during the Iditarod years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast