Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier looking for any helpful information

Default Soldier looking for any helpful information

Hello

I just got stationed up here in Alaska at Fort Richardson. I am an avid outdoorsman, I love hunting, fishing, camping or anything that involves being outside. I have only been here about a month and I am so confused where to go and do any of it. I made it out salmon fishing once in mid Aug. I am not sure if I was doing it right or not but didn't get a bite. I would love to be able to get out this hunting season but as of right now it is not looking good since I have no idea where to go. If anyone on this forum would be willing to share some helpful information, or willing to help a Soldier out it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi man. Cant help you with hunting but the most useful thing I did before visiting AK for the first time was to read through a few fishing books.

I found this forum to be a lot more useful afterwards because I had a basic idea about where the rivers were, and the timing of the runs.

Right now I think a lot of people are targeting char and trout but most places are not producing silvers like in previous years.

good luck.

They sell the books here on the forum:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ro1ll66re6bme7

These were a couple of my favorites:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...&products_id=3

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=75
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I know what you are talking about, one of the problems I am having even after talking to some people or looking at the fishing reports at the Sportsmans Warehouse they give names of rivers and lakes and I have no idea where they are.

I did try the silver salmon once in mid august but no luck, I would love to get out and try my luck with some trout and char. I have never caught a char before. The only type of trout I have caught were rainbows in Idaho and upstate New York. I did hook one nice brown trout in New York when I was steelhead fishing.

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Its overwhelming at first seeing russian river, russian lake, upper kenai, skilak, bings, hope, resurrection bay, valley streams, centennial park etc etc etc.
    There isnt really a crash course to learn these places, but the closest thing would probably be one of those books above, or hooking up with someone who really knows these places. But even then, I think the book is more efficient.

what is it you want to accomplish? Do you want to just go out and catch anything, or are you after a specific fish?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

First,

Thanks for your service!

Second,

like already said...I would pick up a highway angler, great reference I still use all the time.

I would take you myself If I was closer to you. As far as catching a char goes, which kind of char are you after dollies, lake trout, or maybe arctic char?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I am not picky, I don't care what it is I just love to catch fish. 90% of the time I will release them. Everyonce in a while I will keep some for the frying pan but mostly I just love to catch fish. There are very few types of fish in Alaska that I have caught before so any of them would be good.

Even though I have trout fished before it is still very different to me. I am from the south, and just relocated here from TX so it is a huge difference. My favorite type of fishing in the south is catching catfish.

If you need a starting place talk to outdoor rec on richardson, they rent all kind of gear for just about any type of fishing you can dream of up here, and can give you some directions and ideas of places right on base....<otter lake > I'm about to leave town for a couple weeks but when I get back we can hook up and go exploring on the anchorage lakes....

Quote Originally Posted by Clunkleon View Post
    If you need a starting place talk to outdoor rec on richardson, they rent all kind of gear for just about any type of fishing you can dream of up here, and can give you some directions and ideas of places right on base....<otter lake > I'm about to leave town for a couple weeks but when I get back we can hook up and go exploring on the anchorage lakes....
    I wanted to check out otter lake, because one guy said it had some good fishing, but then a few soldiers I talked to said it wasn't very good other than for some little bity trout. I will deffinitly call the outdoor rec people and see what they have to say. I would love to hook up and explore these lakes with someone who knows the area. Like I said before I am not pickey I just like to catch fish. I know there are a lot of fishing up here that I have never done before.

Otter lake is pretty much worthless...clunie lake is pretty easy to catch bows from the bank...i grab krickets from petco they seem to work pretty good with a float simple an easy for my son to catch a few...not sure bout fishing the lakes when its thawed out but sand, clunie, marion, matanuska are pretty decent in the hard water season.

Hi, awhx4, thanks for your service to our country.
    Buy the "ALASKA GAZETTE' I think is what it's called. Walmart or Sportman's will carry it. It will be like a well worn book in no time. If you have wheels and a day off hurry down to Cooper Landing. It's about 90 miles south of Anchorage. There you can catch pink Salmon NOW. Use spinners like Mepps #4-5 or Vibrax again the larger size or Pixie spoons. You can also catch Trout, Rainbows and Dolly Varden. Be sure to read the fishing regulations carefully because each area has it's own rules. Good luck,welcome to the Greatland and to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Otter lake is pretty much worthless...clunie lake is pretty easy to catch bows from the bank...i grab krickets from petco they seem to work pretty good with a float simple an easy for my son to catch a few...not sure bout fishing the lakes when its thawed out but sand, clunie, marion, matanuska are pretty decent in the hard water season.
    That is good to know, I like icefishing. I did some when I was stationed at Fort Drum, NY and loved it. I just wish now I would not have gotten rid of all my gear when I got stationed in TX. Were is Clunie lake and what are bows.

Bows are rainbow trout, they get fairly big up here. Again outdoor rec rents all the icefishing gear as a package for $45 a night, its a really good deal. I'm heading out to sand lake tomorrow its best either on the ice or from a boat but has some decent spots you can walk into, jewel has some nice trout and an awesome walk in area right off the park on 88th or from the pier at dimond.

Quote Originally Posted by awhx4 View Post
    That is good to know, I like icefishing. I did some when I was stationed at Fort Drum, NY and loved it. I just wish now I would not have gotten rid of all my gear when I got stationed in TX. Were is Clunie lake and what are bows.
    Clunie lake is on post bout 8 miles past the where u turn left to go to otter...by bows i was referring to rainbows. There is char in clunie but i havnt caught anything more than 12".

awhx4,

Being military myself, I would start by talking to the guys in your unit. Some of them are hunters and fishers. I would definitely read and know the regs. They are very different in various places and change periodically with emergency orders. You can find them online. Some of the places local for you to fish for future reference would be Ship Creek in Anchorage (lots of people in town), Bird Creek down Turnagain Arm (Lots of bears in the area), Russian River down on the Penninsula (Combat Fishing), Dipnetting the Kenai River (Tons of People), Silver fishing in Seward, Deep sea fishing for Halibut and Lingcod in Homer, Jim's Creek up in the Valley, Little Susitna when it is open.
    As for hunting, you have some options right now. You could get an over the counter tag for Caribou and Black Bear and make an adventure of it. Bears are everywhere, just know what, when and where you can shoot them. Caribou are migratory animals, so they are always on the move. Everyone goes up the Haul Road. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE REGS. You have to be 5 miles off of the road to hunt with rifle. inside the 5 mile corridor you can hunt with bow if you have the certification.
    Hope this gives you some information. Some of the information I shared is for next season as well, as some of the fishing has come and gone in certain areas. Make sure to read the regs, ask guys around the unit, and check the forum. Tons of information here, you just have to sort through it. You should know, asking for a specific area will net few results on here. I learned the hard way. Guys will give general info on an area, but like to keep "Honey Holes" private. Not all, but some. Best of luck!

Well we went up out to Clunie lake today, I got off of duty this morning took a couple hour nap, and we decieded to rent a canoe fro the ODR center. We fished out there at Clunie lake for about 3 1/2 hours from 1500-1830, we didn't catch any big rainbows but we caught close to 50 ranging from 6-10 inches. I have a plan for this weekend after talking to the guy at the ODR center. I also picked up the highway angler the other day. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I have been researching the hunting regs pretty heavy.

Thanks for all the help...

Quote Originally Posted by awhx4 View Post
    Well we went up out to Clunie lake today, I got off of duty this morning took a couple hour nap, and we decieded to rent a canoe fro the ODR center. We fished out there at Clunie lake for about 3 1/2 hours from 1500-1830, we didn't catch any big rainbows but we caught close to 50 ranging from 6-10 inches. I have a plan for this weekend after talking to the guy at the ODR center. I also picked up the highway angler the other day. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I have been researching the hunting regs pretty heavy.

Thanks for all the help...
    Good that u caught some...no size cause the fish dont have time to mature...couple years of throwing back 12"+ would help all the lakes around anchorage. Not like they aint salmon to keep the freezer full.

Hey man I'm a vet that was stationed up here and just moved back. I'm quite experienced with the area but something that would take forever to discus online. Call me sometime maybe we could hook up and chat. My name is Jason 209-625-5650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

I have a feeling that will calling him will get you good info! thanks to both or your service. Some options right now are as someone said go down to the Kenai and fish, pinks (use any lure really), silvers ( think roe under a bobber, or spoons (pixies) or spinners (vibrax). the trout fishing is getting really good on the kenai now. I'd go upper river and fish beads on a fly rod with a sinking leader right now. Or fish the russian (one of the BEST times of year to fish it, be careful of bears). That is off the kenai 2 hours from anchorage.

Anchor river (3-4 hours south of anchorage) is a fun place to fish for steelhead and that will be going on for a while.

As you have already discovered there a million options! PM me if you'd want more info. One thing for everyone is...........that sportsmens fishing info sign is totally useless. You are better off reading the Anchorage Daily news fishing report. I'd say use this page or alaska outdoors journal.
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I have a feeling that will calling him will get you good info! thanks to both or your service. Some options right now are as someone said go down to the Kenai and fish, pinks (use any lure really), silvers ( think roe under a bobber, or spoons (pixies) or spinners (vibrax). the trout fishing is getting really good on the kenai now. I'd go upper river and fish beads on a fly rod with a sinking leader right now. Or fish the russian (one of the BEST times of year to fish it, be careful of bears). That is off the kenai 2 hours from anchorage.

Anchor river (3-4 hours south of anchorage) is a fun place to fish for steelhead and that will be going on for a while.

As you have already discovered there a million options! PM me if you'd want more info. One thing for everyone is...........that sportsmens fishing info sign is totally useless. You are better off reading the Anchorage Daily news fishing report. I'd say use this page or alaska outdoors journal.
    cheers!
    I added you as a contact and sent a friend request I couldn't figure out how to send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    Hey man I'm a vet that was stationed up here and just moved back. I'm quite experienced with the area but something that would take forever to discus online. Call me sometime maybe we could hook up and chat. My name is Jason 209-625-5650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey brother thanks for the help, I saved your number into my phone so I will definitly give you a call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast