Thread: Soldier looking for helpful info

Default Soldier looking for helpful info

Hello

I just got stationed up here in Alaska at Fort Richardson. I am an avid outdoorsman, I love hunting, fishing, camping or anything that involves being outside. I have only been here about a month and I am so confused where to go and do any of it. I made it out salmon fishing once in mid Aug. I am not sure if I was doing it right or not but didn't get a bite. I would love to be able to get out this hunting season but as of right now it is not looking good since I have no idea where to go. If anyone on this forum would be willing to share some helpful information, or willing to help a Soldier out it would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure you are probably aware already, but I will say it anyway, a non resident licence is expensive, so plan to hunt on military land this year. Next year you can get off base/post and hunt a lot more area if you want to. Both Elmo and Ft Wainwright have a ton of huntable land that you can use for the price of a small game license. Check out the threads that are dedicated to moose and caribou right now, lots of guys are sharing some really good info. Also, pick up a reg book and start doing some research in the areas that you want to hunt. Unlike the lower 48, the laws up here can be a bit complex, and hunting in different sub units can have very different bag limits.

That being said, enjoy your time up here and get out into the woods or on the water every chance you get. Lots of us came up here through the military and decided to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by awhx4 View Post
    Hello

I just got stationed up here in Alaska at Fort Richardson. I am an avid outdoorsman, I love hunting, fishing, camping or anything that involves being outside. I have only been here about a month and I am so confused where to go and do any of it. I made it out salmon fishing once in mid Aug. I am not sure if I was doing it right or not but didn't get a bite. I would love to be able to get out this hunting season but as of right now it is not looking good since I have no idea where to go. If anyone on this forum would be willing to share some helpful information, or willing to help a Soldier out it would be greatly appreciated.
    I would imagine you know this already, but if you don't, there are great forums here for each of the activities you are interested in. If you have specific questions regarding any of them ask away and I'm sure you'll get a LOT of answers. I'm not saying you won't get helpful information here about hunting, but you're probably more likely to get more answers on the activity specific forum you're interested in.

I fish saltwater almost exclusively, and I don't hunt (not opposed to it, just don't have time since I spend every waking hour fishing!) and I am more than happy to share any information that you might be interested in regarding saltwater fishing, but if you ARE interested in fishing saltwater there are a million different methods and varieties of fishing to be had so it's pretty hard to just give you blanket advice on what you should or shouldn't do. So if you have specific questions just fire away and I'm sure you'll probably get so many answers your head will spin.

And you can also use the "search" function if you have a specific question you'd like answered. For example, if you'd like to know about "winter king fishing" just do a search for "winter king fishing" and you'll get all the posts that "winter king fishing" shows up in. Then if you have specific questions that aren't answered in any of those just ask away and you'll get a bunch of different replies.

And welcome to the forums! It is THE best place to get all of your questions answered. And for some of us, it's a wonderful place to get your answers questioned!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Shoot me a PM when you can, I'm heading to Kenai to hunt bears and chase fish the first 2 weeks of Oct, come on down and have a beer at the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I am sure you are probably aware already, but I will say it anyway, a non resident licence is expensive, so plan to hunt on military land this year. Next year you can get off base/post and hunt a lot more area if you want to. Both Elmo and Ft Wainwright have a ton of huntable land that you can use for the price of a small game license. Check out the threads that are dedicated to moose and caribou right now, lots of guys are sharing some really good info. Also, pick up a reg book and start doing some research in the areas that you want to hunt. Unlike the lower 48, the laws up here can be a bit complex, and hunting in different sub units can have very different bag limits.

That being said, enjoy your time up here and get out into the woods or on the water every chance you get. Lots of us came up here through the military and decided to stay.
    Trying to figure out wat u mean u cant hunt off post for the first year? I have my hunting license and bear tags? Non res military isnt that expensive...u cant hunt all species without a guide but as far as black bear, moose, and wolf as long as ur in the right area im 95% sure its legal?

TO hunt off base you will have to buy a nonresident tag which is only $85. However, if you are going to get a moose tag to hunt off base, thats $400, black bear is $225, and wolf is $30. If you hunt on base all three are free because you can hunt on a "non resident/ military" tag which runs $25. Im just saying its a lot cheaper to go this route, not that its a requirement. Tag and license fees are on pages 9-11 of the hunting reg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    TO hunt off base you will have to buy a nonresident tag which is only $85. However, if you are going to get a moose tag to hunt off base, thats $400, black bear is $225, and wolf is $30. If you hunt on base all three are free because you can hunt on a "non resident/ military" tag which runs $25. Im just saying its a lot cheaper to go this route, not that its a requirement. Tag and license fees are on pages 9-11 of the hunting reg.
    I didnt pay that much non resident military license...
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...icenseinfo.pdf
    25$

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    I didnt pay that much non resident military license...
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...icenseinfo.pdf
    25$
    Sent before i was done...you can hunt and fish off post with non resident military license

Thats really cool! I had no idea they passed this law. Alaska has always been good about supporting our military. oh, and thank you for your service!