Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier needing any helpful information

Default Soldier needing any helpful information

Hello

I just got stationed up here in Alaska at Fort Richardson. I am an avid outdoorsman, I love hunting, fishing, camping or anything that involves being outside. I have only been here about a month and I am so confused where to go and do any of it. I made it out salmon fishing once in mid Aug. I am not sure if I was doing it right or not but didn't get a bite. I would love to be able to get out this hunting season but as of right now it is not looking good since I have no idea where to go. If anyone on this forum would be willing to share some helpful information, or willing to help a Soldier out it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Get a copy of the hunting regs and start studying them.
    2. Figure out what the one species of game is in Alaska that you want to hunt/harvest.
    3. Make sure you have the appropriate license and tags for whatever you are pursuing.
    4. Concentrate on that one species till you have it figured out then move to the next.

It is very easy to get in over your head and accomplish nothing or to get yourself into trouble up here. Go slow and do it right the first time.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Ah you sound just like me when I first posted on here, not to worry many guys on here willing to help you out, but you gotta help yourself first. Well first I hope you have a copy of the regulations, read them very carefully, I have hunted in other states and the regulation booklet here is by far the most confusing. As far as where to go, well the majority of the guys here will not give out that info too easily, it will most likey be in very general broad terms, as in check out this unit or this range. Tell us a little about yourself, like what you do, what kinds of guns you have, what kind of transportation. Every so often some guys will post on here looking to take someone new out, or looking for a partner to go with. Good Luck!

Yeah, I have a copy of the reg's but like you said it is confusing. I am a desiel mechanic in the Army. I have a Remington 300 win mag, and 30-06, a 12ga and I also have a Bow-tech destroyer that I still have to set up. I just got back from being deployed a couple months ago long enough to clear Fort Hood, TX and move up here. I am looking to get a small caliber rifle to hunt small game like rabbits, and stuff. I wish I had a 4-wheeler but maybe after taxes. I drive a 97 dodge ram 1500 4x4. I have been trying to get stationed up here for a while, now that I am here it is a little overwhelming.

If you are not currently NBEF/IBEP certified get your bow setup and take the bow hunting education class offered by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. This will open more doors for you on where and when you can hunt. Some of the opportunities are right on base for moose and across the highway for bears, moose, and sheep!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ered.bowhunter

A Dodge man and a 91B?? Oh man well we should get along just fine then...what unit are you in? Dont listen to Bronco, forget the pointy stick crap and stick to the boomsticks!

Another good source of info is the Department of Fish and Game website. There is a lot of information there below the surface if you dig around enough. Some of the best things I have found are the harvest databases and the population survey reports. The harvest database can be sorted into a bunch of different categories, or what I like to do is import them into Excel then you can sort and filter however you like. It is useful for finding out how many hunters are in any particular area, success rates, horn/antler data, and transportation methods. Although some of the population surveys are a little out dated, by a couple of years, it provides good info on populations of the different big game speices, and historical trends for population and harvest.

It might be a lot to go through and plan a hunt for this year, but it provides some good reading and independent research in the off season.

Go to REI in Anchorage. Pick up several different Alaska Trail guide books (Books usually are split up by region). Take the books and read the trail reports. Split the trails up into which GMU they are in then read the regs for that area CAREFULLY to make sure there are no restrictions. Some places require you to be x-distance from a trail/road/camping area etc before you can hunt, have weapons restrictions, or may just be flat out closed. Once you have some cool looking trails identified that get you into legal hunting ground then it is time to make some trips! Your 12 Gauge will do you fine for grouse/ptarmigan and hare and will be good bear defense as well with the right loads so might as well take it along. Get up high, explore AK and maybe knock over a few birds.

Take decent binoculars (Nikon Monarch 10x42's are a favorite for many) and take your time. I don't mean just take your time only on the trails but in the truck getting to the trails as well. This time of year is a great time just to drive around and see where people are parking. Odds are if there are a few trucks and empty trailers along the road people are going hunting somewhere nearby! Get an AK Gazetteer and start marking it up as you drive around. In fact, get 2 of them... Keep one at home and only put researched info in it. The other keep in that old dodge and every time you are out and about and see a possible trail or "area of interest" mark the location in the book and make a note to research it later. Once you have researched it transfer the info over to the good book if it looks interesting.

Make sure you follow the license info on page 11 of the regulations. You get some benefits being military for fee reductions, but you are still not a resident of the state even if you are paying a resident fee amount.

Lujon gives some pretty good advice up there.

The best way to look at the regulations is to learn what you can not hunt. Here is an example.
    Open the Unit 13 regulations. Automatically cross off griz, sheep, and goats from your options. You need a guide for these species and you don't have that kind of money right now. Next year when you are a resident after 12 months you can go get these species.
    Next look at moose on the table. You missed the drawing application time last December so anything in the Permit/Hunt# column with a C or D followed by a number is off limits. Then look at the far left column and see that there is a big R in the row for Moose under a harvest ticket (HT). Since you are not a resident (R) you can't moose hunt in Unit 13 either.
    So what is left for you in Unit 13? You can take 3 black bears per year, 10 wolves per day, and one wolverine per year as a non-res.

Looking at Unit 14 you are in the same situation for griz, sheep, and goats as unit 13. However, if you notice in the moose section there is a B in that far left column for all those HT rows for bull moose. You are in luck for sub units 14A and 14B for moose hunting. However, you are competing with half the state (350,000) for those animals.

So now you just need to know where to go. In 14B I can't help you, but there are lots of areas to get into that unit from since it is bordered on two sides by roads - its everyones back yard basically. In 14A you can go to the end of Maud Road up the Knik and hike around. Lots of people, and not many legal bulls, but there are animals around. Also a duck hunting spot if you have access to a shallow water boat of any kind.

Keep in mind that any place with a road that is easily driven will be "over hunted" by weekenders and afterworkers. Lots of pressure when you are close to town. Places that are further from town but still on a road will also have pressure near the road, but pressure drops off just a little ways from the road and access trails for ATVs.

Thanks for all the good info, I definitly have some research to do, but I don't mind doing that. Lujon what, or where is REI I really like the ideas about using the books to start getting an idea.

Matt83 I am in 725th BSB. I got here about a month ago but then took leave to find a place and get settled in. Yesterday was my first day in the unit.

Thanks everyone for the info. I can't wait to actually get outdoors and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by awhx4 View Post
    what, or where is REI
    Its a recreation clothing and equipment store on the corner of Northern Lights and Spendard in mid town. Lots of camping/biking/hiking/climbing gear, but they have a great map and guide book section.

thanks I will check that out.

Might as well hit up Barneys Sports Chalet while you are going to REI, it is just down the road from REI and is a great hunting store.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Might as well hit up Barneys Sports Chalet...
    Might need to bring a credit card or two for that place, or have some very deep pockets

http://barneyssports.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Might need to bring a credit card or two for that place, or have some very deep pockets

http://barneyssports.com/
    You can window shop. Thats about all I do in there but it is fun and they have one of the best selections of quality clothing.

I don't mind window shopping I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. Everything up here is so much more expensive.

I don't mind window shopping I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. Everything up here is so much more expensive.
    Its not that bad, plus man with all that COLA we get??

I am gonna let you in on a little secret..YOU DONT need all the fancy crap to pull off a successfull hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I am gonna let you in on a little secret..YOU DONT need all the fancy crap to pull off a successfull hunt....
    I agree with Bear on this...alot of guys seem to think there is a correlation between the most expensive/fanciest gear and success in the field

No need to run out and buy any clothing, the military issued items you have work great and are what I do the majority of my outdoor activities in while in Alaska. Heck my family looks like a military surplus store at times but we are comfortable, dry, and warm.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast