Thread: Dollies off the spit in Homer? or Seward?

Default Dollies off the spit in Homer? or Seward?

Ive read a few posts here in the past about guys getting some dollies off of the spit.

I have to go to Homer for a few days and was wondering if its worth specifically targeting them or is it more of a random catch?

Same for Seward.

Wrong time of year?

Any info on saltwater Dollies appreciated.

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

If I were going to Homer right now I would be seriously looking at a winter/feeder king charter. I hear they're doing quite well on kings lately. Of course, that's more expensive than dollies... As for dollies in the area, I'd look at the Anchor River.

Dollies in the Anchor River! Kings are a question right now been way to windy for too long, it had slowed way down unless you call a 5lbr a king.

caught a 3lbr on homer lagoon chasing kings using nnbr 6 vibrax.n coming tide so it was random

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ive read a few posts here in the past about guys getting some dollies off of the spit.

I have to go to Homer for a few days and was wondering if its worth specifically targeting them or is it more of a random catch?

Same for Seward.

Wrong time of year?

Any info on saltwater Dollies appreciated.

thanks
    Wrong time of year now for dollies in salt. They are in fresh water looking for where the kings are. I'm sure they're scratching their chins trying to figure out where they will get their life sustaining egg supply from. They will become close friends with any stinky pink or silver they can find. Homer salt dollies are available from roughly mid April till end of June. Pretty much the same at millers landing in Seward. They should be starting to turn to their spawning colors these next few weeks inriver on the KP.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Default Dolly off the Homer spit

Here's something awesome I saw on the Homer spit. My boys were catching P.Cod and various fish at the end of the spit and this mother and 3 year old boy came down, first day in Alaska, they had moved to Homer from Hawaii. The boy could barely cast 10 or 12 feet but he kept trying, when the water exploded 10 feet from his boots. He had casted one of those little brass fish-shaped spoons and a huge dolly got it and he was able to drag it to shore by himself. It must have been at least four pounds and the funny part is that he wanted to cut it up and use it for bait for a bigger fish. I wish I had a picture. Anyway I think May and June is best for dollies in the salt water there.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

I have to go to Homer for a few days and was wondering if its worth specifically targeting them or is it more of a random catch? Same for Seward. Wrong time of year? Any info on saltwater Dollies appreciated. thanks
    If you're really interested in catching dollies then this might be a bit off topic, but I certainly would consider what Brian had to say. Right about now "winter" kings rule. The first pic is a 20 pounder I caught about 3 hours ago. And the second pic is what it looked like about 1 hour ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com