Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good caliber for Grizzly ?

Default Good caliber for Grizzly ?

Hey everyone, I am planning on trying to kill a grizzly when I get back IN PROB LATE October. I was just wondering what caliber rifle you guys would recommend.

Done it with 30-06. Recommend .300 win mag. Or larger. Break the shoulders then go for the vitals.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

My personal favorite is the 5.56mm, I like the AR platform and a 30 round mag. This gives me rapid fire capability and a good supply of ammo in case one charges me. You can never have too much ammunition in your weapon when a grizzly bear charges and I have heard they are real fast!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=caliber

Here is another thread that tells all. You just let the cat out of the bag with this question... You are going to get 22 LR to 50 cal. I shoot 338 and my son shoots 300 WM. Both will do and have done the job.

I would have to agree with Bronco on this one, I like the 5.56mm as well though personally I would use the M249, nothing like ripping through 200 rounds in less than 30 seconds.

Though on second thought since you cant legally use a fully automatic weapon hunting, I would go with the Barrett .50, when you can pink mist a skull at a mile you know youve got a good caliber

Ya I have an -06 back home that I have always hunted with but unfortunately im not huntin white tail haha. I've been lookin at a reminton 700 .300 win mag.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Done it with 30-06. Recommend .300 win mag. Or larger. Break the shoulders then go for the vitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Though on second thought since you cant legally use a fully automatic weapon hunting, I would go with the Barrett .50, when you can pink mist a skull at a mile you know youve got a good caliber
    Just checked the ever handy regs and you are correct machine guns are not authorized in Alaska. But they fail to provide a definition of what constitutes a machine gun?

So I did the next best thing and went to the ever trusty Wikipedia and this is their definition of a machine gun.

A machine gun is a fully automatic mounted or portable firearm, usually designed to fire bullets in quick succession from an ammunition belt or magazine, typically at a rate of several hundred rounds per minute.
    Machine guns are generally categorized as submachine guns, machine guns, or autocannons. Submachine guns are hand-held small portable automatic weapons for personal defense or short-range combat firing pistol-caliber rounds. A machine gun is often portable to a certain degree, but is generally used when attached to a mount or fired from the ground on a bipod, and generally fires a rifle cartridge. Light machine guns are small enough to be fired and are hand-held like a rifle, but are more effective when fired from a prone position. The difference between machine guns and autocannons is based on caliber, with autocannons using calibers larger than 16 mm.[1]

On the other hand you can use suppressors so the Grizzly won't know what direction you are shooting from.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    My personal favorite is the 5.56mm, I like the AR platform and a 30 round mag. This gives me rapid fire capability and a good supply of ammo in case one charges me. You can never have too much ammunition in your weapon when a grizzly bear charges and I have heard they are real fast!
    Your starting to sound like 323!

I wager that the 30-06 has accounted for more dead grizzly and brown bears in Alaska than any other caliber.

Load one up with 180gr-220gr quality bullets like Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frames, or Nosler Partitions and you will be set. Good bullets that have a delayed expansion and hold together well will do the trick as long as you do your part when shooting.

If you shoot like crap using a .470 Nitro Express isn't going to make up for your crappy shooting. So start with what you are comfortable/used to shooting and go from there.

This was done with an -06. 4 rounds into the bear. 41 yards. Ended up 9' even

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346958957.127716.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Your starting to sound like 323!
    Did I ever bring up hunting moose with a sword? Didn't think so!

WOW what a kill! Where was this, I have been deployed so i havent had a chance to any scouting.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    This was done with an -06. 4 rounds into the bear. 41 yards. Ended up 9' even

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346958957.127716.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kdemm89 View Post
    WOW what a kill! Where was this, I have been deployed so i havent had a chance to any scouting.
    Sorry bud, no one is going to tell you where they shot anything ever...some guys might even go so far as to blindfold you if they ever take you with them!

This was out of Cantwell...2008. Got that bear, my partner got a moose, and I got a caribou that week.

Lol I'll give...general area...when I say out of cantwell I mean...10 hours out.

Did I ever bring up hunting moose with a sword? Didn't think so!
    You cant be serious?? But then again....

Quote Originally Posted by kdemm89 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am planning on trying to kill a grizzly when I get back IN PROB LATE October. I was just wondering what caliber rifle you guys would recommend.
    .475 or .500 Linebaugh

http://www.dustinlinebaugh.com/alaska-grizzly-hunt.htm

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Seriously though. Lots of good calibers out there. Just make sure you're using quality ammo/bullet and know how to hit what you're aiming at. I killed a small Interior Griz with a 325wsm with 220gr Gamekings.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I wager that the 30-06 has accounted for more dead grizzly and brown bears in Alaska than any other caliber.

Load one up with 180gr-220gr quality bullets like Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frames, or Nosler Partitions and you will be set. Good bullets that have a delayed expansion and hold together well will do the trick as long as you do your part when shooting.

If you shoot like crap using a .470 Nitro Express isn't going to make up for your crappy shooting. So start with what you are comfortable/used to shooting and go from there.
    I don't usually get involved in these threads, but here goes..

In my limited experience and opinion, true grizzly (as opposed to the much bigger coastal browns) don't require the mega magnums. I was in on TWO grizzly kills this last weekend, and the old 30-06 did fine for both. Mine was a 8.5+ footer and would have likely made the B&C All Time book if I had been just one drainage further north. Nothing wrong with the bigger guns, but it's much more important that you are very familiar with the rifle and can shoot it fast and accurately. Things can happen very very quickly with bears. If you are already using a 700, then moving to the same gun in a .300 or .338 should be no issue, otherwise you might as well use what you have and are familiar with considering you aren't going to have much time to practice on your return.

Broncoformudv sums it up well. I used 180 gr Accubonds and the other guy was using 220 gr round nose. Both worked fine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast