View Poll Results: What's your favorite raingear for Alaska activities? Choose one of the following.

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am interested in purchasing Peter Storm Rainwear.

2 3.33%
  • I am interested in purchasing Helly Hansen Impertech.

28 46.67%
  • I am interested in purchasing Marmot PreCip.

3 5.00%
  • I am not interested in purchasing, I believe Peter Storm Raingear is the best raingear available.

3 5.00%
  • I am not interested in purchasing, I believe Helly Hansen Impertech is the best raingear available.

14 23.33%
  • I am not interested in purchasing, I believe Marmot PreCip is the best raingear available.

2 3.33%
  • I prefer another brand of raingear.

8 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Raingear For Alaska Outdoor Activities?

Default What's Your Favorite Raingear For Alaska Outdoor Activities?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am considering putting together another ODD Group Buy (pending approval by Brian and David). As suggested by cold zero, raingear is a topic that is often discussed in multiple threads on the ODD. After some discussion, we thought we would see what your input is before I get full-fledged into researching the best deal for the most sought after gear.

I have put together a poll with the raingear most often discussed in these forums. I would like you to vote to find out what your favorite or most wanted raingear is. I have listed the appropriate websites so you can view each of the items being considered.

ALL MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO VOTE ASAP!
    THIS POLL WILL ONLY BE OPEN FOR 7 DAYS! (April 25)

Peter Storm Rainwear http://www.peterstorm.com/3nosweat.htm
    *See Jacket http://www.peterstorm.com/316page.htm
    *See Mountain Jacket http://www.peterstorm.com/317page.htm
    *See Bibs http://www.peterstorm.com/302page.htm
    *See Pants http://www.peterstorm.com/303page.htm

Helly Hansen Impertech
    *See Jacket http://www.hellyhansennw.com/catalog...roducts_id=213
    *See Bibs http://www.hellyhansennw.com/catalog...roducts_id=579
    *See Pants http://www.hellyhansennw.com/catalog...roducts_id=214

Marmot PreCip (Be sure to follow links at top of page to get complete specs and technical info)
    *See Jacket http://marmot.com/spring_2007/mens/o.../precip_jacket
    *See Full Zip Pants http://marmot.com/spring_2007/mens/o..._full_zip_pant
    *See Pants http://marmot.com/spring_2007/mens/o...ls/precip_pant
    Last edited by BucknRut; 04-18-2007 at 21:15.

I am sure that these would all be very good choices. I am tempted to jump in on this for 2 sets. I just need some information on weight and packability of each of the items. I am looking for gear for back pack hunts, so compact and light weight are key.

I bought Impertech bibs from serria on a close out. The bibs I gave $33.00 that included shipping. I bought my Deluxe top from someone else and gave the same for it also. So I ended up paying $66.00 dollars delivered, I thought this was a good deal. They do not match but I am not to concerned with that. My bibs are yellow and the top is navy. There are good buy's out there.

I like grundens and guy cotton Imperitech is OK but its very light and has tons of things to snag things on.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am sure that these would all be very good choices. I am tempted to jump in on this for 2 sets. I just need some information on weight and packability of each of the items. I am looking for gear for back pack hunts, so compact and light weight are key.
    LuJon I included all of the links in the description below the poll.

I realize the Peter Storm gear site is not very influential, I wish I could tell you more but I am not that familiar with it. What I do know is that it can be had in camouflage patterns and there is a length jacket available,two much desired characteristics.

Impertech is probably the most talked about raingear and from what I have heard, it is extremely good stuff and very durable. The downfall I have heard is that it is heavier than Marmot Precip and that you may sweat if not vented well.

Marmot Precip is considered to be extremely light in weight and it is supposedly very dependable from what I have heard. I think this a favorite of sheep hunters.

These are just a few notes based on what I have heard from others and what I have seen in stores. I have no experience with any of the above gear. Maybe some others with experience can chime in as to why they voted the way they did.

buck

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    I bought Impertech bibs from serria on a close out. The bibs I gave $33.00 that included shipping. I bought my Deluxe top from someone else and gave the same for it also. So I ended up paying $66.00 dollars delivered, I thought this was a good deal. They do not match but I am not to concerned with that. My bibs are yellow and the top is navy. There are good buy's out there.
    Barko, I think you got yourself a great deal! I did see the sale at Sierra, but chose not to purchase because they did not have any in OD color. I will be using them primarily for hunting.

I have done some research on Impertech prices and it appears that we may be able to get a jacket/pants combo in OD for about $110 shipped to the door. That is just an estimate for now. I will try to work the price down if there is enough interest for Impertech expressed in this poll. I will be glad to work on price for the Marmot and Peter Storm or any other desired brand if members would prefer otherwise.

Oh, and if I there are 500 of you out there, Impertech will run a special order in camouflage!

buck

I hit the wrong button, my favorite rain gear is Impertech.

I would be interested in 2 sets of impertech

Thanks to the helpful members of this site I was introduced to impertech rain gear.

I am very impressed with the impertech bibs I bought at sportsmans warehouse last sept. I am pretty hard to fit. 6' 7" tall and weigh more than 400lbs. the 4xl bibs fit well with room for layers if needed.

I am so suprised that they didnt come apart on our bear hunt in pws last sept. I am not a agile as I was. But I managed to get in and out of all kinds of tough spots, ravines etc. Thrashing through the brush on montaghue island for 2 days in pouring down rain, the bibs performed perfectly.

I have not been able to find an imperteck jacket to try on but intend on it. I would reccomend them to anyone looking for a moderate priced rain gear.

Default Sitka?

Is Sitka out of the question for a group buy! I know they are WAY backordered, but wasn't sure with all the interest if we could get the price down!

Wyatt

Thumbs down Sitka Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Is Sitka out of the question for a group buy! I know they are WAY backordered, but wasn't sure with all the interest if we could get the price down!

Wyatt
    Stika Gear was actually our very first consideration for the next group buy. Yes they are backordered, a large scale production is supposedly due out soon. And YES one of our loyal members did inquire about getting a reduced group rate and they were NOT receptive of the idea. He even explained how the talk on these forums would be great free advertising for them...no go. I have not spoken with the personally, but after hearing of the last conversation (lack of business and personal skills), I'm not sure I am interested anymore. I may try contacting them after they get a little less backed up.

-buck

Lightbulb Marmot Precip

I was really expecting to see more people favoring Marmot. I looked at it in the store and it seemed like it would make for a good lightweight protective garment. Seems sealed and all. Maybe it doesn't hold up well in the field? Just a thought.

-buck

I actually prefer Cabela's Ultrapack top & bottom; they're breathable, have kept me bone dry during a few days of rain & wet brush, and suffered only a minor rip during a day of bushwacking. They pack to the size of a pair of winter socks, too. They were the best purchase I made last year.

Default Marmot All the Way

Grundens are great for winter but way too hot for summer. Impertech has no pockets and I feel over-priced for what you get. I like the look of the Marmot full-zip pants-as it gives better access to pockets,get in and out,etc. I would be up for trying the Marmot gear,all around, as it looks to suit my needs better than the other choices mentioned that I have already tried out.

Thumbs up Glad to see we've got 15 interested in purchasing!!

Now, if we can get to 20 people interested in purchasing, we may be able to get the price reduced some and if we reach 25 orders, then it could be a lower price yet! I am not using this poll as official numbers, but it is good to get an estimate so I have somewhat hard numbers when I speak with the dealers.

Please keep the votes coming, whether you are interested in buying or not!

Thanks,
    buck

Default Type of raingear depends on what I'm doing.

For hunting I like rivers west..100% waterproof and quiet.

For Fishing..Helly Hanson

I find that splitting it up like this allows me to buy more gear!

Iv'e had lots of problems with rain gear, and with all the talk on here I would be interested in purchasing a set of Impertech.

Thumbs up Great!

Quote Originally Posted by mzratm View Post
    Iv'e had lots of problems with rain gear, and with all the talk on here I would be interested in purchasing a set of Impertech.
    Now you need to vote your interest in the poll!

For those of you who are interested in purchasing rain gear, please express your interest in the poll. These are not official numbers, but they are the numbers I am going to use to get the best deal possible for us. The more people interested, the lower the price! Simple as that! I will post an official count poll if I get the okay from Brian and David.

-buck

Default Grundens.

I like my grundens. for actual "rain". (ie when it starts and doesn't stop.) Other brands don't seem up to handling days of wet. They eventually sweat.

Since I wear my waders when fishing I don't have bibs that I use usually.

After Grundens. I have Helly Hansen Impertech that I like a lot.

I have frog togs that I like.

I have sierra design lightweight top and pants that I like.

I wear my Shell from my winter coat all the time if I know I won't be out in the rain for more than a day.

That's all folks!

My experience has been that breathable waterproof claims are bunk, as I never find them to consistantly breath, even with the vents as open as possible, and once the shell get's a little dirty, water runs right through.

The only true rain gear I trust is real waterproof non-breathable gear. Adjust your underlayers as required, and once the rain lets up, peal off the rain gear so your wicking underlayers will dry via evaporation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast