Thread: POW Deer hunt

Default POW Deer hunt

Just had a quick question on the Prince of Wales Deer hunting. I've done alot of researching about the island and have seen many a lodges to stay at that offer many different types of amenities, but I seem to be leaning more towards Thornebay Lodge, Does anyone have any recent stays or anything to say about this lodge or any other lodge that would further my research. Thanks

I would check out Coffman Cove Adventures if you have not already. I know they book up fast and if you are looking for this year you might be out of luck. Give Gooch a call, he might have some recommendations for you.

Yep we're full up for the year (we only do 4 weeks with a few guys so it's mostly the same folks). Anyway, depending on how 'rough' you want to go, you can make it happen. Tent, hotel, cabin, B&B. I would look at the Trophy Inn, Cabins In Alaska, etc. TB lodge is a nice place but it really doesn't matter where you stay as much as if they have everything you need to take care of the tasty deer. Good luck!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

It seems like all the lodges have just about everything needed for deer hunting, one of the main questions is the hunting pressure for around October and November? I know they have over 2500 miles of road system and I know that getting off that road system is key to killing animals but with what seems like a lot of deer hunting lodges for a small island, how's the pressure? I am hoping to do this for next year yet I am currently military moving to the lower 48, staying a resident would it still be possible to hunt black bear if there is still one roaming around at that time? Thanks

http://www.trophyinn.com/
    We always stay here the Bussey's are great people and have a very nice place you should check it out. We have stayed several times with them. Don is an avid deer slayer and has some brusiers to brag about he has taken on POW. You should'nt have a problem finding deer they are everywhere on POW.

If you get off the roads you should be alone, say 100yds from them, at least that was my experience. I never liked it during the rut, way to many roadies. If you actually want to hunt, you'll be all alone, go early and hunt em high.

I do not know Gootch but you would be hard pressed to find a better person than Don Bussey! I would highly recommend Trophinn!

Default TO know me is to love me BigMo!

All kidding aside, Don is great, the reason I recommended the Trophy Inn. Matter of fact some of my fishing clients are moving there tomorrow on my recommendation since I have no room for them next week. I also agree with the go high, kill deer mantra though I don't have time to do it myself much. Local fella saw 50+ bucks yesterday but only 3 mature. Seems to be an age class missing from what the alpine fellas are reporting. Anyone else seeing this? I feel it is just pressure on the easily accessible mountains but I could be wrong. No matter what good luck, swing by for coffee or a beer when you're on the island.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Bertha I also had to giggle at the comment - for such a small island there seems to be a lot of deer hunting lodges. My friend it is the third largest island in the US ;-) As for pressure there is quite a bit during the rut, lots of Ketchikan folks (who can blame them I would be over here too), but there is endless tracks of land if you walk. Road hunters will abound, be willing to walk. Bear - possible but probably not likely.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island