Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed south, looking for rainbows, dollies or silvers - any suggestions?

Default Headed south, looking for rainbows, dollies or silvers - any suggestions?

Was supposed to take the ferry to Cordova but it broke down. Been planning this trip for almost a year. To say the least, I'm very disappointed...

So, Plan B - head south. But, since I really didn't have a plan B, I'm up for suggestions for fishing from Anchorage to Homer...

Any news on Quartz creek or the Russian for rainbows and dollies? Any silvers in the Soldotna area? Anything running in the Ninilchik or Anchor rivers? I'm up for just about anything at this point...

Have you looked into flying to Cordova? I'd imagine that the tickets wouldn't be much more expensive than the ferry fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Have you looked into flying to Cordova? I'd imagine that the tickets wouldn't be much more expensive than the ferry fare.
    At this late in the game, flying would have been way more. For 2 of us it would have been about $1000 plus car rental. The ferry was about $450 with bringing our truck. Hopefully, next year....

What about taking the ferry south from Homer to Kodiak and fishing their road system for silvers and dollies?

(Sorry, I'm not much help on the main point of your question, as I haven't fished the Kenai Peninsula lately. Just thinking out loud...)

A coworker of mine fishes the Anchor almost daily, he says dollies and trout are hittin' good, with the occasional silver, and steelhead should be running strong soon.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Kodiak sounds interesting !!, how long of a ride is the ferry out of Homer and does Kodiak offer much of a road system with good access to many rivers with good bank fly fishing ? Sorry to but in but this really sounds like fun !!! What about lodging ? Probably very pricey .Could this be a do it yourself trip ?
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Kodiak sounds interesting !!, how long of a ride is the ferry out of Homer and does Kodiak offer much of a road system with good access to many rivers with good bank fly fishing ? Sorry to but in but this really sounds like fun !!! What about lodging ? Probably very pricey .Could this be a do it yourself trip ?
    I've done Kodiak several times. I've never had much luck. Seems everyone else does good but me. There are several streams along the road system with easy access. See alot of fish but most have lock jaw. I think if you get on the river before everyone else, you'd probably do good. But, there are a lot, I mean a lot of bears. I have a friend there and we've always stayed with her and she always loaned us a car. So, I don't know how much it'd cost for lodging and car rental. The good thing about kodiak is there are way less people. You can have a big stretch of water all to yourself... Flights are fairly cheap but I've never done the ferry. I would think it'd be a long ferry ride....

Default Headed south, looking for rainbows, dollies or silvers - any suggestions?

Check out this recent thread about Kodiak.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=117868
    Last I checked it was only 7,500 Alaska Airline miles each way to Kodiak and got an email this morning that they're selling the miles at a discount until the end of the month. I've never been to Kodiak, but I can live vicariously through you if you decide to go. The above thread has a lot of good info on an affordable trip.

I was in Kodiak a few weeks ago while there were millions of pinks around.

I did find it more difficult to fish the rivers because they did not bite as much so I would just head to the mouth of the river and fished the salt. I got more hook ups there and there were less people.

All I got on the peninsula is this:

Was fishing in Soldotna last week from the edgewater RV campground. (right at the bridge).
    I could see hundreds and hundreds of pinks swim by but I dont know the holes so I could not even connect with many pinks as the current was too strong.

Of the 10 or so people there, I did not see anyone hook any silvers.

Thats all I got sorry.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I fished the Russian river on Sunday. The fishing was phenomenal. Quartz creek was pretty dead though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I fished the Russian river on Sunday. The fishing was phenomenal. Quartz creek was pretty dead though.
    Dont you mean FINOMENAL? Lol.

It was good fishing, better then the kenai when you compare the two for that weekend. Perhaps we just weren't doing it right, but there were tons of people on the water both days. Need to figure out a way to go during the week when there are less people.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

You gripe about the crowds, yet post all your fishing exploites on this forum. I don't understand, what do you think is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 8weight View Post
    You gripe about the crowds, yet post all your fishing exploites on this forum. I don't understand, what do you think is going to happen.
    Who is griping? The Russian is was and will always be popular becuase it is easy to get to and because there are fish there.

It was a report with honest information.

Big Cox was

Quote Originally Posted by 8weight View Post
    Big Cox was
    Ah....Yes, I know. I meant as it wasn't a gripe. You want to see gripe? Check out all your posts....

Trying to get away from crowds, that you are helping cause. Not a gripe just trying to understand the irony here.

The upper was very good to us on Weds. We just about gave up hope until we found pods of big fish.
    Blog3.jpgBlog6.jpg

Geez man! Those are some hogs that's for sure. Sweet tat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast