Thread: Bow Hunting in Brown Bear Country

Default Bow Hunting in Brown Bear Country

Curious to hear how you fellow bow hunters handle bow hunting in brown bear country?

I was going to carry a pistol - but am debating about how to carry it as I'm concerned it will get in the way of a backpack.

Thoughts?

I carry a Glock 29 10mm shorty in a nylon chest sportsman holster. I use a "S" clip style beaner on the 4 corners and hook them to the front of my pack shoulder straps. Holds tight to my chest, doesn't flop out when I lean over or get in the way of the string.

You pretty confident in its ability to stop a Brownie?

I wouldn't be asking "How the gun will get in the way of my backpack". I would actually be thinking the other way around,"How is the backpack getting in the way of the gun". Depending on where you are hunting, open terrain vs dense alders; spot and stalk or sit and wait. How do you shoot when hunting? With a pack on or off. I am sure setup factors into that as well. If it is a question of just walking in on a hunt, that would be your primary source of protection. I would want it very accessible. Like to play devils advocate. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    That question has been beat to death on here with both sides pro and con. The real truth is no pistol is a real good bear stopper but carrying a shotgun and a bow is not practical for me. I compromise with the light weight 10mm because multiple 200 grain full metal jackets at 1200fps seems better than pepper to me and I'm "very" familiar with Glocks. I can get multiple follow-up shots on target faster with it than I can with a big hand cannon. I don't think a one shot kill handgun is out there. It may just give old brownie something crunchy to chew on but makes me feel a little better. Now with all this being said......I am carrying a 45-70 this year as back-up for Kodiak brown bear hunt but probably just the 10mm on the goat hunt and just try to avoid them on that hunt...the bears not the goats.

I carry a pistol(freedom arms 475 linebaugh) and for me its pretty simple carrying it with my back pack as my holster is on my waist belt of my pack. I dont go anywhere without my pack. On the final stalk I simply drop off my pack and go from there...

I find that slinging my .44 on my right hip interferes with my carrying the bow with my right hand. ( I shoot the bow left handed). So I wear it on my belt on the left side, cross draw style, slightly forward so the pack frame does not klink on the grip. Rubber grips would help but my .44 is a worn working gun, as a gun should be.

Do not holster up on your pack. As John Wayne stated: "An unloaded gun ain't good for nothing." If the firearm is "over there", It ain't good for nothing.

Only time I every carry the shotgun is when I am going into the bait stand and I know a brown has been in there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Are we talking coastal monsters or interior bears (granted both will jack you up) I never hunted on the coast with those biiger brownies but here in the interior I use to carry a 45 long colt or my 44 mag (perfer 45 long colt because I am very proficiant with that weapon and 3 well aimed shots are better than 1 or 2 crappy shots from a bigger caliber.
    Now adays I dont carry unless I am secifically hunting for bear. use to carry them either on hip holster of shoulder holster

I think that the interior griz are a little bit meaner than the average coastal fish eater..........my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I think that the interior griz are a little bit meaner than the average coastal fish eater..........my opinion.
    elk killer, has got this right, in my opinion,....Yet,....

once you do get to the coast, (where a lot of good bowhunting opportunites are thriving)
    and get up close and personal with a "Brown" Bear

you might feel pretty skinny with a pistol, no matter how it's slung

Maybe, Consider short barrel Pump Shotgun,...
    Easy to Carry and Unleash Power, in thick coastal brush, powerful enough, without any wondering
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Don't carry anything, it's way easier..
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    I don't know about that. I might personally carry a bow and a quiver of arrows rigged up with broadheads. Hell, I might even throw in a couple flu flu's....

When I'm bowhunting i'll generally carry my Glock 20 10mm with hot loads, better than nothing and it is easy to pack unlike hand cannons. I generally conceal carry mine in a IWB holster or I have a shoulder holster if it gets in the way of my pack. I am planning on buying a Diamond D chest holster, they are very nice. If I was in an area where I felt the threat of brown bear was very high i'd pack my Marlin 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post

Hunting in the buff scares the bejesus out of the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Hunting in the buff scares the bejesus out of the bear.
    Yeesssss!!!!!!

And you don't have to worry about hunting preassure